Failed Expectations, Rex Ryan is not a leader of men

Echoing some thoughts on this thread:

*Rex's ego is a big problem with lack of leadership and gets in the way of a lot of things. As noted, he wants to get cute and make weekly captains, but the lack of permanent captains fuels lack of accountability to each other. Why not let players elect captains for O/D/ST and then add 1 special weekly captain? Former Giant DE Osi Umenyiora had an interesting comment about the D and DL: he didn't see them all flying to the ball to gang tackle like last year. That comes from lack of accountability to each other.

*Examples of Rex ego: he processes everything in the filter of Rex. Titans game was Rex v. Wisenhut. When Dareus signed his $ extension and Rex was asked for comment, his first reaction was "I wish I was a better player. Holy cow that's a lot of money." This from one of the best paid coaches in the league. As Madden said when asked about Rex: "Well, I saw him eat a dog biscuit. But at some point you have to coach to win in this league...."

*Our inability to make halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball is troubling. (Bellicheat commented how long we stayed with a plan that wasn't working.) We are DEAD LAST in 3rd quarter points allowed. Jets are FIRST with FG to Pats today the only points all year. (We are 27th in 3d Q scoring offense.) https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opp-3rd-quarter-points-per-game Last year under Schwartz, defensive adjustments was a strong suit (as was gang tackling).

*I am willing to give this staff a full year to make final conclusions, but right now it sure looks like Rex is Wad Phillips v2, but with a tummy tuck and a man purse.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Echoing some thoughts on this thread:

*Rex's ego is a big problem with lack of leadership and gets in the way of a lot of things. As noted, he wants to get cute and make weekly captains, but the lack of permanent captains fuels lack of accountability to each other. Why not let players elect captains for O/D/ST and then add 1 special weekly captain? Former Giant DE Osi Umenyiora had an interesting comment about the D and DL: he didn't see them all flying to the ball to gang tackle like last year. That comes from lack of accountability to each other.

*Examples of Rex ego: he processes everything in the filter of Rex. Titans game was Rex v. Wisenhut. When Dareus signed his $ extension and Rex was asked for comment, his first reaction was "I wish I was a better player. Holy cow that's a lot of money." This from one of the best paid coaches in the league. As Madden said when asked about Rex: "Well, I saw him eat a dog biscuit. But at some point you have to coach to win in this league...."

*Our inability to make halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball is troubling. (Bellicheat commented how long we stayed with a plan that wasn't working.) We are DEAD LAST in 3rd quarter points allowed. Jets are FIRST with FG to Pats today the only points all year. (We are 27th in 3d Q scoring offense.) https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opp-3rd-quarter-points-per-game Last year under Schwartz, defensive adjustments was a strong suit (as was gang tackling).

*I am willing to give this staff a full year to make final conclusions, but right now it sure looks like Rex is Wad Phillips v2, but with a tummy tuck and a man purse.

Wade Phillips was the last good coach the Bills had and got us into the playoffs. I'll take it.

Holy cow....what??

happened with jets and they really went down the tubes as he gained more power over idzik

Rex and others can talk about injuries but on defense we really only missed AW until KW got hurt and defense not dominate at all as compared to past two seasons where we had more injuries on defense. Considering like 75 o/o of team's salary is on defense, this is really a concern.

Edited by BuffaloBillsMagic1

On the positive side:

Watching from the stadium, this is a completely different game if EJ plays well. Bills did a pretty good job of shutting down the #7 QB in the league by yardage (Bortles). Sounds like a lot of you guys don't realize that even though they're 1-5, the Jags offense is pretty good. He had his worst completion % of the season this week and threw for the least amount of yards.

Rex let the DEs line up wide and rushed the passer, exactly what we wanted, and they looked pretty good doing it.

I think we win this game easy if Tyrod plays.

On the negative side:

Yeldon killing us in the ground game was disappointing. That's the right strategy vs Jacksonville's offense but it was still not great for this defense.

