Lacanfora:Showdown could be brewing b/w Whaley,coaches

YoloinOhio

Crazy stats today - the Bills offense had 452 yards, 240 rushing yards, zero turnovers, won the time of possession and turnover battles, and the qb had a rating of 112.9.

And the game was never close.

Yeah - giving up 3 straight long TD drives to a mediocre offense to start the game will do that to you

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He liked the move. DW probably said, "Sammy is a playmaker and will be a huge factor on offense. He'll really help EJ out!" And RB was a fan of that turn of events.

If you think the GM is making decisions based on how well they'll "market," he should be fired.

Heck, ignoring EJ, look how much he's done for TT. Sammy is an excellent receiver. I think RBs influence went as far as "you guys are excited so I'm excited"

I mean, that's assembling the 90. Not the 53. Coaches make the cuts, and do gameday rosters. I was responding to someone who thought Doug Whaley had control in regards to what QB started. Every report says he has no control in that say. Along with the fact that any GM controlling the 53 and the game day roster would mean the coaches basically have no control over anything, makes that very very unlikely.

FWIW: there might still be the video on Buffalo Bills.com in which Russ Brandon says rather emphatically that Whaley has control of the 53.

FWIW: there might still be the video on Buffalo Bills.com in which Russ Brandon says rather emphatically that Whaley has control of the 53.

I actually found an article that said the same. Curious.

Heck, ignoring EJ, look how much he's done for TT. Sammy is an excellent receiver. I think RBs influence went as far as "you guys are excited so I'm excited"

Yep.

yeah that's great to want to feature Watkins but as soon as you do other teams will just lock him down. We need more offensive weapons and QB before this offense does anything.

Strange - the showdown is over how the OFFENSE has played? o_O

I mean, I want to see Sammy featured too, but chalk some some of that up to a first year QB. But the D, that's been the letdown...

If any one should be pissed it should be Whaley ! He had a view of where the team was going & last year despite the offensive coaching staff they had a winning season & a very productive & if i might say ass kicking D !

The only thing they needed was a good OC . Marrone screws the pooch for the tune of $4 mill & rather than going with some semblance of stability it's let's blow up the entire thing and start over ! :oops:

I was all about Schwartz being the next HC it's called STABILITY , he was the perfect candidate ! The D was lights out , the players liked him, he had all the fire you could ever want, & had a previous HCing experience to learn from .

Schwartz more than likely would have kept the ST coach (more stability) & either added a new OC or saw what was rumored that Marrone wouldn't let the young OC do what he wanted & kept him, once again more stability !!

I think all of this is at the front door of the Pegula's being new to the NFL & looking to make a big splash of which they did by hiring Rex . Which we are now as always seeing what change can do !

I as a fan have absolutely no idea what is going to happen or what should happen but what ever will happen will happen & alls we can do as fans is sit back & watch or stop watching & find another hobby .

Hey maybe wee should do what the Broncos did & put Jimbo in as the GM :worthy:

Seriously - what in heck is the complaint with Whaley?

Best player on the field for the Bills today - Hughes - the guy Whaley STOLE from the Colts then re-siged long term

No complaint from me. That was sarcasm.

Not on Whaley, he's gotten the players, this is on the coach fixing what wasn't broke.........

Not disagreeing exactly ... but he's gotten players to no avail. If the players can't execute the offense and suck in the defense, then what do you have exactly? A team that will extend the longest run without a playoff appearance in professional North American sports.

Whaley is no good at drafting players for the offence. He has not earned a new contract. If Pegs doesn't like him, he just doesn't renew. Getting rid of Rex is a bigger problem. He got Pegs by the short ones. Snake oil salesman and carnival barker. He's good at that tho.

This is just stupid.

Unfortunately, given the big vote of confidence from the Pegulas in giving him the Sabers FO as well, I think he's staying.

I still wonder how much influence Brandon had on the Watkins trade-up. For years, the Bills made some kind of a grand "see, we signed a star!" splash each off season (TO, Merriman etc) which had "marketing" all over it. When you watch the video of the Bills War Room during the trade, the FO people including Brandon, are positively giddy. Dealer Doug has his best poker face on, but the rest are jumping around fist pumping and high fiving.

Some pedal the goods that Brandon plays no role and has zero input. Just saying.

I don't care what the Bills do. They can keep Rex and Doug or they can fire both or get rid of one or the other. I am worn out. My spirits like so many others have been ripped from my soul. I will never drink the cool aide again. For now on the only time I will get excited is when I see them perform on the field. The Bills act is getting old. Rex did such a crap job this season. All he had to do was maintain a decent defense and have the offense marginally improve. The defense was pathetic. The players on defense hate Rex's D. I get sick of this clown and him always trying to get a laugh during his press conferences. There is no room to be a buffoon and a goof ball when your team has no self control, and can't even be focussed on game day. 16 damn seasons... I like Doug Whaley but I seriously don't care if they cut ties with him either. We have had two bad head coaching choices and he couldn't get along with either guy. If the Pegula's truly picked Rex and not Doug then they need to hire a guy they trust to make football decisions and they need to stick to the oil business. Owners who make football decisions always fail...

