Pettine: "Wilson not top tier."

Big Blitz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in a game where your defense can't stop the other team, and you have no running game Russel Wilson is not the type of guy to carry a club throwing it damn near every down. Love his game but that's not him

Whatever, Wilson is terrific. I loved him coming out of college & could not believe the Bills did not grab him when they traded up in the third instead taking Graham. I nearly almost cried when that pick was announce because I knew Wilson had a real chance to be something special. It is almost like he doesn't get the credit because he does not fit that prototypical style QB. He is not 6-3, he is not 240 pounds but the guy knows how to play. In pregame warmups I seen Wilson do a drill that I never seen before. He stood at the 35 yard line & had a receiver stand at the one corner of the endzone with his back to Wilson & his hands stretched out to catch the ball. Wilson hit the guys hands for the catch without the receiver moving his hands on all five of his throws. That is how accurate this guy is.

And foolish to open his mouth on the topic. Nothing to be gained, much to potentially lose. No reason to burn any bridges. Even one's you have yet to cross. (Except the bridge to Crossmanville, that should be isolated.)

Agreed. Right or wrong, it's incredibly stupid for a head coach to say something like that to the media.

Agreed. Right or wrong, it's incredibly stupid for a head coach to say something like that to the media.

He also left Cam off the list although obviously they are playing Seattle this week. That said, he might want to Google a guy named Al Campanis.

Edited by 4merper4mer

How Russell really wants to respond:

“Would you put him there with the guys that can transcend their supporting cast? The Morningwhigs, whether it's David Shula, Kotite, Rod Rust, the ones that you would consider the two, three, four worst guys? No. But he's certainly coached himself into that next tier. He coaches at a low level, he's very unproductive and they lose, now a lot of that I think is a function, too, is he's the perfect coach for what they do. To me it goes both ways."

While I don't think it was smart for Pettine to say this, I'm one of the few that agrees with him. Wilson's a solid QB who benefits from a great defense, great running game, and good O-line. But top tier, as in Brady, Rodgers, Manning (in his prime)? I would agree that Wilson is not in that category. At least not yet.

The press really did a job on this one...if you read the entire quote, you see that he qualifies the top tier as a few absolute elites and names them (Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben) . With that being said, there's no way that Russell Wilson is in there but he did not say it to disparage him. Just our awesome press at work desperate for click bait.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

68.8 comp percentage. 8.6 yards per attempt. 26 tds, 7 ints. If that's not elite I don't know what is. Of course Pettine is used to watching his own QBs throw for 500 yards and 6 tds every week so maybe he's holding Wilson to that standard.

I think Pettine is right. Wilson was put into an great situation with the defense the Seahawks have. Without that stellar defense I don't think Wilson is good enough to get them to the playoffs let alone 2 SBs.

Put Joe Montana alone in the field on both sides of the ball with his hands tied behind his back and a sock in his mouth and there's no way he's a hall of famer.

Whatever, Wilson is terrific. I loved him coming out of college & could not believe the Bills did not grab him when they traded up in the third instead taking Graham. I nearly almost cried when that pick was announce because I knew Wilson had a real chance to be something special. It is almost like he doesn't get the credit because he does not fit that prototypical style QB. He is not 6-3, he is not 240 pounds but the guy knows how to play. In pregame warmups I seen Wilson do a drill that I never seen before. He stood at the 35 yard line & had a receiver stand at the one corner of the endzone with his back to Wilson & his hands stretched out to catch the ball. Wilson hit the guys hands for the catch without the receiver moving his hands on all five of his throws. That is how accurate this guy is.

Exactly. Wilson is great. Period. End of story. Like you said, if he's 6'4" 240 he's the best QB in the game. I'll take him over Newton seven days a week.

He's right

Do any of those guys end a super bowl like this?

One play is your argument? That's about as ridiculous as it gets.