EJ missed seeing Charles Clay twice for wide open TDs. In fact, EJ missed a ton of open receivers in the first half. If he hits one or two of those instead of turning the ball over for scores we win this game.

Overall - IMO the biggest problem here was the QB injury. We've got to get another QB who can compete next year and get rid of EJ. I can't say I fault Whaley because he tried with McCown and then there was no one left on the market (Cassel blows), but it's killing us. I thought the defense was better today and will continue to improve coming out of the bye week. The question is whether we can get healthy enough on offense with a QB that can take advantage of the matchups. I love Tyrod, but without him we're toast.

I don't put this game on Rex or Whaley. I don't have another realistic option at QB that would have won us this game. Cassel is awful and so is EJ.

One can only imagine the meeting between Rex & Jim Schwartz:

Rex "Jim, I want to drop our linemen back into coverage"

Jim "Hahahaha, that is so stupid it is hilarious, you gotta be kidding".

Rex, "You're fired".

You missed "I am a defensive genius" and "I know where this will end up"

The apologists never seize to amaze me. Not Rex's fault the D played well, the refs didn't hurt us with their call of PI because our pick 6 was PI, EJ didn't cause the loss Roman's play calls did.........blah, blah, balah. No wonder we are such losers. Oh and Whaley apologists.....his transactions haven't worked out enough is a fact.

Ya know, I didn't want to say anything, but I certainly thought a case could have been made for PI on Graham's pick-6. I'd have to see it again.

I dont agree, and I didn't hear "many" former players other than dopey Jace Amaro say Rex lost the locker room or wasnt always accountable.

He gets his team to play hard, and we need a coach with a personality like him more today than any other time, going to the bye week and on a losing streak.

Im more concerned with the x's and o's right now. Defense is having periodic meltdowns, and Roman seems to be scripting nice opening drives but calling games that put too much pressure on the wrong players and not enough on the right ones (like Shady and Clay yesterday).

Miami game is 13 days away, we need to kick some ass and get back on track. This will be a good coaching test.

I dont agree, and I didn't hear "many" former players other than dopey Jace Amaro say Rex lost the locker room or wasnt always accountable.

He gets his team to play hard, and we need a coach with a personality like him more today than any other time, going to the bye week and on a losing streak.

Im more concerned with the x's and o's right now. Defense is having periodic meltdowns, and Roman seems to be scripting nice opening drives but calling games that put too much pressure on the wrong players and not enough on the right ones (like Shady and Clay yesterday).

Miami game is 13 days away, we need to kick some ass and get back on track. This will be a good coaching test.

Our safeties suck. They're a complete liability. And oh, by the way, they're expected to dictate Ryan's scheme.

We shut down the Jag-offs offffense for most of the game, then give up an 80-yard scoring drive with 3 minutes left The rap on Ryan is that his teams have always been undisciplined, as evidenced by the Bills on pace to set a new NFL are record in penalties.

Stupid costly penalties at the most inopportune times, sloppy tackling, and a defense that has regressed from one of the league's best to one that can't get off the field or shut down a drive at the most critical times - that's all Ryan has delivered so far.

People thought Rex could walk on water. Make him prove it - make him swim home from London.

It sure is hard to defend Rex right now. He took a team with more talent than most and neutered it, then looks flabbergasted at the result.

Well put. He's a bad used car salesmen now and I hate to say it, should probably be part of a housecleaning....

Our safeties suck. They're a complete liability. And oh, by the way, they're expected to dictate Ryan's scheme.

I hate to say this, but watching the Jets the Bills could really use a Calvin Pryor. He is a big body safety and was matching up with Gronk.

If things don't fall right for us in the draft and there is no Tackle or QB a star safety could help the Rex Ryan defense.

Don't be surprised if Rex ends up with more control of the franchise at the end of the year....I don't like it but I can pretty easily envision a scenario where that happens.

^^^Agree with you. EJ's 1st half melt down yesterday isn't going to bode well for Whaley and company. I read here that there were already reports of Rex and Whaley not being on the same page. Obviously a huge disagreement between them on the backup QB. Rex lost that fight and this is an issue that isn't going to go away anytime soon IMO. I'm not saying I agree with Ryan getting more power but wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Then maybe Rex should tailor the defense to fit the players strengths.

