New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

:lol:

‘Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying’ in Seattle’s Greenwood area

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/both-have-crosses-so-norwegian-flag-mistaken-for-confederate-flag/

A story about the times we live in, and assumptions we can make in our current political climate.

The news tip a few days ago said:

“Hi. Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying in front of a house in my Greenwood neighborhood. It is at the north-east corner of 92nd and Palatine, just a block west of 92nd and Greenwood Ave N. I would love to know what this ‘means’ … but of course don’t want to knock on their door. Maybe others in the area are flying the flag? Maybe it’s a story? Thank you.”

It was from Rebecca Morris, who is an author of The New York Times best-seller true-crime books.

So, of course, we drove to that corner.

There was no wind, and on a flagpole there was what obviously was the U.S. flag at the top, and below, a red flag with blue stripes.

Simply hanging down, not spread out, you could make some assumptions that it was the star-filled “Southern cross” of the Confederacy

Darold Norman Stangeland lives at the corner house.

“That’s a Norwegian flag,” he says. “It’s been up there since the start of the Olympics.”

The Norwegian flag has a red background, with an off-center white-and-blue cross.

I can see where you might actually make a mistake about the flag, but WHAT POSSESSES YOU to think you have to call someone about it ??

On 2/22/2018 at 4:02 PM, B-Man said:

:lol:

‘Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying’ in Seattle’s Greenwood area

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/both-have-crosses-so-norwegian-flag-mistaken-for-confederate-flag/

A story about the times we live in, and assumptions we can make in our current political climate.

The news tip a few days ago said:

“Hi. Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying in front of a house in my Greenwood neighborhood. It is at the north-east corner of 92nd and Palatine, just a block west of 92nd and Greenwood Ave N. I would love to know what this ‘means’ … but of course don’t want to knock on their door. Maybe others in the area are flying the flag? Maybe it’s a story? Thank you.”

It was from Rebecca Morris, who is an author of The New York Times best-seller true-crime books.

So, of course, we drove to that corner.

There was no wind, and on a flagpole there was what obviously was the U.S. flag at the top, and below, a red flag with blue stripes.

Simply hanging down, not spread out, you could make some assumptions that it was the star-filled “Southern cross” of the Confederacy

Darold Norman Stangeland lives at the corner house.

“That’s a Norwegian flag,” he says. “It’s been up there since the start of the Olympics.”

The Norwegian flag has a red background, with an off-center white-and-blue cross.

Is it time for Norway to take down their flag out of respect for non Norwegians who might be offended by what it might look like?

On 2/22/2018 at 4:02 PM, B-Man said:

I can see where you might actually make a mistake about the flag, but WHAT POSSESSES YOU to think you have to call someone about it ??

I took kind of a wrong turn a few years back trying to detour around a train and ended up driving thru a less than desirable ethnic neighborhood.  Much to my amazement one of the houses was sporting the Stars and Bars.  And I don't mean some small Bills flag like we would put outside the house on game day.  This was spread out across probably half of the porches roof.

I remember thinking at first that guy must be crazy, brave, or both.  Then it occurred to me that guys neighbors probably think the same thing and would never want to !@#$ with whoever has the cojones to put that up

Edited by /dev/null

• 1 month later...

Pretty much as predicted.

So, now we are tearing down statues of *Union* veterans, too.

Zzm3lubm_bigger.jpgJosh BlackmanVerified account @JoshMBlackman

FollowFollow @JoshMBlackman
California city to remove statue of President McKinley, "a proponent of 'settler colonialism' that 'savaged, raped and killed.'" The Mayor asked "Is there a difference between honoring McKinley and Robert E. Lee...They both represent historical pain."

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The South did lose the war, why are we paying homage to losers?

This would be like the Democrats building a monument to Hillary & Al Gore... Oh wait... :P:lol:

if you get to Gettsyburg you can see the monuments put up by the individual Confederate States and their unrepentant messages on them....

One has soldiers trampling on Lincoln and Georgia tells all:    

We sleep here in obedience;
When duty called, we came;
When country called, we died

2 hours ago, Nanker said:

byrd.jpgquote-i-shall-never-fight-in-the-armed-fthey-called-me-great-the-last-great-sena

Of course the liberal response is: What difference, at this point, does it make?

