Whaley signs multi-year extension with Bills

YoloinOhio

and if you believe Vic, the same type of extension that Regier got for the Sabres. One they are willing to give and then walk away from as well, the process of billionaire owners.

Vic's explanation made some good points but I still think he or his source exaggerated the ultimatum element of playoffs or you're fired.

Vic is doing quite a bit of connect the dots conjecturing based on what the Pegulas have done previously with the Sabres. I again say they have no reason to give Whaley a contract extension if they're in a wait and see frame of mind when they can very well do that right now. An ultimatum could also alter the way Whaley does his job with a shorter term focus that could end up hurting the organization. Doesn't make sense to me when examining the situation in totality.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Washington game was disgraceful. I can see Terry reacting negatively to that performance, including a warning to Rex and Whaley that he was promised by both of them that the team would perform at a high level. The product on the field that day was Division II. Terry could have said, rightfully so, that the fans aren't going to stand for that kind of garbage and they had better right the ship next year otherwise wholesale changes are to be expected. Isn't that obvious, though? Whether someone interpreted that as an "ultimatum" or not, I don't know - but it seems like common sense to me. And it's not inconsistent with an extension for Whaley - as I've said over and over again, he could be extended now but nevertheless stripped of his GM duties (or forced to report to a "czar") if that nonsense in Washington spills over into next season.

And I'll reiterate: that Washington game was abysmal. The players were lackadaisical, confused, and disinterested. The calls were coming in late. The game planning was stupid. It was a horrible effort all around and I was thinking (and posting in the Shoutbox) throughout that game that Rex could be fired if that kind of thing repeated itself.

The end result of all of the "news" this week is that there is no real news at all. Whaley may get some kind of extension, or he may not. But if next year involves more dysfunction, poor coaching, stupid schemes, bad communication, and inept player development, everyone's jobs are at risk.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Vic says the Pegulas were very upset that the meeting info leaked and that is why the contract story leaked right after but insists his report is accurate and trusts his source.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/06/audio-vic-carucci-talks-pegula-whaley-and-rex-with-shredd-regan/

I can more easily believe "results this year were unacceptable...we expect better next year, or we'll make changes to achieve better results" vs. "playoffs or you're out". I would have been happier with a 10-6 record, but as some have pointed out, the Jets are out of the playoffs with a 10-6 season that featured 5 straight wins, including defeat of the Patriots. The Steelers, at 10-6, could have been out. Meanwhile the "meh" Houston Texans and troubled Redskins are "In" at 9-7. Which teams are in better positions going forward?

But Vic Carruci makes no sense here. First of all, he says a Whaley extension makes sense because they can't allow the guy running their draft board to be a lame duck. Then, he says the extension doesn't make any practical difference: (Pegula) "would have no fiscal inhibitions about informing Whaley and Ryan they have a year to get it right" - in other words, the guy running their draft board IS, in fact, a lame duck ready to be shooed out of the building if he quacks up.

Bit contradictory, no?

Vic is doing quite a bit of connect the dots conjecturing based on what the Pegulas have done previously with the Sabres. I again say they have no reason to give Whaley a contract extension if they're in a wait and see frame of mind when they can very well do that right now. An ultimatum could also alter the way Whaley does his job with a shorter term focus that could end up hurting the organization. Doesn't make sense to me when examining the situation in totality.

Yep. I don't think there was an ultimatum in the manner that Vic reported. It wouldn't be Pegula like, it wouldn't be smart, it could backfire, and there isn't a good reason for it. It's not as though Rex and Whaley don't know the Bills have to produce next year. Whaley also doesn't need a three year extension just to prove a point or make him work harder or differently.

I do think, however, that Terry is more shrewd, tough, and mean (not necessarily in a bad or unnecessary way) than people think, and how he appears, and he really hates TBN because of Bucky and Harrington, and has no problem with sticking it to them.

My guess? Vic talked to his source after the "meeting" and was told something like, "I tell ya, I wouldn't want to be around here if we don't make the playoffs next season" and Vic ran roughshod with it.

vic says it was a "come to Jesus" meeting at OBD that they have "one year to get it right" in between the Washington and Dallas games.