I hear you. I do. But in this case it's also tailoring a defense to hide a glaring weakness.

I hate to say this, but watching the Jets the Bills could really use a Calvin Pryor. He is a big body safety and was matching up with Gronk.

If things don't fall right for us in the draft and there is no Tackle or QB a star safety could help the Rex Ryan defense.

I fully expect safety to play a big part of the offseason plans.

And since we're locking up our own young talent, and since the GM has actually SAID that after the Clay and McCoy acquisitions that Bills fans should temper their FA expectations for next year: at this point in time, I'm about 80% sure our first draft pick in 2015 is a safety.

I hear you. I do. But in this case it's also tailoring a defense to hide a glaring weakness.

I fully expect safety to play a big part of the offseason plans.

And since we're locking up our own young talent, and since the GM has actually SAID that after the Clay and McCoy acquisitions that Bills fans should temper their FA expectations for next year: at this point in time, I'm about 80% sure our first draft pick in 2015 is a safety.

I could see us moving on from Cordy Glenn. It comes down to TT. If he craps the bed we are going to try to draft a QB.

I could see us moving on from Cordy Glenn. It comes down to TT. If he craps the bed we are going to try to draft a QB.

Glenn is having one bad season.

In order, here's who's not holding up their ends of the bargain this year, as far as falling shy of expectations go:

Glenn

Brown

Bradham

Graham

D. Williams

Henderson

John Miller

Eric Wood

That's both linebackers, both safeties, and everyone on the offensive line not named Richie.

I don't believe many resources will be tied up into the QB position this year.

I had a bad feeling as soon as he brought over half his NYJ staff. Rex comes in with a completely clean slate. He can hire ANYONE on the globe to fill each of the vacant assistant coaching positions. He has a rare opportunity to show some due diligence and interview all of the best candidates for each open position and build a staff that truly represents the best-of-the-best that is available, yet remarkably, he drags over at least half of his NYJ staff and tells us these guys are the best of the best available. BS.

And then there's the pride factor. He has to push Schwartz out the door when he could have retained him and allowed him to run his own defense - the one that was so successful last season, instead of Rex forcing his own defensive scheme and coaches. Rex could have just focused on being a HC and allowed BOTH of his coordinators to run the show on their respective sides of the ball instead of only allowing his OC to run the show while letting his ego take over and insist his defense could somehow improve on last season. What a buffoon this guy is turning out to be. And we are stuck with him for 5 seasons.

Edited by ChasBB

So did Dick Jauron, and so did Doug Marrone, and I wouldn't want either back in Buffalo. Jauron's teams were always injured with over half the team suffering from an injury at one point or another. His players loved him, and played their hearts out for him, kinda like this year. The problem was his defensive scheme was outdated, and he never did find the players to fit his lousy defense. On offense he kept promoting QB coaches who didn't know what they were doing. Kinda like Marrone did.

I don't know how you could have watched the Buffalo Bills dominate the 2014 NY Jets, and Ryan shooting his mouth off about how his team will play 1000% better the next time they face the Bills only to lose 38-3. Then not think, man this guy has lost his team. Ryan looked lost last year against Buffalo, and his defense stunk. 42 to 23 was the score of the first game against Buffalo.

Rex Ryan needs to fix his defense, and rotate his D linemen more so they are fresh in the 4th quarter. He also needs to figure out how to get his scheme to work to get to the QB more often, and especially in crunch time with the game on the line. We can cry about the lame defensive call or fix the problem with the defense allowing Blake Bortles to throw a TD with 2 min left in the game.

So now the Bills need to draft more defensive players to help Ryan's scheme, and how many years is that going to take? Great coaches take what they have, and make things work. His defense needs to stop with the stupid penalties.

Ryan needs to fix his special teams coverage units so the team isn't always at a field position disadvantage, and stop with the stupid penalties.