They seem to forget that the KKK is the militant wing of the Democratic party. Though I do love the argument that D's and R's switched sides in the 60's, so therefore the KKK and all Democrat racists are actually Republicans.

• 1 year later...

There is more to come on this ruling next week (same judge)

Judges rules Confederate statues are war monuments

By Courteney Stuart | April 29, 2019 at 7:04 PM EDT - Updated April 29 at 7:04 PM

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (CBS19 NEWS) -- A big decision in the lawsuit over confederate statues in downtown Charlottesville is likely bad news for the city.

Charlottesville Circuit Judge Richard Moore has ruled that the statues are war monuments, which are protected under state law. That likely means the city doesn't have the legal right to take them down.

In his nine page ruling, Moore cites the fact that both Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson are depicted in their military uniforms and on horses associated with their time in the Civil War.

"I believe that defendants have confused or conflated 1) what the statues are with 2) the intentions or motivations of some involved in erecting them, or the impact that they might have on some people and how they might make some people feel,” Moore writes. “But that does not change what they are."

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1

RENAMING MANIA CURBED IN MINNESOTA

Across the country, left-wingers are demanding that politically-incorrect statues be taken down and buildings and landmarks be renamed. Here in Minnesota, the most notorious such instance is Lake Calhoun, the largest of the famous chain of lakes in Minneapolis. Hardly anyone knew it until a few years ago, when leftists began agitating, but the lake was named in the early 19th Century after then-Secretary of War John C. Calhoun. We have written about the controversy several times, e.g., here and here.

The leftists were successful: Minnesota’s Department of Natural Resources renamed Lake Calhoun Bde Maka Ska. How do you pronounce that? I have no idea. A friend emailed:

I was in Barnes and Noble where there was a display of books for Bde Maka Ska, like a beach read. A lady asked a clerk, “How do you pronounce that?” The clerk said, “Calhoun.”

img_9066.jpg?resize=550%2C324&ssl=1

But the DNR pressed on, removing all of the signs around the lake and replacing them with “Bde Maka Ska” signs. Meanwhile, a group of neighbors sued.

Earlier today, Minnesota’s Court of Appeals ruled unanimously that the DNR acted illegally. Under Minnesota law, after 40 years only the legislature can change the name of a lake. Which won’t happen.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2019/04/renaming-mania-curbed-in-minnesota.php

One of the interesting things about the Lake Calhoun controversy is that, unlike statues in formerly Confederate states, no one imagines that Minnesotans ever favored slavery. On the contrary, Minnesota joined the Union just in time to contribute heroically to the Union cause in the Civil War, and contributed the first volunteers to the Union army.

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

There is more to come on this ruling next week (same judge)

Judges rules Confederate statues are war monuments

By Courteney Stuart | April 29, 2019 at 7:04 PM EDT - Updated April 29 at 7:04 PM

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (CBS19 NEWS) -- A big decision in the lawsuit over confederate statues in downtown Charlottesville is likely bad news for the city.

Charlottesville Circuit Judge Richard Moore has ruled that the statues are war monuments, which are protected under state law. That likely means the city doesn't have the legal right to take them down.

In his nine page ruling, Moore cites the fact that both Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson are depicted in their military uniforms and on horses associated with their time in the Civil War.

"I believe that defendants have confused or conflated 1) what the statues are with 2) the intentions or motivations of some involved in erecting them, or the impact that they might have on some people and how they might make some people feel,” Moore writes. “But that does not change what they are."

</snip>

So much for people being able to decide what monuments to have in their own city 

I live in Charlottesville, and the entire process is ridiculous, and the entire issue deserves not one bit of attention.

A group of lunatics drove here and tried to do something.

Local people objected and one of them got killed.

A guy is serving a life sentence for that.

The statues are very nice, have been here for ages, and offend no normal person.

My proposal was to rename them.

Just name them monuments to guys on horses and be done with it.

This entire episode is totally wasteful and ridiculous.

Interesting, but almost everyone who was in office when this happened is gone. city manager, police chief and a bunch of others.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1