Skins to sign K. Cousins 17mill yr. how much is TT worth

17 Josh Allen

I will go back and watch some more Kirk Cousins given the opinions of some on this board which I have to say surprise me in terms of how good they think he is. I have watched 3 Skins games in full this year - the Dolphins game on opening day, the TNF against the Giants and the Jets game and I came away distinctly unimpressed with him in each... but I will try and find time this evening to watch Sunday's game in full - are there any others that the pro-Cousins crowd would particularly recommend?

I live in the Md/DC area so I have seen him play. The issue isn't being pro or anti Cousins. The issue is what type of qb can he be? What is his upside and what is his downside. From what I have observed although he has a tendency to go into a funk after turnovers he does have the ability to be a solid to good starting qb in this league.

Kirk always had the pressure to perform because of the presence of RGIII, the owner's designated franchise qb. So when Kirk made a mistake it was magnified because it hurt his chances in becoming the starter. When Gruden made it clear that Cousins was going to be the starter for the year and that RGIII was no longer a threat to him then you could see him relax a little more and get steadily better.

In my opinion Kirk can be a good starter in this league who is a little better than being a game manager.As the team surrounding him improves he will correspondingly get better. In the not too distant future he will earn a very good contract that will make it clear that he is the franchise qb for the Skins.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He definetly has a rag arm. Sports science said he throws the highest ratio of interceptable passes since Ryan Leaf.

A good few games and everyone forgets the dumpster fires that happened before.

He definitely looks like he has a rag arm.

JohnC - pro-Cousins just meant those who were saying he is good. As I said I have watched 3 full Redskins games this year. He has been pretty poor in all 3. I have also said I will go and watch some more because he isn't a guy through his career who I have seen a whole lot of and I might be being unfair.

Each of us can only go on what we see. I wanted to know which games to watch to see him play well so that I could get a fairer assessment.

At this point I am skeptic but I might change my mind watching those games.

I live in the Md/DC area so I have seen him play. The issue isn't being pro or anti Cousins. The issue is what type of qb can he be? What is his upside and what is his downside. From what I have observed although he has a tendency to go into a funk after turnovers he does have the ability to be a solid to good starting qb in this league.

Kirk always had the pressure to perform because of the presence of RGIII, the owner's designated franchise qb. So when Kirk made a mistake it was magnified because it hurt his chances in becoming the starter. When Gruden made it clear that Cousins was going to be the starter for the year and that RGIII was no longer a threat to him then you could see him relax a little more and get steadily better.

In my opinion Kirk can be a good starter in this league who is a little better than being a game manager.As the team surrounding him improves he will correspondingly get better. In the not too distant future he will earn a very good contract that will make it clear that he is the franchise qb for the Skins.

Or he just played a game where he faced a defense that is one of the worst in history.

If the Skins pay Cousins $17MM, they are the dumbest team in history.

Or he just played a game where he faced a defense that is one of the worst in history.

If the Skins pay Cousins $17MM, they are the dumbest team in history.

I'm very confident that they will sign him for a little more than $17 M per year. When the front office makes a determination on him it will not be overly influenced by one game as it will be whether he is progressing or not as a qb. From what I have read they are leaning toward getting him in the fold

Spotrac predicting 3 years 34 mill for Cousins with just over 13k gtd.

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/contract-forecast-kirk-cousins-558/

The market is rising. There are teams desperate to get adequate qbing. There won't be a big market demand for him but if a couple of teams indicate an interest his contract position is strengthened.

Your projected contract guess is as good as anyone else's but I believe that he is going to get $17-18 M per year contract. Gruden like Cousins and is an advocate for him. He believe he has a qb he can work with and is willing to invest in.

I'm very confident that they will sign him for a little more than $17 M per year. When the front office makes a determination on him it will not be overly influenced by one game as it will be whether he is progressing or not as a qb. From what I have read they are leaning toward getting him in the fold

The market is rising. There are teams desperate to get adequate qbing. There won't be a big market demand for him but if a couple of teams indicate an interest his contract position is strengthened.

Your projected contract guess is as good as anyone else's but I believe that he is going to get $17-18 M per year contract. Gruden like Cousins and is an advocate for him. He believe he has a qb he can work with and is willing to invest in.

it isn't my guess - that's Spotrac. I don't know anything about him. I haven't watched Cousins play since he was at Michigan St. Edited by YoloinOhio

Spotrac predicting 3 years 34 mill for Cousins with just over 13k gtd.http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/contract-forecast-kirk-cousins-558/

You know what's worse than paying Cousins that contract? Losing him. It'd be pretty fair in that the team could cut ties quickly and easily if they had to, but Cousins would still get paid for what he's accomplished. If he blossoms then he wouldn't have to wait long to get a new deal at an increased rate. If not, then there's no long term commitment and no lasting cap damage to the team.

