A blueprint to slow down Brady?

YoloinOhio

What do you think of Chris Trapasso's plan?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25330533/why-tom-brady-is-nearly-unstoppable-and-how-teams-might-stop-him

Belichick's up-tempo, spread-out, short-passing system puts continuous stress on the defense, and Brady executes it exquisitely.

But based on the numbers and what the Patriots have done offensively through three games, defenses must have the courage to play tight, bump-and-run coverage, sprinkle in some zone blitzes -- yes, that means the best pass-rusher may be asked to drop into a shallow zone -- and ask Brady to beat them over the top.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex is mr zone blitz. So that generalization alone doesn't buy anything.

I agree your only chance is to force them to go over the top of you (1) it's lower percentage stuff (2) it allows you to get hits on Brady, which is an absolute must.

You have to accept that you'll get burned on a few but they don't really have a deep threat and again, even if they connect the goal is getting hits on him.

Oh yeah one other thing, if you are going to get a bunch of 15 yarders, get them for roughing the passer not taunting Edelman

I prefer my plan: baseball bat to the knees.

Yeah- I was expecting over inflated footballs, snipers or paying off gizselle to take him out along these lines Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

What about keeping a mental clock for the DL to put your hands up? More batted balls?

I've been saying this for weeks!!! Even posted this during Pats game!!! Specifically the DEs. Jumping with hands in the throwing lanes will throw off Brady's quick passes to the likes of Edelman and Amendola allowing Marcel and Kyle to get pressure up the middle.

How is this his plan? It's basically been the accepted wisdom for some time now. Getting it to work and sticking with it appear to be challenges.

Yup. It's like saying "all you have to do to beat the Bills' defense is to get the ball out in under 2 seconds."

I've been saying this for weeks!!! Even posted this during Pats game!!! Specifically the DEs. Jumping with hands in the throwing lanes will throw off Brady's quick passes to the likes of Edelman and Amendola allowing Marcel and Kyle to get pressure up the middle.

I said it a couple of weeks ago too. It makes sense. I feel like the Giants of a few years ago used to do this and it worked.

Some people may be afraid that it will stop the effectiveness of the pass rush to disengage and put your hands up but we aren't getting to Brady anyway.

Edited by HamSandwhich

That's basically the plan that many of us talked about leading up to the week 2 game...the part that was missing was press coverage.

Pressure, tight coverage, and unpredictability? Going out on a limb there.

Problem is it's real hard for any team to do consistently.