Sammy Watkins...

Codyny13

I cannot speak for BADOL, but I graded over 150 players from last year's draft. I watched as many live games as possible, then I re-watched every snap I could find on every single one of them (draftbreakdown.com is a great resource), wrote up profiles, reviewed them, and gave them a grade. Then I monitored the offseason workouts as a spot-check to see if anything looked red-flaggish (weight, uncommonly low strength, timed speed, etc.), which doesn't change much most of the time.

I don't give a number grade the way scouts do (which is typically on a scale of 1.0 to 9.0--though some teams use 1.0 to 8.0); I usually just assign a round-based grade and what position(s) and scheme(s) I think is the best fit.

Here's an example that I posted from last year's guard class:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174895-bandits-2015-draft-report-ogs/

I would imagine that most folks on here that grade players do it somewhat similarly. There are actually some surprisingly sharp football minds on this board.

I don't go to that length but that being such a talented stacked draft and knowing the Bills had a chance at a really elite player I wanted a better idea of where I felt the players fit.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Limited but participating

I know we have had a lot of injuries this year.....but kudos to this coaching staff for being careful with players we need in the long run.

Long run? BILLS lose this game and its a wrap....IMO

You have said this before and quite frankly, I never really understood why. Is it partially because we are Bills Fans, and since 1990 we have burned no less than 13 first round picks on rbs and dbs? This, without having a first round pick in 2 of those years.

A team does get WAY more bang for their buck in later rounds, even with the new CBA. That said, the truly talented players at LT, QB and pass rushing DE tend to go in round 1. Again, historically this matters little to the Bills. We tend to not draft these guys. :(

A prime example of why I feel the way I do about first round picks is seen each spring when the Bills focus on patching a hole at one of the 21 far less important positions when they do not have an elite quarterback.

The fact that a great player at one position and only one position can lead to 10-15 years of contention underscores the fact that you don't need a roster full of first round picks.

If you have an elite QB and otherwise do a decent job of drafting in rounds 2-7 and in free agency you can be good for a long time.

I get it guys-few good games on his resume. Sammy's made some plays. I hope he turns out to be the superstar he and all of Bills Nation wants him to be. I think he may have learned a bad habit from Rexy though. Talking the talk doesn't mean he is gonna be able to walk the walk. Sammy needs to start walking!

agreed. Sammy is way too injury-prone. Can find good value in Rd. 2. Take a big/fast guy.

I'm really not one to call names, but whenever I hear or see "Sammy Watkins" my brain now translates that to "Fragile Sammy Watkins". He'd be a great asset to the team if he could stay healthy (obviously), but the number of injuries he's had and the manner in which they've occurred is not promising. If I'm the Bills I'm still looking to address the WR position in the offseason as Harvin won't be here and Watkins can't be counted on to be on the field. I like Woods and all, but if he's my #1 then I know I have problems.

Just a little sweepy

@viccarucci: Sammy Watkins says he's planning to play Sunday. Said he was bothered by "fatigue" in Thursday's practice. #Bills

a full week to get over jet lag and he's fatigued?

What the hell is he going to be feeling in 6 days in prime time. I hope he gets his beauty naps in

Just a little sweepy

@viccarucci: Sammy Watkins says he's planning to play Sunday. Said he was bothered by "fatigue" in Thursday's practice. #Bills

Ok not trying to nit pick or anything but the dude hasnt played in 2-3 weeks so how is he fatigued?

Trying to get back into conditioning shape?

CBF

a full week to get over jet lag and he's fatigued?

What the hell is he going to be feeling in 6 days in prime time. I hope he gets his beauty naps in

I dont even think he travelled with the team to London

@ChrisBrownBills

Sammy Watkins said he will "definitely" play Sunday. However he said he'll have to see how ankle holds up as the game goes. #Bills

Translation: 3 series and then done for the day

CBF