Ryan needs to fix his offense, and actually run the ball more like he said the team would. Running the read option more like the Panthers do with Cam Newton. Doing this would certainly help keep the backup QB from throwing so often! EJ showed early in the last game that he can successfully run the read option, and then they didn't run it again from what I saw.

Kinda funny how this years EJ looks just like the EJ we saw against the Texans with the constant shotgun formations, and constant passing even before giving the Jags 21 points. Where was the run game, where was the play action? An example would be that on the third Bills series McCoy gets five yards on first down, and on second down the Bills have EJ take a 7 step drop to pass only to get sacked for -9 yards because nobody is open, and both sides of his line caved in. The next play is 3rd and 14... then the offense needs to stop with the stupid penalties.

Penalties again, 10 for 97 yards. Its better then the 17 against the NY Giants but that's still more then both the NY Jets & NE Patriots had combined this weekend as each only had 4 each!!

Ryan needs to shut his mouth, and let his players work on the field do his talking for him!! I'd say he has nine more games to prove he deserves to be an NFL head coach.

Edited by Nihilarian

Dude. Woods was WIDE open. EJ's effort on that play was just deplorable. A quick, decisive throw and the game is still alive.

Yet that is the issue. Expecting a quick decisive throw from EJ Manuel. If I'm calling plays I'm going to McCoy on 3rd and 4th down.

My options on this thread -

Rex is a GREAT leader of men. He inspires them, his players love him. They would run through walls, and do anything he asks of them. That is leadership. He can corral the troops and get them to do his bidding. Just because they are not the right things, he doesn't hold them accountable for their mistakes, or puts the wrong gameplan together, doesn't mean he is a bad leader of men.

I thought the job by Roman was incredible yesterday. Obviously the turnovers by Manuel were terrible. He changed the offensive plan around to get EJ some confidence, and it worked. EJ looked like a serviceable backup QB. He had his limits though, and when the game was on the line, I thought Roman went a bit too far. The play that was called was awful. He shouldn't have put EJ in that position. Should have given the ball to the best offensive player (McCoy) and let him do his thing. Why would anyone, with the game on the line, leave it up to the backup QB.

I'm tired of this defense. I believe Ryan/Thurman are not using the personnel they have to produce the best product. We saw a good product last year. We know what "good" looks like. This defense is ok, but they aren't putting their playmakers in position to do their best. That is coaching. It is the coach's responsibility to do the best with what you have. The scheme doesn't fit the personnel. CHANGE THE SCHEME.

Do I think Ryan is a good leader? Yes. A great motivator of men.

Do I think Ryan is a good Coach? No. Not at all. A good coach is a leader/motivator AND someone who puts the right people in the right place to make the right plays. Who holds his team accountable for their faults, AS HIS OWN. Who uses utilizes the strengths of his personnel.

As Bills fans we have been complaining of this for years. Make the schemes fit the personnel. This year is no different. Ryan's ego is too huge to be a good head coach. He makes it about himself, not the team.

My options on this thread -

Rex is a GREAT leader of men. He inspires them, his players love him. They would run through walls, and do anything he asks of them. That is leadership. He can corral the troops and get them to do his bidding. Just because they are not the right things, he doesn't hold them accountable for their mistakes, or puts the wrong gameplan together, doesn't mean he is a bad leader of men.

I thought the job by Roman was incredible yesterday. Obviously the turnovers by Manuel were terrible. He changed the offensive plan around to get EJ some confidence, and it worked. EJ looked like a serviceable backup QB. He had his limits though, and when the game was on the line, I thought Roman went a bit too far. The play that was called was awful. He shouldn't have put EJ in that position. Should have given the ball to the best offensive player (McCoy) and let him do his thing. Why would anyone, with the game on the line, leave it up to the backup QB.

I'm tired of this defense. I believe Ryan/Thurman are not using the personnel they have to produce the best product. We saw a good product last year. We know what "good" looks like. This defense is ok, but they aren't putting their playmakers in position to do their best. That is coaching. It is the coach's responsibility to do the best with what you have. The scheme doesn't fit the personnel. CHANGE THE SCHEME.