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

This is just stupid.

No it's not Promo.

His O-line draftees are horrible.

The only good wideout is Sammy. But moving up and paying that price shows just how clueless he is. Oh yeah and if not Sammy it's Ebron. CJ Graham befor TY Hilton? Goodwin? Look at teams that know how to evaluate WRs Pitt, big Blue, Zona, Cinci etc...

EJ is a monumental gaffe - bad enuf to get a GM fired in and of itself.

He's pretty good evaluating defensive talent in the draft but you need a GM to be good on both sides, or at least not terrible.

Edited by starrymessenger

Whaley is no good at drafting players for the offence. He has not earned a new contract. If Pegs doesn't like him, he just doesn't renew. Getting rid of Rex is a bigger problem. He got Pegs by the short ones. Snake oil salesman and carnival barker. He's good at that tho.

Nobody has El Pegual by the shorties. If he doesn't want Ryan, Ryan won't be here. Paying him his contract won't deter that decision at all.

GO BILLS!!!

If that's true Wrecks Ryan should be toast.

We shall see.

So if Ryan is retained, it's because Pegula didn't want to fire a coach he has to keep paying? Well, since it can't be proved if that's the case, I guess you win that argument. Nice.

But there are other considerations for the Pegulas here, chief among them, is another complete tear down the best thing for the organization at this point. There are pros and cons. I'm just saying Ryan's contract won't be a consideration one way or the other. If Pegula thinks a completely new direction is the one he decides is best, paying Rex will be just the cost of doing business for him.

GO BILLS!!!

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne 10m10 minutes ago

Sammy Watkins: "If you're not going to do your job, cut him. It needs to be a business. We need some nasty coaches."

More Watkins: "If they're not doing their job, get them out of here. If I'm not doing my job, step to me, get me out of here."

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne 1m1 minute ago

Mario criticized the #Bills subbing to match personnel: "If you're a bully on the field you don't let anything else dictate what you do."

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 10m10 minutes ago

Sammy Watkins: "If you're not going to do your job, cut him. It needs to be a business. We need some nasty coaches."

More Watkins: "If they're not doing their job, get them out of here. If I'm not doing my job, step to me, get me out of here."

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1m1 minute ago

Mario criticized the #Bills subbing to match personnel: "If you're a bully on the field you don't let anything else dictate what you do."

Who is Sammy talking about here?

GO BILLS!!!

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 10m10 minutes ago

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1m1 minute ago

Dayum Sammy.

once you are sure you made a mistake what is the point of waiting a certain number of years for show?

It could be for show.

OTOH, it would be a risk to fire the coach.

1. It sends a message to any prospective coaches about the organization itself. The Bills had a head coach opt out after less than 1 year under new ownership and fire the next guy after 1 season. That doesn't look like a good situation from the outside. Of course they can always hire a Mike Pettine type coach, but is that just rearranging the deck chairs?
  2. It may be missing the players as a component to what is wrong. It's easy to keep the coaching carousel spinning, but if players are mailing it in for coach A, B, C, ... why are they going to suddenly light a fire for coach T, U, V? Frankly, it isn't going to happen.

It could be for show.

OTOH, it would be a risk to fire the coach.

1. It sends a message to any prospective coaches about the organization itself. The Bills had a head coach opt out after less than 1 year under new ownership and fire the next guy after 1 season. That doesn't look like a good situation from the outside. Of course they can always hire a Mike Pettine type coach, but is that just rearranging the deck chairs?
  2. It may be missing the players as a component to what is wrong. It's easy to keep the coaching carousel spinning, but if players are mailing it in for coach A, B, C, ... why are they going to suddenly light a fire for coach T, U, V? Frankly, it isn't going to happen.

The only way you get away with this is to bring in a President level executive, a czar. Dump the GM, dump the coaches (maybe you give 1 year), cut the under-performers, eat the cap hit the next year, have a good draft and start fresh with a good FA plan the following year...

It's true. It "sends a bad message."

HOWEVER keeping someone you want to fire just to hit some magic number does nobody any favors and just ensures you waste your future.

You're assuming that the only reason to keep Rex would be to hit a magic number. That might be true.

OTOH, he may not be totally incompetent. No one is saying it worked out swimmingly in year 1, but one might hope the Bills hired him because they felt he could be a good coach.

Who knows. What a mess.

You're assuming that the only reason to keep Rex would be to hit a magic number. That might be true.

OTOH, he may not be totally incompetent. No one is saying it worked out swimmingly in year 1, but one might hope the Bills hired him because they felt he could be a good coach.

Who knows. What a mess.

They may have thought he was a good coach.

But he's not.

Wonder what idiot was advising Pegs. Or maybe it was just his decision, tho I find that hard to believe.

He had Rex on his list of HC candidates. He told the Pegulas he was in favor of the hire.

The Pegulas said they would interview every HC candidate, they went to the meeting not expecting much, they left the meeting saying this is the guy. Of course Whaley was there and he got on board with his bosses decision.