See then he's wrong in his original article.

"A team source told The News that Pegula met with Whaley and Ryan about a week ago, prior to the end of the season, to review the season up to that point and look ahead."

So which is it, a week ago or after the Washington game which was almost 3 weeks ago?

But who made the environment where the coach chose to leave?

Who made the choice to hire the coach who came in with a conflicting scheme?

But who made the environment where the coach chose to leave?

Who made the choice to hire the coach who came in with a conflicting scheme?

If you remember, Ralph went and died. I think that had a lot to do with changing the environment. The nerve of him. The decision to leave was Marrones alone. You can't seriuosly blame Whaley. And the decision to hire Rex was Whaley's and the Pegulas. So with your train of thought they should all go Right? Of course you might have a problem firing the Pegulas. PS my post wasn't quite so short sighted. As i said DW has only been here for a small portion of this losing/revolving door secenario. Wade Phillips should never have been fired. The man had a winning record and was the last coach to lead this team to the post season, but the Media didn't like him and he refused to fire a friend.

Aww, Dougie and Rexy are now officially married! Who knows where they're registered?

is it legal in Buffalo?

GM and other front office contracts typically expire in May after the draft, so doubt this would have any bearing.

the date was just what the Jays have in place for Gibbons, their manager,not for what Whaley might get in this hypothetical situation.......

If you remember, Ralph went and died. I think that had a lot to do with changing the environment. The nerve of him. The decision to leave was Marrones alone. You can't seriuosly blame Whaley. And the decision to hire Rex was Whaley's and the Pegulas. So with your train of thought they should all go Right? Of course you might have a problem firing the Pegulas. PS my post wasn't quite so short sighted. As i said DW has only been here for a small portion of this losing/revolving door secenario. Wade Phillips should never have been fired. The man had a winning record and was the last coach to lead this team to the post season, but the Media didn't like him and he refused to fire a friend.

While I can understand why/how Marrone is viewed as a complete asshat here...

There were rumblings of discourse between him and the long-time team FO from training camp on. Even with one of 32 jobs in hand, with a moderately successful team, with a wealthy incoming owner, he voluntarily walked the plank. Management was retained (who has not been able to produce a winning product in a generation). Marrone left. People just 2-3 weeks before (in the leadup to the Raiders game), in a similar discussion were calling Marrone a large accomplishment/feather in the cap for Brandon/Whaley and potential NFL coach of the year. Instead, in typical Billsy fashion, it was reduced to embers.

IMO the truth of the matter is in between on both sides. I also recall Mularkey voluntarily walked the plank. The only 2 guys who produced winning records in what feels like (is) an eternity just left.

As far as blaming the Pegulas... yes. They needed to bring in someone from the outside to run/fix the organization. I do not believe they know a lot of detail on football schemes/alignments/strategy.

With that said, as they have committed this far, I support giving the staff another year or 2 to experience success... but if it doesn't come, the whole program needs to be built from the top down and NOT by Russ Brandon.

Edited by May Day 10

While I can understand why/how Marrone is viewed as a complete asshat here...

There were rumblings of discourse between him and the long-time team FO from training camp on. Even with one of 32 jobs in hand, with a moderately successful team, with a wealthy incoming owner, he voluntarily walked the plank. Management was retained (who has not been able to produce a winning product in a generation). Marrone left. People just 2-3 weeks before (in the leadup to the Raiders game), in a similar discussion were calling Marrone a large accomplishment/feather in the cap for Brandon/Whaley and potential NFL coach of the year. Instead, in typical Billsy fashion, it was reduced to embers.

IMO the truth of the matter is in between on both sides. I also recall Mularkey voluntarily walked the plank. The only 2 guys who produced winning records in what feels like (is) an eternity just left.

As far as blaming the Pegulas... yes. They needed to bring in someone from the outside to run/fix the organization. I do not believe they know a lot of detail on football schemes/alignments/strategy.

