Tyrod = Jeff Blake v. 2.0 (or who do you say?)

The McNabb comparison is a pretty good one. Donovan didn't force the run but used it when the opportunity presented itself to move the chains. Later in his career, he ran less, but that's a TBD for Tyrod. Anyway, I would be more than happy of Taylor turns out looking like McNabb.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way too soon to officially compare him to anyone yet but I know his growth (not necessarily style of play) has been compared to Rodgers in that he waited a few years behind a veteran before starting. Keep in mind even after sitting for a few years Rodgers failed to get Green Bay into the post season in his first full year as the starter. In fact, GB went 6-10 that year.

I've been trying to figure out who Tyrod reminds me of, and it hit me: Jeff Blake, Bengals QB in the mid-90s.

6th Round pick, listed at 6'1" but looked shorter, threw a really pretty long ball, had a nice few years including a Pro Bowl season. He wasn't nearly as fast as Tyrod but he was athletic - they called in Shake 'n' Blake for his scrambles, and he had over 300 yards rushing in 3 different seasons. And as I mentioned in another thread when Blake popped into my head ... I think Blake is a realistic upside for Tyrod.

Others have said Vick 2.0, but I don't really see that. After 4 full games, who do you think he plays like? Anyone else come to mind as a comparable?

half vick, half wilson. better athete than Wilson, but not as reckless as Vick. I love this guy. plays like this after ONLY 4 NFL games. How high is his upside ?? Those drops in the bucket to Hogan v. Phins and to Karlos last sunday were just $$$. A dozen guys make those throws, that's it.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Check those feelings. Kaep is a career 60% passer. We have an admittedly small sample with Tyrod but he's over 70% -- and he has been going downfield.

I find your assessment curious -- you've already determined what Tyrod's ceiling is after four games in which he's been pretty damn good and done more than what the Bills expected of him.

Your pretty touchy. Never ceiling. I actually used the phrase "right now". And overall completion percentage is not the same thing as long or medium range accuracy

Didn't he cue up another 10 pts that didn't get on the board 'cuz of team mistakes? And didn't many say at the beginning of the season if we score 20 pts a game we should be able to win with a good D?

17 points in fact (that didnt get on the board)

Edited by 34-78-83

Seriously though, Jeff Blake? I mean really? Blake was known for his rainbow deep ball. Wasn't especially mobile. More of a pocket guy with some mobility. The poster who said half Vick and half Wilson has it right. He has qualities from both. His favorite QB growing up was Warren Moon. He got a lot of inspiration from Michael Vick, just being similar in style and both attending VT. Good friends now. Tyrod is incredibly athletic, but Vick was off the charts athletic for a QB. Tyrod seems more mature and polished. Less reliant on his legs than Vick was. That's where I lean Wilson. Tyrod is scrambling to throw most the time, similar to Wilson. Vick just wanted to run.

Any white guy comps ? Trent Green mixed w Vince Young perhaps ?

Scramblin Fran

I am going with a young, more athletic Drew Brees.

The Blake comparison is interesting-- both guys have great deep balls. But I can't recall Blake as being as good of a passer as TT otherwise.

By the way, I have nothing bad to say about TTs play. Literally nothing. If you are not thrilled at what we have at QB now, you don't understand football. This guy gets better every game; super accurate; big time 3rd down conversions; careful with the ball.