Do I think Ryan is a good leader? Yes. A great motivator of men.

Do I think Ryan is a good Coach? No. Not at all. A good coach is a leader/motivator AND someone who puts the right people in the right place to make the right plays. Who holds his team accountable for their faults, AS HIS OWN. Who uses utilizes the strengths of his personnel.

As Bills fans we have been complaining of this for years. Make the schemes fit the personnel. This year is no different. Ryan's ego is too huge to be a good head coach. He makes it about himself, not the team.

Yea man, I wouldn't want to follow this man into a real battle. Another Herbert M Sobel in Band of Brothers, who couldn't find his arse with a map.

I'm tabling judgement until after the bye, many of our players come back, and how well we perform after two weeks to prepare.

I hate the undisciplined play and the penalties. ot one like the Robey call as that was BS, but the taunting, false starts, holding, and personal fouls. If I see a dramtic improvement in these areas, the defense revamped and not so confusing, and we put together strong drives, then I'm ok.

If we keep seeing more of the same, I'm on the wagon with removing him. It will never happen though. He has a 5 year contract. There is no way we fire him until after three years.

what concerns me is I love TT, but his runs can place him at risk to get hurt again and then we get our favorite QB back in the game. uggh. I never want to see Manuel on the field again.

If injured Bills return and still lose to Miami, oh oh .

New system and injuries are a fatal combination.

I believed in EJ until the 2nd quarter of Jags game. He might develop into a back up some day

We all bought into hype. unfortunately Rex is not a top tier coach. a lot of hype and bluster. When it is time for the team to perform, Rex fails the team.

@bcredmosquito asks: Any chance Rex is fired after the season if things really fall apart (6-10 record or worse) or does he still get another year?

They’re paying Rex around $5.5 million a year over five. The Pegulas have piles of money, but they’re not going to eat that sort of cash. Besides, Terry isn’t one to make hasty decisions about his employees. He proved that when he stuck with Darcy Regier as the Sabres’ general manager well beyond his expiration date.

Ryan brought credibility to the organization at a desperate time. He helped sell the most season tickets in franchise history. He’s the face of the franchise and a guy with a solid track record as a defensive coach. There’s still hope for this season and if they flame out, he can use injuries and bad quarterback play as an excuse.

That doesn’t mean Rex is on a permanent honeymoon. He needs to win soon or he’ll wear out his welcome with the Pegulas. But if anyone gets tossed into the volcano if they don’t make the playoffs this season, it’ll be Whaley.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/29/mailbag-despite-disarray-ryan-isnt-going-anywhere/

Rex is a good coach. It's his first year and he had to bring in his own QB to get this team anywhere near to competitive. What would have been the alternative? Jim Schwartz that couldn't win as a head coach despite having a good franchise QB? I don't understand how people can turn on a new coach to this franchise that hasn't even coached half a season with the team.

Rex is a good coach. It's his first year and he had to bring in his own QB to get this team anywhere near to competitive. What would have been the alternative? Jim Schwartz that couldn't win as a head coach despite having a good franchise QB? I don't understand how people can turn on a new coach to this franchise that hasn't even coached half a season with the team.

I think the main thing is he turned our awesome defense into a poor one, and all the Bravado is annoying when your losing, and if he thinks Tyrod is Randell Cunningham he need to quit living in the past trying to be his father.

The problem with the argument "Rex ruined our defense" is that there is absolutely no way to measure whether or not poor execution rather than gameplan is at fault. This defensive line is supposed to be elite to the point where they can get to the QB without all blitzing. They did it last year, quite often, despite what people think. Now when Rex decides to experiment and drop these guys into coverage a few times, then he is automatically at fault for supposedly messing up the entire rest of the defensive gameplan without any scrutinization of the players whatsoever. I'm not exactly sold that there wouldn't have been regression if Schwartz was still here.

