Carucci: Disconnect exists between DL and scheme

YoloinOhio

So what kind of defense will the Bills be bringing this Sunday?

Maybe a soft zone ? lol. Tampa 2?

Mariota is really good but really young. He is also pretty smart.

Maybe Rex will let the horses run let so many wish for?

No way that Marcus should have a good game against this D.......but, you never know the way they have been making mistakes and not putting their top talent in position to make plays.

If he does....Rex will be like "that's not us" and he will talk about demanding accountability and such.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it doesn't matter. Their scheme is what the poster was referring to.

Chancellor's play at the end of the Lions game is the same one AW made against Jax to save a TD in 2013. He's capable of the same play despite not being as good of a player overall. It's the excuse of not having a guy that is used for another team but not the Bills.

I seem to remember that our defense suffered quite a bit when Aaron Williams was out last year. I think he is more important to our defense than many realize.

I seem to remember that our defense suffered quite a bit when Aaron Williams was out last year. I think he is more important to our defense than many realize.

I might agree. something that needs to be fixed btw. players get injured

He allows both safety positions to play a bit shallower than we've seen with Rambo, etc. in there. I'm not expecting him to be spectacular after the time off, but I'll settle for solid. He's an important piece in the scheme of things.

GO BILLS!!!

His neck has been a problem for a couple years now.

I was kind of surprised that he got thru last season without getting IR'd.

Re-injuring it early this year is not real encouraging.

Hard to protect a bad neck.

They need to find a replacement.

Seems the hype around the safeties this preseason.......Rex reportedly hated to part with any of them......has not been very well founded to this point.

Arron Williams was playing in the Patriots game, and the defense still allowed a franchise worst 466 yards passing to Brady.

The differences are the scheme, lack of D line player rotation, and penalties

Yes at the end of the season he had that D in prime shape. First half of the last game he had Brady shut down. You'll probably argue it was a meaningless game and Brady didn't try.

First half of the first game he shut Brady down too...it was 10-7 at the half before NE went on a rampage in the second half and scored on every possession

Edited by matter2003

dropoff from what -- sacks and pressures from all of 2014 combined? Bills DL currently ranks 8th in QB pressures with 67 and we all know we've played two QBs out of 4 who got the ball out too fast to sack. The scheme itself does not rely on sacks, it's intention is to force bad throws. The sacks will be there with certain matchups due to talent level but it's not this scheme's calling card. Hughes was an absolute menace vs Miami and his stat line was 1 tackle 0 sacks. The comments make sense from the article. They are doing different stuff that takes adaptation. It's a work in progress. This scheme is complex and will take more than four games to gel as a unit. IMO they know what they are doing as they've been successful in the past.

I realise that Schemes are something teams can instantly learn, but I'm not sure why we switched schemes to begin with. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Also, it just kinda sucks as a fan to watch a 500mil DLine not get sacks, and worse, get pummeled like they did today.

I realise that Schemes are something teams can instantly learn, but I'm not sure why we switched schemes to begin with. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Also, it just kinda sucks as a fan to watch a 500mil DLine not get sacks, and worse, get pummeled like they did today.

This problem is as old as the hills. Good coaches use a scheme that fits the players talents. Don Shula ground and pound; gets Dan Marino, prolific passing attack. Bill Belichick constantly adapting to what his players can do. Look at the great coaches always adapting to the players they have and putting them in positions to succeed. The mediocre coaches fit the players to their scheme. What does that say about REX?

Do you think when Don Shula had Dan Marino he thought to himself oh boy I am a running coach becuase I had Larry Csonka, Kick and Mercury Morris and we ran the ball like 50 times a game. A good coach knows how to use his personnel. Rex is trying to force his defensive ideas on this team and he does not have the right personnel. He should let this team go back to letting the defensive line go into full attack mode and play the NINE WIDE defense. He's trying to force a defense on this team that can'y play the style he wants. Rex does not have the linebackers to play this style defense he is trying to install. Rex just needs to swallow his pride. Why can't he see the Bills defense is going backwards. This was once feared defense and now they are playing passive and look like a bunch of girls out there. get your act together Rex This is starting to get embarrassing to watch.

“What people don’t understand is you’re not running the same defense that we ran last year,” Hughes said. “This isn’t the 4-3, four down linemen, go after the quarterback. This is a 3-4 defense. We know what the 3-4 defense entails because we’ve had it before,” in 2013 when Ryan coaching disciple Mike Pettine was Buffalo’s defensive coordinator. “I just think it’s going to take guys some time to get used to making those calls and get that mindset to 4-3.