With that said, as they have committed this far, I support giving the staff another year or 2 to experience success... but if it doesn't come, the whole program needs to be built from the top down and NOT by Russ Brandon

Again unless this team is floundering majorly, maintaining stability is the key to winning. Replacing GM/HC brings the team back to the same rebuilding hamster wheel.

Whaley has done a good job and deserves the extension. Its not Whaleys fault the roster couldn't stay healthy. I don't want to hear about all teams deal with injuries, because thats a fact less response. All teams to deal with injuries, but not all teams injury situations are equal by any means. And teams who deal with the level we had usually don't win many games, yet we still got 8 wins and were in playoff contention late. We lost just about everyone who mattered on offense for multiple games this year, many at the same time, and most played hurt for most of the season. We had big losses on D too, including 2 leaders on our D in KW and AW, and many of our best players have been in and out of the lineup including our top 2 corners.

Our overall talent and depth are better than its been in years, but we not only saw starters go down...many starters...but also, their backups in many cases. You would be hard pressed to find any team that endured the key injuries to its #1 QB, #1 WR, #1 TE, and #1 RB and win many games. And that was just a tiny fraction of the injury situation we dealt with.

Whaley has done a good job and deserves the extension. Its not Whaleys fault the roster couldn't stay healthy. I don't want to hear about all teams deal with injuries, because thats a fact less response. All teams to deal with injuries, but not all teams injury situations are equal by any means. And teams who deal with the level we had usually don't win many games, yet we still got 8 wins and were in playoff contention late. We lost just about everyone who mattered on offense for multiple games this year, many at the same time, and most played hurt for most of the season. We had big losses on D too, including 2 leaders on our D in KW and AW, and many of our best players have been in and out of the lineup including our top 2 corners.

Our overall talent and depth are better than its been in years, but we not only saw starters go down...many starters...but also, their backups in many cases. You would be hard pressed to find any team that endured the key injuries to its #1 QB, #1 WR, #1 TE, and #1 RB and win many games. And that was just a tiny fraction of the injury situation we dealt with.

...And the entire right side of the offensive line, the QB of the defensive secondary, the most veteran leader among the front 7...

Unfortunately, for a fanbase that hasn't seen the playoffs in 16 years many don't want to hear this. I would ask those fans to look at all twelve playoff teams and find one that endured the breadth and depth of injuries the Bills have sustained.

AFC:

Pats*** -- lots of injuries on offense but primarily after they were already 10-0. Look at their record over the last five. D healthy.

Cinci -- Dalton out, also after they already clinched. D healthy.

Pittsburgh -- Bell is huge; they lost Ben for a while also. D healthy.

Houston -- 4 QBs, so there's that, but D was healthy all year and they're in the AFC South.

Denver -- Peyton. D healthy.

KC -- Charles. D healthy.

NFC:

Washington -- healthy.

Minnesota -- healthy.

Green Bay -- Jordy. Otherwise pretty healthy.

Carolina -- Benjamin, RBs. D healthy.

Arizona -- healthy.

Seattle -- Lynch, Graham. D healthy.

I can more easily believe "results this year were unacceptable...we expect better next year, or we'll make changes to achieve better results" vs. "playoffs or you're out". I would have been happier with a 10-6 record, but as some have pointed out, the Jets are out of the playoffs with a 10-6 season that featured 5 straight wins, including defeat of the Patriots. The Steelers, at 10-6, could have been out. Meanwhile the "meh" Houston Texans and troubled Redskins are "In" at 9-7. Which teams are in better positions going forward?

But Vic Carruci makes no sense here. First of all, he says a Whaley extension makes sense because they can't allow the guy running their draft board to be a lame duck. Then, he says the extension doesn't make any practical difference: (Pegula) "would have no fiscal inhibitions about informing Whaley and Ryan they have a year to get it right" - in other words, the guy running their draft board IS, in fact, a lame duck ready to be shooed out of the building if he quacks up.

Bit contradictory, no?

Add to your argument, that if he is essentially a lame duck Terry doesn't want him to think he is - so he'll throw millions of dollars out the window by extending him to a guaranteed contract.

Nah