Would you re-sign Harvin to $3m incentive laden contract?

Kelly the Dog

Right.

In a 6 man squad-

do you prefer harvin 8 games and possibly a street free agent cycling into a depth role if he gets hurt (as a bad outcome, but you could see harvin all year)

or the proverbial hogan type player for 16 games (with him also being a risk of missing time)

I don't know if his stock is that low yet, but if we are talking about a 1 year deal worth a fraction of 1% of our cap then it's almost the proverbial darick vs hogan debate but knowing very well what each guy involved is in the NFL

Still blows my mind that Seattle traded and paid what they did for the guy but I can't deny that when on the field he's explosive

Why?

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We absolutely have to move on. For the simple fact that he was being depended on within our offense and he's not reliable. You can't put yourself in a position to have a guy be important and then not be there. It's just not worth it even though his skills when healthy are very very good.

I originally thought if you brought him back for the minimum why not, but it's a roster spot, and you can almost guarantee he'll get hurt. As enticing as he was for a couple of games, it is time to move on.

If he was just durable, he is so much fun to watch. Too bad for him, and hope he has a good retirement plan. He's made enough money if he didn't squander it to be done.

I originally thought if you brought him back for the minimum why not, but it's a roster spot, and you can almost guarantee he'll get hurt. As enticing as he was for a couple of games, it is time to move on.

If he was just durable, he is so much fun to watch. Too bad for him, and hope he has a good retirement plan. He's made enough money if he didn't squander it to be done.

I don't think he'd play for minimum. He views himself as a "skills" player who deserves more.

I agree - he takes a roster spot, he's fun and contributes when he's healthy, and you can pretty well guarantee he'll be hurt and play hurt (eg hampered). Before he bowed out, there were times when it appeared a play was going to Harvin and he was jammed on the line and didn't get there.

That roster spot could be filled with a young WR who plays ST

Edited by Hopeful

It's crazy to even consider a player who is likely to flake out on you midway through the season like Harvin has done several times. You build your offense around a player and he's gone almost immediately? Not to mention Harvin would be a waste of precious cap space. No thanks. Find someone you can count on.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

He made a couple of big plays for this offense. Imagine if we had him all season healthy....

But no, it would be malpractice to count on this guy.

Even if he comes super cheap, if he is on your roster you are going to plan ways to use him, which takes away from other, more reliable, options.

Because he has a lot of known issues and they gave up a TON. I hate the idea of a high price tag but treated as a rental role player he could be a very good value

I'm mean, he didn't really miss a lot of time in Minnesota and he put up some pretty good numbers with Ponder at QB. Made a ProBowl too.

Right.

In a 6 man squad-

do you prefer harvin 8 games and possibly a street free agent cycling into a depth role if he gets hurt (as a bad outcome, but you could see harvin all year)

or the proverbial hogan type player for 16 games (with him also being a risk of missing time)

I don't know if his stock is that low yet, but if we are talking about a 1 year deal worth a fraction of 1% of our cap then it's almost the proverbial darick vs hogan debate but knowing very well what each guy involved is in the NFL

Still blows my mind that Seattle traded and paid what they did for the guy but I can't deny that when on the field he's explosive

Well this feels like a familiar topic :). You know where I stand. I would rather 8 games of Harvin & 8 games of Salas then possibly 16 games of Hogan.

Well this feels like a familiar topic :). You know where I stand. I would rather 8 games of Harvin & 8 games of Salas then possibly 16 games of Hogan.

The answer is obvious when you are guaranteed 8 games of Harvin & 8 games of Salas. Instead, we got about 4 games with Harvin, 5 games with Thigpen, 5 games with Moore and 2 games with Salas.

The answer is obvious when you are guaranteed 8 games of Harvin & 8 games of Salas. Instead, we got about 4 games with Harvin, 5 games with Thigpen, 5 games with Moore and 2 games with Salas.

You are never going to be guaranteed a certain amount of games with anyone. It is the risk / reward that you have to weigh. I am always taking the difference maker with question marks over the plugger with a clean resume. I will sacrifice the delta between the plugger and the street FA for the upside of the delta between the plugger and the difference maker.