We all bought into hype. unfortunately Rex is not a top tier coach. a lot of hype and bluster. When it is time for the team to perform, Rex fails the team.

You know, it isn't fair because you are on the internet, but what has Rex said that has been hype and bluster that you probably haven't believed yourself this past offseason? I surely haven't heard everything Rex Ryan has said, but for the most part I believe he stated he "expects the Bills defense to do better than #3, they should be #1". I don't see a problem with that.

I ask people a shorter version of that in person when they tell me Rex is a loudmouth. I ask them "What is the last loudmouth thing you heard him say?" No one can ever seem to remember.

The point is that, If he is a loudmouth, they should be able to tell me fairly easy, and it will confirm for me that they aren't being a talking piece for the media narrative. I have yet to find someone who remembers offhand a loudmouth thing Rex Ryan has said recently.

Edited by What a Tuel

@bcredmosquito asks: Any chance Rex is fired after the season if things really fall apart (6-10 record or worse) or does he still get another year?

They’re paying Rex around $5.5 million a year over five. The Pegulas have piles of money, but they’re not going to eat that sort of cash. Besides, Terry isn’t one to make hasty decisions about his employees. He proved that when he stuck with Darcy Regier as the Sabres’ general manager well beyond his expiration date.

Ryan brought credibility to the organization at a desperate time. He helped sell the most season tickets in franchise history. He’s the face of the franchise and a guy with a solid track record as a defensive coach. There’s still hope for this season and if they flame out, he can use injuries and bad quarterback play as an excuse.

That doesn’t mean Rex is on a permanent honeymoon. He needs to win soon or he’ll wear out his welcome with the Pegulas. But if anyone gets tossed into the volcano if they don’t make the playoffs this season, it’ll be Whaley.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/29/mailbag-despite-disarray-ryan-isnt-going-anywhere/

So far the OP has a point.

That article by Sullivan is lame.C'mon BB Mr Pegula has 3.8 Billion, and that equates to 3800 million. So 20 mill over four years is like pocket change to the man. Money won't be the reason if Rex Ryan is or isn't fired after this year.

A desperate time? A winning record last year at 9-7 for the first time in a decade. The Buffalo Bills were on the upswing with one of the top defenses in the NFL from last year. #4 in total defense, and #1 in sacks, sack percentage. Suddenly this year looks to be a desperate time with still no franchise QB, offensive skill players made of glass and a mediocre defense. I wonder what thoughts went through Kim Pegula's mind when she heard the Bills new HC say he wanted to build a bully in Buffalo?

Everything will depend on how much this new owner wants to win, and how fast he wants to get there IMO. New ownership needs to realize that now that the Bills fan base is no longer in death throes because the team was so close to leaving Buffalo with Bon Jovi or Trump. So, now the Buffalo Bills are going to need to produce on the field to sell tickets, or its 1984 all over again with a near empty stadium, and fans with bags on their heads.

It must irk Terry Pegula that the NY Jets hired some senior NFL advisers who prompted that owner to hire a new GM-HC, and the Jets went from 4-12 last year to now 4-2 while winning with the #1 defense in the league, and with Fitz at QB. This new owner needs to stop listening to Ralph Wilson's advisers / cronies / henchmen because this is a different time, and needs a new beginning, If nothing else Terry Pegula must know its not all about just making money, and selling tickets. Like he said, if he wants to make money he would just drill another well.

Its all about winning games and putting top quality talent on the field, and sidelines. This team needs to compete against the very best NFL head coach, and QB in the league. In order to do that they must find the proper man at the top, and its not an oil & gas man or a marketing guy at the top of the football operations chart! This franchise needs a Bill Polian type at the top of the flow chart.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f1fd73/article/talent-evaluator-you-would-most-want-to-run-your-teams-draft

The name I keep reading is Ted Thompson.

