Tyrod = Jeff Blake v. 2.0 (or who do you say?)

I've been trying to figure out who Tyrod reminds me of, and it hit me: Jeff Blake, Bengals QB in the mid-90s.

6th Round pick, listed at 6'1" but looked shorter, threw a really pretty long ball, had a nice few years including a Pro Bowl season. He wasn't nearly as fast as Tyrod but he was athletic - they called in Shake 'n' Blake for his scrambles, and he had over 300 yards rushing in 3 different seasons. And as I mentioned in another thread when Blake popped into my head ... I think Blake is a realistic upside for Tyrod.

Others have said Vick 2.0, but I don't really see that. After 4 full games, who do you think he plays like? Anyone else come to mind as a comparable?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod is different than Blake in a lot of ways. He's more accurate and poised than Vick was at this age. His poise and sudden quickness in the pocket really resembles Russell Wilson. If he keeps playing like this and the defense can become what it is supposed to be, he will win a lot of games.

I've been trying to figure out who Tyrod reminds me of, and it hit me: Jeff Blake, Bengals QB in the mid-90s.

6th Round pick, listed at 6'1" but looked shorter, threw a really pretty long ball, had a nice few years including a Pro Bowl season. He wasn't nearly as fast as Tyrod but he was athletic - they called in Shake 'n' Blake for his scrambles, and he had over 300 yards rushing in 3 different seasons. And as I mentioned in another thread when Blake popped into my head ... I think Blake is a realistic upside for Tyrod.

Others have said Vick 2.0, but I don't really see that. After 4 full games, who do you think he plays like? Anyone else come to mind as a comparable?

They seem pretty similar...I always thought Blake was a better QB than he was given credit for.

All I remember about Blake was that he was an average QB who threw rainbows for deep balls.

Way too early to compare TT to anyone, but he does play like Russell Wilson in that he doesn't look to run first. He'll go through his progressions and then run - or run if the protection breaks down.

I'm surprised at the number of threads/posts criticizing Tyrod at this point. He has played four games as "the man" and has really made very few mistakes. Without a couple of dubious penalties he would have thrown for two and run for one last week, and his INT was a fantastic play by the LB (that was borderline DPI). The guy is still learning.

I'm surprised at the number of threads/posts criticizing Tyrod at this point. He has played four games as "the man" and has really made very few mistakes. Without a couple of dubious penalties he would have thrown for two and run for one last week, and his INT was a fantastic play by the LB (that was borderline DPI). The guy is still learning.

He has been solid. I threw Blake's name out there because (1) Tyrod does remind me of Blake; (2) it's a does of realism -- Blake was a Pro Bowl QB! When have we last had one of those? Fran Tarkenton? Really? A Hall of Famer?

I admit it - I once said Fitzy reminded me of Kurt Warner. I learned my lesson. I should've said he reminded me of, umm, Chad Pennington (a fine QB with a weak arm until shoulder problems took even that away from him, but no Hall of Famer). Actually Manziel is more Tarkenton-esque (and not because he's white) since he has the weaker arm and the amazing scrambling ability (obviously lacking the smarts and discipline, which is kind of a big deal). I do think it's useful to consider who a guy plays like since it focuses us on realistic best, worst, and middling scenarios.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Tyrod is athletic like Vick (Although I think Vick was a bit faster) but Tyrod throws better and plays more like a pocket passer that can run as opposed to a running quarterback. So while Tyrod's athletic ability may be similar to Vick in a sense, his play style differs vastly. I think his playstyle reminds me of Dante Culpepper (A QB that can run but plays more so in the pocket). But Culpepper's athletic ability was vastly different (Culpepper was much bigger, had a cannon arm, and was a bit slower).

So I would say that there really isn't a direct comparison. Tyrod doesn't play like any single QB, he plays like a combo of various other QB's. Either way he has been more impressive than I have thought but still needs to work on his game and get more comfortable in the offense.