I felt as soon as Gruden got there he would like Cousins... he is not dissimilar to Dalton who he strongly pushed for when at Cincy.

Gruden got fed up with RGIII who simply can't read defenses and work out of the pocket. Cousins was a qb he could work with. The Dalton and Cousins comparison is a good comparison.

Is this not the definition of a reactionary league or what?!?!

He throws 4 touchdowns against against one of the worst pass defensive teams in the league and they want to throw all this money at him? Reminds me a bit of the Fitzpatrick overreaction signing.

He's a project quarterback at this point. I think he'll get better, but you're spending 17 million on the hope that he develops.. you're not getting an already developed 17mil quarterback IMO.

It's interesting how NFL owners act like crazed girlfriends clinging to any hopes of that long term relationship at all costs to find the right quarterback!

TT scares me a bit regarding a long term deal. I think he's an excellent quarterback and fit for the team with dynamic skill set. But I have worries about him staying healthy. In the NFL it has been proven that you cannot win with your back-up quarterback. (fine the steelers went 500) but playoffs are not realistic with extended loss of your starting qb. If TT starts the remainder of the games this year, I think he gets paid by the Bills. If he keeps getting dinged up, misses games here or there, I don't think you can entrust the team to that type of starter and the Bills would have to do the responsible thing and look for an alternative solution/qb.

Is this not the definition of a reactionary league or what?!?!

He throws 4 touchdowns against against one of the worst pass defensive teams in the league and they want to throw all this money at him? Reminds me a bit of the Fitzpatrick overreaction signing.

He's a project quarterback at this point. I think he'll get better, but you're spending 17 million on the hope that he develops.. you're not getting an already developed 17mil quarterback IMO.

It's interesting how NFL owners act like crazed girlfriends clinging to any hopes of that long term relationship at all costs to find the right quarterback!

TT scares me a bit regarding a long term deal. I think he's an excellent quarterback and fit for the team with dynamic skill set. But I have worries about him staying healthy. In the NFL it has been proven that you cannot win with your back-up quarterback. (fine the steelers went 500) but playoffs are not realistic with extended loss of your starting qb. If TT starts the remainder of the games this year, I think he gets paid by the Bills. If he keeps getting dinged up, misses games here or there, I don't think you can entrust the team to that type of starter and the Bills would have to do the responsible thing and look for an alternative solution/qb.

The Redskins haven't even started negotiations with his agent. This is just people discussing what they think may happen.

Funny how time changes perspectives, isn't it? A lot of people thought the Bengals were crazy at the time.

Trent Green was a good QB.

People keep looking for the next Brady/Manning/Rodgers but there just aren't very many of those guys. Most teams would be improved by having a Trent Green.

Well stated. Exactly what I was trying to say.

The 'Skins are a joke of a franchise. One mistake after another. Cousins is very average. Gruden won't even be the coach there after next year and then the next coaching staff is stuck with this QB.

I would have expected TT to get $15 mil or so per year but with guys like Cousins and Tannehill getting big deals it might drive up the price

I live in the Md/DC area and have followed the Skins' qb saga. Gruden with conviction didn't believe that RGIII had the capacity to play the position and had enough durability to endure the inevitable physical punishment. As much criticism that Shanahan took for his cold blooded assessment of RGIII the bottom line is that he was right. Gruden saw the same things that Shanahan and his son, the OC, with both staffs coming to the same conclusions regarding this diva qb.

In my opinion Cousins is going to get between $18-20 M per yr. Is he worth that amount? You pay the market rate or you don't. It's understood that there are many other teams desperate for a capable starting qb and willing to invest in your qb.

The Skins have a new GM whose philosophy is to build the roster so that the qb who is taking the snaps will be in a better position to succeed. If you wait for your ideal qb you will be futilely waiting for odds that are not in your favor.

Great post John and right on. You either sign these guys before you are 100% sure that they are the guy (maybe 80%) and pay them $17M a year or you wait until you are 100% and pay them $22M with a bunch of guarantees. That is what the Bills will be facing with Tyrod soon. It is a tricky situation.