Last year’s gone.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/18/rush-to-judgment-d-linemen-pin-loss-on-3-4-scheme/

This also isn't Mike Pettine's version of a 3-4 either because that defense was always creating pressure on the QB, and was the #2 team in the league in sacks!

Kinda sad that the one area of the team that everyone thought would get better suddenly got worse with the very same players. This years defensive scheme stinks!!

Somewhere Dave Wannstedt is smirking!

“What people don’t understand is you’re not running the same defense that we ran last year,” Hughes said. “This isn’t the 4-3, four down linemen, go after the quarterback. This is a 3-4 defense. We know what the 3-4 defense entails because we’ve had it before,” in 2013 when Ryan coaching disciple Mike Pettine was Buffalo’s defensive coordinator. “I just think it’s going to take guys some time to get used to making those calls and get that mindset to 4-3.

Last year’s gone.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/18/rush-to-judgment-d-linemen-pin-loss-on-3-4-scheme/

This also isn't Mike Pettine's version of a 3-4 either because that defense was always creating pressure on the QB, and was the #2 team in the league in sacks!

Kinda sad that the one area of the team that everyone thought would get better suddenly got worse with the very same players. This years defensive scheme stinks!!

Somewhere Dave Wannstedt is smirking!

The problem is that it's not really the same aggressive scheme Ryan is known for either. The QBs getting rid of the ball quickly seems to have spooked him so while he's still doing exotic things with his pass rush (by dropping DL into coverage and brining other guys from different angles) he's not unleashing the pass rush like he normally does. He's brining, 3, 4 and, sometimes, 5 guys. When he did dial up the pressure yesterday it generally worked, but that was nowhere near enough times.

Do you think when Don Shula had Dan Marino he thought to himself oh boy I am a running coach becuase I had Larry Csonka, Kick and Mercury Morris and we ran the ball like 50 times a game. A good coach knows how to use his personnel. Rex is trying to force his defensive ideas on this team and he does not have the right personnel. He should let this team go back to letting the defensive line go into full attack mode and play the NINE WIDE defense. He's trying to force a defense on this team that can'y play the style he wants. Rex does not have the linebackers to play this style defense he is trying to install. Rex just needs to swallow his pride. Why can't he see the Bills defense is going backwards. This was once feared defense and now they are playing passive and look like a bunch of girls out there. get your act together Rex This is starting to get embarrassing to watch.

This is correct!

It's pretty amazing, i was just thinking about this same thing this morning !

2 Different teams, 1 constant, & 2 different out comes !

You take the Bills & the Jets 2014 to 2015, the constant is Rex , last year the Bills were balls out, 54 sacks, dominating all around on defense & we whipped the jets with a less than staler QB & offensive scheme .

Fast forward to this year 2015, 2 defensive squads same players different coaches & schemes, the Jets are killing their opponents on D with the same personal & different coach.

The Bills went from number 4 D in the league with last years same personal to this year & have some good things but have fallen to basically where the Jets were last year !

The only thing that has changed is the scheme & i'm not believing that it's just the players trying to figure out what each other is doing , i think it is more the scheme isn't working & the rest of the league has the Rex D figured out !!

Great point ! I agree totally !!

Fast forward to this year 2015, 2 defensive squads same players different coaches & schemes, the Jets are killing their opponents on D with the same personal & different coach.

The Jets do not have the "same players" on D this year. They've added two top end CBs and a young stud at DE. Adding talent at the two most important positions on a D can't be said to be the "same personal."

It's pretty amazing, i was just thinking about this same thing this morning !

2 Different teams, 1 constant, & 2 different out comes !

You take the Bills & the Jets 2014 to 2015, the constant is Rex , last year the Bills were balls out, 54 sacks, dominating all around on defense & we whipped the jets with a less than staler QB & offensive scheme .

The Bills went from number 4 D in the league with last years same personal to this year & have some good things but have fallen to basically where the Jets were last year !

The only thing that has changed is the scheme & i'm not believing that it's just the players trying to figure out what each other is doing , i think it is more the scheme isn't working & the rest of the league has the Rex D figured out !!

Great point ! I agree totally !!

Except for the fact that the Jets don't have the same personnel . Adding Darrelle Revis and Cromartie to their Defense fixed their biggest problem: the secondary . They also had no top WR and added Brandon Marshall. Fitz will give average QBing, that's an upgrade from Geno Smith, who was a turnover machine. The theory doesn't hold water.