Bills' RB Coach Anthony Lynn Expected to Get HC Interviews

26CornerBlitz

@RapSheet

Three new names expected to get head-coach interviews: #Panthers OC Mike Shula, #Bills RB coach Anthony Lynn, #Seahawks OL coach Tom Cable.

@RapSheet

Discussed hot head coaching candidates on @NFLGameDay, and some we know from last year: Adam Gase, Josh McDaniels, Doug Marrone.

Yup. The #Panthers DC and #Lions DC Teryl Austin still names to consider RT @ndutton13: @RapSheet Any buzz re Sean McDermott, Ian?

I wonder if the output that Karlos has been giving has anything to do with that. Don't really know much about Lynn.

I imagine it's more about being well organized, well spoken well networked, etc.... Than handing him a franchise because one rookie looked good. Karlos doesn't hurt but can't imagine it's high on the list.

I understand the need for something like the Rooney Rule but would he be getting looks if not for that rule? The jump from position coach to head coach is a big one. I would want to see what he could do as a coordinator before hiring him personally

I don't know why they're still beating the Marrone HC candidate drum. I'd be surprised if he got any interviews and downright shocked if he got a job. His stock was supposedly highest last offseason and he got nothing.

if I recall from who was fluffing him up last offseason, it's Marrone's agent via Rapaport. Schefter another shill for the agents so I'm sure he will chime in too.

I understand the need for something like the Rooney Rule but would he be getting looks if not for that rule? The jump from position coach to head coach is a big one. I would want to see what he could do as a coordinator before hiring him personally

Mike Tomlin got the Steelers' HC job because of the Rooney Rule.

Mike Tomlin got the Steelers' HC job because of the Rooney Rule.

No he didn't. He got his hire on merit. He already had a Super Bowl ring serving as the DB coach in Tampa consistently marshaling one of the best units in the NFL, then served as a Defensive Coordinator of the number 8 defense in the league. When he was interviewed by Pittsburg, they had already interviewed a minority candidate for the position.

No he didn't. He got his hire on merit. He already had a Super Bowl ring serving as the DB coach in Tampa consistently marshaling one of the best units in the NFL, then served as a Defensive Coordinator of the number 8 defense in the league. When he was interviewed by Pittsburg, they had already interviewed a minority candidate for the position.

He would have never gotten the interview were it not for the rule.

I don't know why they're still beating the Marrone HC candidate drum. I'd be surprised if he got any interviews and downright shocked if he got a job. His stock was supposedly highest last offseason and he got nothing.

Unfortunately the reality is that Rex is making Marrone look good by comparative success this year.

The Bills added a big name coach.....a well respected OC......a bunch of players in FA/trade.....had a good draft.....and their record hasn't improved thru 10 games.

From the super close perspective of avid fans we don't see Rex and co mistakes as a positive on Marrone's ledger but the reality is that other teams may see it this way.

Winning 5 or 6 to finish out the season might be the best way to keep Marrone out of a HC job.

That's his agent feeding reporters "inside info.'

Unfortunately the reality is that Rex is making Marrone look good by comparative success this year.

The Bills added a big name coach.....a well respected OC......a bunch of players in FA/trade.....had a good draft.....and their record hasn't improved thru 10 games.

Actually the 2014 Bills were alao 5-5 at week 11.

I don't care who they interviewed before Tomlin. He was on their list because of the Rooney rule as Rooney himself said.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Yeah, the Hawks OL is bad.

I would have agreed with you 3 weeks ago, but they may have turned the corner. Their current starting center, Patrick Lewis, has made a massive difference. Drew Nowak was not worthy of being a back-up C, never mind the starter.

Who said the hire? I said the interview was due to the Rooney Rule. He got the job because he impressed in the interview.

The interview was clearly not because of the Rooney Rule. The Rooney Rule was already satisfied long before Tomlin was ever offered an interview.

Tomlin got the interview on merit. Rooney has said as much himself.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

The interview was clearly not because of the Rooney Rule. The Rooney Rule was already satisfied long before Tomlin was ever offered an interview.

Tomlin got the interview on merit. Rooney has said as much himself.

"There were some people who said, 'I want to hire whoever I want to hire. You can't be telling us who to hire.' That is your decision," Rooney said. "But we say you must give an opportunity to an African-American or a minority.

"That sort of took hold. And when we went through that, it worked."

Last fall, there were a record seven black head coaches in the league. With the offseason firing of Art Shell by the Raiders and Dennis Green by the Cardinals, that number dropped to five. Now, there are six.

Rooney recently announced the hiring of Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, 34.

"Mike Tomlin wouldn't have gotten this opportunity without this rule," said Shell, the first modern black NFL head coach. "He never would have sat down with Dan Rooney."

Said Rooney: "To be honest with you, before the interview he was just another guy who was an assistant coach. Once we interviewed him the first time, he just came through and we thought it was great. And we brought him back and talked to him on the phone and went through the process that we do, and he ended up winning the job.

"[The rule] wasn't the most important thing because he was the most important thing. Mike got the job because he showed us his ability and showed us what he could do, and we believed in him."

Like I said. He would not have gotten the interview without the Rule being in place. He still had to impress in the interview process.

Like I said. He would not have gotten the interview without the Rule being in place. He still had to impress in the interview process.

That's an Art Shell quote, not a Rooney quote.

The pertinent information is sourced through this Wiki article, and is linked prior in this thread:

"Tomlin is the 10th African-American head coach in NFL history and the first for the Steelers franchise. The Steelers owner, Dan Rooney, has served as the head of the NFL's diversity committee and proposed the Rooney Rule, requiring that teams interview at least one minority candidate when hiring a new head coach. Although Tomlin's ascension to an NFL head coaching job has been cited as evidence of the rule working as intended,[6] Rooney himself disputes this, as he had already interviewed a minority candidate prior to interviewing Tomlin.[7]"

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

That's an Art Shell quote, not a Rooney quote.

The pertinent information is sourced through this Wiki article, and is linked prior in this thread:

"Tomlin is the 10th African-American head coach in NFL history and the first for the Steelers franchise. The Steelers owner, Dan Rooney, has served as the head of the NFL's diversity committee and proposed the Rooney Rule, requiring that teams interview at least one minority candidate when hiring a new head coach. Although Tomlin's ascension to an NFL head coaching job has been cited as evidence of the rule working as intended,[6] Rooney himself disputes this, as he had already interviewed a minority candidate prior to interviewing Tomlin.[7]"

Th article I linked Rooney says it wasn't the most important thing which of of course means it was a factor regardless of your denials.

And since neither of you are the man himself, I think you've hashed out the debate about as far as you can without access to his diary

It just doesn't make any sense to me on multiple levels: Rooney, the man who proposed the rule to compel others to interview minorities, likely wouldn't need to be compelled to interview minorities by such a rule himself. Further, the timeline disputes those claims as well. The Rooney Rule wasn't even applicable at the time as it had already been satisfied.

From the super close perspective of avid fans we don't see Rex and co mistakes as a positive on Marrone's ledger but the reality is that other teams may see it this way.

Winning 5 or 6 to finish out the season might be the best way to keep Marrone out of a HC job.

Theres also the fact that outside of Buffalo, where the fans couldn't wait to run Marrone out of town and trash him even after he had success with the team, no one really cares that he walked away fromt he HC job and I doubt there are many who know anything more then "he re-signed as HC of the Bills".

Around the league he is still viewed as a guy who could be a decent HC and will be given a second chance even though he accepted an out cause available to him in his contract because of a change in ownership