Whaley signs multi-year extension with Bills

YoloinOhio

-Really? How many DE's, S's and CB's did RR's GM in NY draft for him? Do you really think Rex had nothing to do with the Milliner bust or the Richardson pick? We can agree to disagree here, mostly because I don't want to hijack another thread on this, or appear as though I'm crusading. I will close with the GM/HC disagreements in NY is far overblown IMO, and didn't even become a narrative until they went 4-12 last year.

-Okay. He didn't throw a TO at the worst possible time when he beat the Pats in OT with an almost flawless drive. He's not great, but he had some success with a strong D and good WR's. Which was my original argument. Also, the rest of his team played like crap in week 17 against us. Again, agree to disagree, but most of the peanut gallery were saying he would never win more than 6 games ever. They were definitely wrong, which was my original point.

I'm pretty close to correct IMO.

The EXACT reason we let him go was not because he was not producing, he did, but that he could not carry the team to the playoffs because he would always made that crucial mistake. So far, he is proving the FO correct for letting him go. I was a guy who supported keeping him at the time, but c'mon man, he is what he is.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was part of that "peanut gallery" and stated Fitz would never lead a team to the playoffs. Fitz has yet to prove me wrong and, in the make or break quarter, was picked thrice. I would venture to say that development was not surprising to any Bills' fan.

I do remember having some heated debates with you on the subject, and yes, you were right in that regard (so far). But don't tell me you weren't a little nervous after that week 16 Pats game.

Whaley hired by OBD in 2010 and Bills fail to make playoffs 3 straight seasons. Many blame players, coaches, even GM after the fact.

Whaley promoted to GM in 2013 and Bills fail to make playoffs 3 straight seasons. Many fans blame players, coaches.

What's interesting is the phenomenon that certain fans cannot blame management. It's more common than I thought, particularly among teams where they never or rarely succeed. SF is a prime example right now. Jed York and Trent Baalke are a tire fire.

I think Whaley got his contract purely to eliminate the contractual disparity between him and RR.

My gut tells me he'll follow the same path that Darcy Regier did in 2013. Signed an extension and didn't last.

The Pegulas, perhaps not in an ultimatum, have made it clear they need to win in 2016. And witha lack of cap space created by last years spending spree it'll be even harder to re-sign their own guys, stock RR's defense, improve the OL, and hopefully find another QB option.

The EXACT reason we let him go was not because he was not producing, he did, but that he could not carry the team to the playoffs because he would always made that crucial mistake. So far, he is proving the FO correct for letting him go. I was a guy who supported keeping him at the time, but c'mon man, he is what he is.

If not carrying a team to the playoffs is your criteria for cutting a QB, I guess Taylor is on your chopping block.

If not carrying a team to the playoffs is your criteria for cutting a QB, I guess Taylor is on your chopping block.

Lol, you know how I'm going to come back at you about this. Rightfully so. It's not Taylor's MO yet (and I don't think it will be), he's only had one year, he can develop. Fitz is who he is. Don't be silly.

I do remember having some heated debates with you on the subject, and yes, you were right in that regard (so far). But don't tell me you weren't a little nervous after that week 16 Pats game.

I actually, earlier in the week, was going to start a thread about being wrong. Then I thought I'd wait....good choice on my part.

Fitz had a good season. But he's Fitz. And Fitz does Fitz things when it most matters.

Lol, you know how I'm going to come back at you about this. Rightfully so. It's not Taylor's MO yet (and I don't think it will be), he's only had one year, he can develop. Fitz is who he is. Don't be silly.

The same excuses for TT are the same ones for Fitz. Like it or not, a depleted WR group and weak defense is what kept us out of the postseason this year, same as the Fitz era in Buffalo.

Taylor has had 5 years in the NFL.

I actually, earlier in the week, was going to start a thread about being wrong. Then I thought I'd wait....good choice on my part.

Fitz had a good season. But he's Fitz. And Fitz does Fitz things when it most matters.

Never ever admit you are wrong. FireChan words of wisdom.

Either let go or promote someone over him and RR. I loathe the organizational set-up right now. Both Rex and Whaley independently reporting to Pegs is not ideal.

That depends if RR and DW are not working well with EACH OTHER......if they are then it is a very good situation.

It's a tough situation because I wouldn't have put myself into it to begin with, so it's hard to say how to move forward. Either you force Rex onto a GM/czar type (again, not ideal) or you have this disjointed mess. I don't believe that Whaley is happy with how the defense he has basically built (along with Buddy) has been rendered ineffective. I believe in the reports that there is organizational friction on Mario and some other defensive players.

There is a very strong possibility that Mario might be the problem here as well and was just a malconent.........I dont know this for sure and this next season will def answer that question.

However, I believe Whaley wanted Rex here and played a fundamental role in his hiring. That's a contentious point to many, but operating under that assumption, I fire Whaley for such an egregious error, and I try to hire someone happy with Rex.

Can we not act like they didnt do a extensive hiring search and that they interviewed SEVERAL before settling in on Rex Ryan.....and then can we also act like 1 year does not a bad coaching hire make? It has been ONE year.

The same excuses for TT are the same ones for Fitz. Like it or not, a depleted WR group and weak defense is what kept us out of the postseason this year, same as the Fitz era in Buffalo.

Taylor has had 5 years in the NFL.

People fail to see many things, especially on the Fitz & Taylor debate.

Fitz would not have taken us any further than Taylor did this year. Probably about as close, in general, because he likely would not have missed time. He's a tough SOB.

Taylor or Fitz back on the team when Fitz was running it would have got the same results. The QB did not hold us back those years as much as other issues at play which caused us to lose. Our offenses scored enough when Fitz was here to win ballgames.