Carson Wentz in the second?

Please.

Yes please... B-)

I will work on this probably tomorrow. Look for pinned threads by position or position group. I'm not sure whether I'll incorporate existing threads or start fresh and let these carry their own weight.

Sorry, I intended to include all responses in a multiquote but I'm working from my phone. Thanks all for responding.

Edited by Beerball

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing against FCS competition and still staring down reads concerns me a lot. What's he going to do against the best players in the world? He's not going to be playing Montana, Weber State, North Dakota, South Dakota State,Northern Iowa, Indiana State, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, Youngstown State, Missouri State. Those gimmes don't exist in the NFL.

I think a lot of playing quarterback, regardless of the level of competition, is learning by doing. With limited experience, he's a little behind your typical QB prospect in some areas. Sat for 2 years and got injured half way into his senior year, it's far from ideal. He's had less time to have teachable moments and learning to correct when he screws up. He's got a steeper learning curve than most but I think Greg Roman's scheme would give him a level of familiarity that would ease the transition. He's used to that kind of system and having to absorb a lot of information.

In 3 weeks time, he gets the chance to practice/play with some elite competition in Mobile and that will provide a better idea of where he's at in his progression.

Id take him in the 1st round.

If you think a guy has a chance to be a good QB you can't wait. This guy is way ahead of EJ Manuel as a prospect so 1st is where I see him going.

Scouts and GMs will be looking closely at his performance against top level competition at the Senior Bowl Jan 30. If he does well you will have to spend a first to land him. I like him a lot and think he would be the ideal 2 year project with definite franchise QB potential. Only question marks are level of competition and, get ready for it, possible "slow eyes".

Regardless IMO he has as much upside or possibly more than Goff who will be the first QB off the board.

Really there is a lot to like there.

There's no way I can be sold on this guy. The level of competition is very concerning to me. It makes it such a challenge to evaluate him against other top prospects. He may become a great NFL QB, I just find it far too risky to draft him in the early rounds. Romo is really the only example of an FCS QB with NFL success in recent memory. Even he went undrafted. I'd take Wentz in rounds 4-7, but it looks like he's going to go much higher. Too much is going to be based on potential as opposed to game tape against upper echelon talent. I love taking chances on those types of guys, just not in the early rounds. No thanks.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

No way do I waste a second round draft pick on a quarterback when the team has more pressing needs. They will need a DE after Mario leaves. Zero question in my mind that this will be a priority. They need help at linebacker. Buffalo is not very good at that position either. So when I look at the first 2-3 draft picks, I'm not looking for a project. I'm looking for someone that I can put in the lineup right away that will play. As one of the other posters said, maybe a late round pick. A REALLY late round pick for a third stringer. That's about it though.

There's no way I can be sold on this guy. The level of competition is very concerning to me. It makes it such a challenge to evaluate him against other top prospects. He may become a great NFL QB, I just find it far too risky to draft him in the early rounds. Romo is really the only example of an FCS QB with NFL success in recent memory. Even he went undrafted. I'd take Wentz in rounds 4-7, but it looks like he's going to go much higher. Too much is going to be based on potential as opposed to game tape against upper echelon talent. I love taking chances on those types of guys, just not in the early rounds. No thanks.

Joe Flacco says hello.

The FCS/FBS thing is crap. There are good QBs in the FCS level. Tony Romo from Eastern Illinois, Kurt Warner from Northern Iowa, Joe Flacco from Delaware, Chad Pennington at Marshall when they were D1AA, Steve McNair at Alcorn State, Rich Gannon from Delaware. I won't add Fitz from Harvard but he is a starting QB in the NFL. Jake Delhomme was from a small school as well.

The FCS/FBS thing is crap. There are good QBs in the FCS level. Tony Romo from Eastern Illinois, Kurt Warner from Northern Iowa, Joe Flacco from Delaware, Chad Pennington at Marshall when they were D1AA, Steve McNair at Alcorn State, Rich Gannon from Delaware. I won't add Fitz from Harvard but he is a starting QB in the NFL. Jake Delhomme was from a small school as well.

Thank you.

Joe Flacco says hello.

The football acumen is significantly lacking here. Remember Kyle Boller? After 5 years, he was OBVIOUSLY not the answer at quarterback. We're coming off of one season with Tyrod at the helm. Whether he's the answer or not is an incomplete story at this point. He was drafted after a 5-11 crappy season from Boller to be the future. The Bills are no where close to the same situation. Joe Flacco may say hello, but I say goodbye to stupid reasoning and a piss poor argument.

No way do I waste a second round draft pick on a quarterback when the team has more pressing needs. They will need a DE after Mario leaves. Zero question in my mind that this will be a priority. They need help at linebacker. Buffalo is not very good at that position either. So when I look at the first 2-3 draft picks, I'm not looking for a project. I'm looking for someone that I can put in the lineup right away that will play. As one of the other posters said, maybe a late round pick. A REALLY late round pick for a third stringer. That's about it though.

TT plays a style that it is VERY easy to get knicked up

What do you suggest we do if he goes down?

The football acumen is significantly lacking here. Remember Kyle Boller? After 5 years, he was OBVIOUSLY not the answer at quarterback. We're coming off of one season with Tyrod at the helm. Whether he's the answer or not is an incomplete story at this point. He was drafted after a 5-11 crappy season from Boller to be the future. The Bills are no where close to the same situation. Joe Flacco may say hello, but I say goodbye to stupid reasoning and a piss poor argument.

What are you talking about? I was responding to a post that claimed FCS (and presumably lower) QBs couldn't cut it in the bigs.

See Gonzo's post # 33 for further details.

What does having Tyrod Taylor have to do with any of this?

Are you suggesting we should forget about grooming a prospect because of Tyrod?

Or maybe you think we already have a QB prospect on the roster to develop.

In either case you would be mistaken.

Consider making a more reasonable argument viz "a team with fewer needs than the Bills can better afford to invest in a player like Wentz" for example. Its a better road to the same place.

Tyrod Taylor doesn't need you to defend his interests. He can take care of himself.

Edited by starrymessenger

Yes please. After watching him over the summer, I kinda called my shot with him.

Big arm, accurate passer, understands his place in the offense. Has the mobility, can boot both ways comfortably, accurate on the move. Needs to speed up his mental processes a bit and be smarter as a runner (some fumbles looking for extra yardage).

Watch him in the FCS championship game last year vs Illinois State, couple of great throws on the last drive to win the game. Drive started 1st & 15 at his own 17 with 1:35 left on the clock, down by 4. I don't buy the American idiom of the 'Clutch Gene' but if it exists, he has it.

He's good, but I'd like to see him complete those passes against quicker/faster DB's. I wonder if he can get into the Senior Bowl?