Carson Wentz in the second?

I haven't seen any of his games but he rising up the boards due to his potential. I watched this Draft Breakdown against Iowa St. and it shows he has a big arm and good athletic ability, like an Aaron Rodgers. He does take snap from under center and runs a prostyle power run system that would fit in with Romans Philosophy.

"Bison football brings new meaning to the terms smashmouth and power running game. North Dakota State offensive football is brutal and efficient, with drives frequently consisting of repeated power calls up the gut.

In many ways, Bison football resembles the Power Coast approach of the Stanford Cardinal, combining a West Coast passing game with a heavy emphasis on power. We have a combination of option routes and precision passing game to be really effective," Bohl said, which has an overall aim of providing the Bison with the means to stay on the field"

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/26/6005585/craig-bohl-wyoming-north-dakota-state-football-offense-defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_bj2XUqpeg

carson-wentz-ncaa-football-division-i-ch

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any prototypical sized QB such as Carson Wentz or Kevin Hogan should be a priority outside of the first round. Tyrod is the starter but we definitely need a young QB to be a backup and learn. Barring a QB like Andrew Luck it's always a crapshoot to draft a quarterback. Pick the best one available in the second or third on your board that has the prototypical size, arm strength, and above 60% completion percentage.

Any prototypical sized QB such as Carson Wentz or Kevin Hogan should be a priority outside of the first round. Tyrod is the starter but we definitely need a young QB to be a backup and learn. Barring a QB like Andrew Luck it's always a crapshoot to draft a quarterback. Pick the best one available in the second or third on your board that has the prototypical size, arm strength, and above 60% completion percentage.

They don't have to be a Luck to pick em in the 1st, a Rivers or Roethlisberger will do, which I think Cook is. It seems like they are content with TT for now so they probably wont take one in the 1st and as such a guy with potential latter will do.

"Bison football brings new meaning to the terms smashmouth and power running game. North Dakota State offensive football is brutal and efficient, with drives frequently consisting of repeated power calls up the gut.

In many ways, Bison football resembles the Power Coast approach of the Stanford Cardinal, combining a West Coast passing game with a heavy emphasis on power. We have a combination of option routes and precision passing game to be really effective," Bohl said, which has an overall aim of providing the Bison with the means to stay on the field"/

And what can be better than a Bison going to Buffalo?

Yes please. After watching him over the summer, I kinda called my shot with him.

Big arm, accurate passer, understands his place in the offense. Has the mobility, can boot both ways comfortably, accurate on the move. Needs to speed up his mental processes a bit and be smarter as a runner (some fumbles looking for extra yardage).

Watch him in the FCS championship game last year vs Illinois State, couple of great throws on the last drive to win the game. Drive started 1st & 15 at his own 17 with 1:35 left on the clock, down by 4. I don't buy the American idiom of the 'Clutch Gene' but if it exists, he has it.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Just hours ago, in reference to Carson Wentz, you wrote:

Now this thread.

Epic stuff man, it must be the (almost) offseason around here! :)

so, I did some research and watched some videos and it is clear to see he as the arm, athleticism and run a pro offense. Whether he makes it or not is anyone's guess but we need a backup who can eventually start and if he is there then take him.

They don't have to be a Luck to pick em in the 1st, a Rivers or Roethlisberger will do, which I think Cook is. It seems like they are content with TT for now so they probably wont take one in the 1st and as such a guy with potential latter will do.

I believe with Whaley running the show now the Bills will have more of a common sense look at drafting a QB & like you talk about getting a good prospect in the later rounds .

Instead of passing on all of the ones that are now either taking their teams to SB's or in the play offs consecutive years !!

that would be great IMO

I agree, it would be nice come draft time. It would be great if we could get Bandit's scouting reports on a lot of these guys. Not that he needs all of that work but his draft prep is fantastic and he understands the Bills needs. It is one thing to hear Mayock talk about "waist benders" but totally different to hear Bandit analyze how a prospect would fit in our scheme with our personnel.

On the topic, I haven't seen a ton of Wentz. I saw about 1 half of him so I don't really have an opinion.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Down side is playing in the FCS and not the FBS. Would have like to see him against tougher competition throughout the season. For the record I know it worked with the Ravens and Flacco.

"Starring at the FCS level, there will be obvious competition concerns for Wentz as he makes the leap to the NFL. He has a bad habit of staring down his reads, leading defenders to his target and making decisions pre-snap where he is going with the pass. Wentz will throw without coming to balance or setting his base and needs to improve his lower body mechanics, especially when on the move and adjusting his platform. The injury in his throwing wrist will also require monitoring moving forward."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25363115/meet-the-prospect-north-dakota-state-qb-carson-wentz

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Down side is playing in the FCS and not the FBS. Would have like to see him against tougher competition throughout the season. For the record I know it worked with the Ravens and Flacco.

"Starring at the FCS level, there will be obvious competition concerns for Wentz as he makes the leap to the NFL. He has a bad habit of staring down his reads, leading defenders to his target and making decisions pre-snap where he is going with the pass. Wentz will throw without coming to balance or setting his base and needs to improve his lower body mechanics, especially when on the move and adjusting his platform. The injury in his throwing wrist will also require monitoring moving forward."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25363115/meet-the-prospect-north-dakota-state-qb-carson-wentz

The thing with the lower body mechanics is something that needs major work, digs his feet in and won't reset them. It's almost like he makes progressions with his knees/hips than his eyes/feet. A decent QB coach should be able to get him out of the habit.

Only started 22 games so body of work isn't ideal, doesn't meet some of the Parcells QB formula. There isn't a perfect QB in the class and there might not be one for a very long time, all about investing in the traits you like and the flaws you can live with. Carson Wentz is that guy for me.

Edited by Blokestradamus

The thing with the lower body mechanics is something that needs major work, digs his feet in and won't reset them. It's almost like he makes progressions with his knees/hips than his eyes/feet. A decent QB coach should be able to get him out of the habit.

Only started 22 games so body of work isn't ideal, doesn't meet some of the Parcells QB formula. There isn't a perfect QB in the class and there might not be one for a very long time, all about investing in the traits you like and the flaws you can live with. Carson Wentz is that guy for me.

Playing against FCS competition and still staring down reads concerns me a lot. What's he going to do against the best players in the world? He's not going to be playing Montana, Weber State, North Dakota, South Dakota State,Northern Iowa, Indiana State, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, Youngstown State, Missouri State. Those gimmes don't exist in the NFL.