Would you re-sign Harvin to $3m incentive laden contract?

Kelly the Dog

Some here seem to think that if healthy Harvin is legit as a # 1 guy, so why not ask him to assume a low cost, limited and contingent role in the O. To me this distorts the actual profile. No question that earlier in his career he was one of the most dynamic and explosive weapons in the game. While calling him a "gadget player" is probably unfair much of his production was from use otherwise than as a WR. He has never been anything like a true # 1 receiver IMO. Whats more it looks to me, whether as a result of injury or or other reason, he has lost some of his burst and cutting/change of direction ability, which is important because tho he is a burner hes hardly the fastest guy and there are many players just as fast and faster.

So as a wideout he was never as good as some people seem to think and hes not as dangerous a weapon now as he has been in the past when looking at his total skill set. And thats before you even get into the possible head case problems and potential negative lockerroom issues.

Again, if you dont have to pay him for non-performance the issue is not financial. Its a roster spot and loss of an opportunity to invest in someone who might actually help improve your WR corps moving forward. Instead of dredging up a Percy Harvin how about doing what teams good at finding and developing WRs do, like Zona, Pitt, Cinci etc...Find a John Brown, Martavius Bryant etc...in the draft. Look for good free agents -Cinci have Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu as FA in 2016. They are not going to sign or franchise both of them (and probably neither of them will be franchised). Look for promising players late in the draft- someone like Keyarris Garrett of Tulsa - Antonio Brown was a sixth round selection too. Opting instead for Harvin, whose not even sure he wants to play football and has done nothing recently to show he does, is just lazing out and hoping for the best. Its what fraudulent coaches, GMs and organizations do. Heres a thought - lets start doing it right, even if that means doing it the hard way.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sammy weren't on the picture I would re-sign him for a year but Sammy can do what he does and still be better. We need a real possesion receiver with enough concentration and hands to help out Tyrod.

Regarding Harvin, I think his hip problem is very serious, i see him retiring this year.

Placing hope on a guy like Harvin, is a bad idea.

But he's one of Rex's guys....

Vet minimum plus incentives, at the VERY most, I'd hope (after hoping just plain NO - because the guy just wants a check, not the game).

The only way I'd sign him if there was almost no bonus involved. The guy just cannot stay on the field and is completely unreliable because of that. Beyond that, he looked like a shot player to my eyes with little to no explosiveness left. I'd prefer that the Bills look elsewhere for a complementary WR for Sammy.

I agree. Whether it be draft, free agency, waivers (Hankerson)

At 3m you aren't expecting a 1000 yard receiver

If all you are going to do is run bubble screens and flys - which is all Harvin is good for as a receiver - then I'd rather pay a less established name less money and have them healthy rather than pay Harvin for 4 games again.

But he's one of Rex's guys....

Vet minimum plus incentives, at the VERY most, I'd hope (after hoping just plain NO - because the guy just wants a check, not the game).

That was basically my point. You don't lose anything on a vet minimum deal, and if he performs, he makes more money. He is dynamic, he just can't stay healthy.

If all you are going to do is run bubble screens and flys - which is all Harvin is good for as a receiver - then I'd rather pay a less established name less money and have them healthy rather than pay Harvin for 4 games again.

He'd be tied with 5 guys for 53rd among wr pay for a season at that pay rate today -- I can't stress enough how cheap $3m is for a vet. Behind him are mid round rookie contracts and guys like Easley.

Contract reads thus:

Bills make the playoffs, Harvin gets paid

Bills don't make the playoffs, Harvin gets $0

Frankly, all of the bills contracts should be structured that way--no base, no bonus, no nothing -- just make the playoffs.

Never would work. To do that one must have a stellar FO and good coaching.

easley, goodwin, harvin and hogan should all go. Woods should be put on notice.

Need a big veteran, there are always 5 or 6 of these available.

Maybe we could trade a 3rd round pick to get K. Aiken back?

I agree that the WR corps (besides Watkins) needs to be overhauled. Woods needs to show more consistency.

easley, goodwin, harvin and hogan should all go. Woods should be put on notice.

Need a big veteran, there are always 5 or 6 of these available.

Maybe we could trade a 3rd round pick to get K. Aiken back?

I am leaning the same. with your first sentence .

Bills need to fill #2 and #3 Wr asap. See if Woods can tighten up his receiving game.

But i still think Harvin was a good enough player for us when on the field. That said, I don't expect him back.