The problem with the argument "Rex ruined our defense" is that there is absolutely no way to measure whether or not poor execution rather than gameplan is at fault. This defensive line is supposed to be elite to the point where they can get to the QB without all blitzing. They did it last year, quite often, despite what people think. Now when Rex decides to experiment and drop these guys into coverage a few times, then he is automatically at fault for supposedly messing up the entire rest of the defensive gameplan without any scrutinization of the players whatsoever. I'm not exactly sold that there wouldn't have been regression if Schwartz was still here.

based on what?

the players are not happy with they are being used and it's more than dropping into coverage. With Schwartz the Dline was penetrating getting upfield, now they are required to hold on lineman so LBs can make plays. This style of Defense is the complete opposite of the type of players we have.

You know, it isn't fair because you are on the internet, but what has Rex said that has been hype and bluster that you probably haven't believed yourself this past offseason? I surely haven't heard everything Rex Ryan has said, but for the most part I believe he stated he "expects the Bills defense to do better than #3, they should be #1". I don't see a problem with that.

I ask people a shorter version of that in person when they tell me Rex is a loudmouth. I ask them "What is the last loudmouth thing you heard him say?" No one can ever seem to remember.

The point is that, If he is a loudmouth, they should be able to tell me fairly easy, and it will confirm for me that they aren't being a talking piece for the media narrative. I have yet to find someone who remembers offhand a loudmouth thing Rex Ryan has said recently.

So far the OP has a point.

That article by Sullivan is lame.C'mon BB Mr Pegula has 3.8 Billion, and that equates to 3800 million. So 20 mill over four years is like pocket change to the man. Money won't be the reason if Rex Ryan is or isn't fired after this year.

A desperate time? A winning record last year at 9-7 for the first time in a decade. The Buffalo Bills were on the upswing with one of the top defenses in the NFL from last year. #4 in total defense, and #1 in sacks, sack percentage. Suddenly this year looks to be a desperate time with still no franchise QB, offensive skill players made of glass and a mediocre defense. I wonder what thoughts went through Kim Pegula's mind when she heard the Bills new HC say he wanted to build a bully in Buffalo?

Everything will depend on how much this new owner wants to win, and how fast he wants to get there IMO. New ownership needs to realize that now that the Bills fan base is no longer in death throes because the team was so close to leaving Buffalo with Bon Jovi or Trump. So, now the Buffalo Bills are going to need to produce on the field to sell tickets, or its 1984 all over again with a near empty stadium, and fans with bags on their heads.

It must irk Terry Pegula that the NY Jets hired some senior NFL advisers who prompted that owner to hire a new GM-HC, and the Jets went from 4-12 last year to now 4-2 while winning with the #1 defense in the league, and with Fitz at QB. This new owner needs to stop listening to Ralph Wilson's advisers / cronies / henchmen because this is a different time, and needs a new beginning, If nothing else Terry Pegula must know its not all about just making money, and selling tickets. Like he said, if he wants to make money he would just drill another well.

Its all about winning games and putting top quality talent on the field, and sidelines. This team needs to compete against the very best NFL head coach, and QB in the league. In order to do that they must find the proper man at the top, and its not an oil & gas man or a marketing guy at the top of the football operations chart! This franchise needs a Bill Polian type at the top of the flow chart.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f1fd73/article/talent-evaluator-you-would-most-want-to-run-your-teams-draft

The name I keep reading is Ted Thompson.

it's not about money it's about Terry's style of not being quick to make changes, I'd be shocked if Rex is fired even if we lose the rest of our games.

I would like Thompson here.

it's not about money it's about Terry's style of not being quick to make changes, I'd be shocked if Rex is fired even if we lose the rest of our games.

I would like Thompson here.

I'd be shocked if Rex Ryan isn't fired should the team lose even six more games.

I have the (hopeful) suspicion that new ownership went along with the old regime under Ralph Wilson to keep his CEO, marking guy happy. Now that Brandon is CEO of both the Sabres, and Bills I don't think that Terry Pegula would have difficulty in hiring that football czar to help run his team. Pegula did give Brandon, Whaley another year to show they could improve the team, and as of right now that hasn't happened.

I think that the new owners realize that getting the right people into the right positions in the structure of an organization is what being successful in business is all about.