Former players convinced me that Rex's D will start clicking

I was listening to Jason Taylor on Sirius NFL Radio today and a Bills fan called in and asked about Rex and his D.

Taylor said that of all the coaches he ever had, it took him the longest period of time, most work, and most study to figure out what he was supposed to do in Rex's D. It was an enormous adjustment and it is extremely complicated. Eventually he got it but it took some time.

This meshes with things other guys have said about Rex's defense: it's complicated, relies on a ton of new terms and communication, as well as a bunch of unique concepts. At first it's very difficult to grasp. But eventually once the players get it things start clicking.

I think this is what we are seeing with this D. Rex did not forget how to coach defense. The DL did not forget how to pass rush. It's just going to take some time for this thing to start humming.

BTW, that vaunted Schwartz defense got shredded by Brady and couldn't stop the Raiders when it mattered too. Let's not pretend that last year's defense was some sort of iron curtain.

I still believe in Rex and I EXPECT to see the defense improve tremendously over the 2nd half of the season.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes sense....

Rex didn't suddenly forget how to coach defense.

Also, I distinctly remember a MNF "showdown" with the Jets vs the Patriots* a few years back

The Patriots* creamed them and won like 45-10 or something like that. Rex was a joke then too.

A few weeks later the teams met in the playoffs and the Jets won in Foxborough, pretty much shutting down the Pats*

maybe Rex should have added to his remark about making the playoffs, with "if the defense can execute my new system before we find ourselves eliminated"

edit - look.. Ryan's never been a 'complete' football coach.. the delegation of offensive responsibilities to his staff leaves him with little to put his stamp on. so there's no way he wasn't going to change our D this season.. but like a lot of people, i'm surprised it's been such a steep learning curve. something tells me that if he emerged from a hot tub time machine and found himself replacing Ditka in '86 - he would have his father tweek that D to his liking.

Edited by BackInDaDay

That's fine. But it is widely believed that Rex is a brilliant defensive coach and that the Bills have tremendous talent on defense. So, why can't Rex simplify the scheme to take advantage of our great players on a weekly basis and build upon that simplified scheme over time?

Puking everything at the players and blaming them for not grasping the concepts seems ill advised and misguided.

I was listening to Jason Taylor on Sirius NFL Radio today and a Bills fan called in and asked about Rex and his D.

Taylor said that of all the coaches he ever had, it took him the longest period of time, most work, and most study to figure out what he was supposed to do in Rex's D. It was an enormous adjustment and it is extremely complicated. Eventually he got it but it took some time.

This meshes with things other guys have said about Rex's defense: it's complicated, relies on a ton of new terms and communication, as well as a bunch of unique concepts. At first it's very difficult to grasp. But eventually once the players get it things start clicking.

I think this is what we are seeing with this D. Rex did not forget how to coach defense. The DL did not forget how to pass rush. It's just going to take some time for this thing to start humming.

BTW, that vaunted Schwartz defense got shredded by Brady and couldn't stop the Raiders when it mattered too. Let's not pretend that last year's defense was some sort of iron curtain.

I still believe in Rex and I EXPECT to see the defense improve tremendously over the 2nd half of the season.

No, everything should work from day 1 damn it...new HC, OC, and DC (which is really the HC), new QB, New RB, new systems, etc...no reason this shouldn't be plug and play....

I'm usually pessimistic about the Bills. As a season ticket holder from Virginia that has to drive home 9 hours after 15 years of losing, you think pretty clearly about how ****ty the Bills really are, especially in the last 10-14 years under Ralph Wilson.

That being said, I'm still good with where we are now. I still think we found a QB that can play. Rex did not just forget how to coach defense. And when healthy, we have a darn good offensive roster around Tyrod. I think if we are truly getting healthy, that we can still turn it around, and that we have a good team. Whether or not we've dug ourselves a hole too big, I don't know. But I think we are legit if we can get most of our guys back and healthy.

I'm usually pessimistic about the Bills. As a season ticket holder from Virginia that has to drive home 9 hours after 15 years of losing, you think pretty clearly about how ****ty the Bills really are, especially in the last 10-14 years under Ralph Wilson.

That being said, I'm still good with where we are now. I still think we found a QB that can play. Rex did not just forget how to coach defense. And when healthy, we have a darn good offensive roster around Tyrod. I think if we are truly getting healthy, that we can still turn it around, and that we have a good team. Whether or not we've dug ourselves a hole too big, I don't know. But I think we are legit if we can get most of our guys back and healthy.

give me a PM when you need someone to ride up with you and split some driving! No plans for the Texans game yet, but i have two tickets that have not sold as of yet.sooooo

No, everything should work from day 1 damn it...new HC, OC, and DC (which is really the HC), new QB, New RB, new systems, etc...no reason this shouldn't be plug and play....

I guess count me in as one of the ones that thought it would click on defense right away. I thought it was a match made in heaven and that making our defense at least as good as last year wouldn't be a challenge.

I had posted Taylor's comments in a couple threads, but glad they got their own thread...

Let's just hope that he's right - it's not a giant shocker, I remember in the old NFL when it used to take time for new coaches systems to work and players to learn the game. I too was hoping for plug and play, but sometimes things aren't that easy.

Regarding "just make it more simple", maybe there is no way to make it truly simple? In fact maybe Rex already has dumbed it down a couple notches, but it's STILL tough to get?

Who knows, but obviously Rex didn't just forget how to coach and the players didn't forget how to play - each group just needs to get those things working together! ASAP!! :beer: