Lions got SCREWED

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should that even be a penalty. If he had just grabbed the ball wouldn;t the outcome have been the same? Or if he had not batted it, it was going out of bounds anyway.

Same result--touchback.

It's a rule because it is much easier to bat the ball out than to gain possession of it.

I don't care if it should be a rule or not. It is and should be enforced.

The Seahawks continue to be the squireliest team in the NFL.

Does anyone know of another NFL team that has won 2 games in the last 3 years due to blatent blown ref calls?

Edited by reddogblitz

It's a rule because it is much easier to bat the ball out than to gain possession of it.

I think the rule is designed to prevent a player from batting a ball forward in order to gain yardage basically. I could be wrong, but the formulation of the rule I have seen doesn't seem to prevent batting the ball backwards, which is what the Seahawks did (considering they were in their own end zone.

I think the rule is designed to prevent a player from batting a ball forward in order to gain yardage basically. I could be wrong, but the formulation of the rule I have seen doesn't seem to prevent batting the ball backwards, which is what the Seahawks did (considering they were in their own end zone.

If you say so. They showed the rule and it said a player can't bat the ball out of either EZ if the ball is loose.

I think it's also in place so if there is a free ball in the end zone with offense and defense players all around, the defense can't take the easy route and knock it out of the end zone to prevent an offensive player from recovering for a TD

The whole touchback rule should be changed either way. If a player fumbles a ball out of bounds, the ball is returned to the team that last had possession at the spot of the fumble. Why should it be different fumbling into the endzone? They really need to change that.

Edited to add: why should the defense benefit when they did not or could not recover the ball?

Edited by What a Tuel

The league reviews scoring plays in the endzone and all turnovers, but that wasn't reviewable. That's crazy. It's a fumble and the other team got it. It's a turnover!

It was inside 2 minutes and isn't it considered a turnover? Aren't all turnovers reviewed?

Here's the rule:

A player may not bat or punch:

(a) A loose ball (in field of play) toward his opponent’s goal line or in any direction in either end zone.

Seems pretty cut and dried. Seahawks squirrel out again due to refs (and players) not knowing the rules.

It was inside 2 minutes and isn't it considered a turnover? Aren't all turnovers reviewed?

Apparently, only the turnover itself is review-able, and not the rest of the play.

The NFL needs its whole system of officiating blown up. Along with the rulebook.

Apparently, only the turnover itself is review-able, and not the rest of the play.

The NFL needs its whole system of officiating blown up. Along with the rulebook.

I totally agree. The NFL rulebook is ridiculous. A person shouldn't need a law degree to understand the rules of any game.

How many flags would the Bills D got called for on that play?

Well, at least a couple, because if it was Jerry Hughes or Preston Brown, they would have deemed their menacing behavior to constitute unsportsmanlike conduct. At which point, they would have suspended the "half the distance rule," given Calvin Johnson credit for going 15 yards into the endzone and thus crediting the Lions with two touchdowns. :wallbash: I think I'm getting over the officiating pretty well, don't you?

I don't think that rule applies. Only applies if you bat it towards your goal line. Seahawks batted backward out of the end zone.

No it definitely does. Dean Blandino and Jerry Markbreit both confirmed it was a blown call.

First of all, it's a stupid rule. No one but KJ Wright was anywhere near the ball, certainly not any Lions. Had there been a Lions player in the vicinity and KJ batted it out of the end zone to prevent a TD, it should have been a penalty.

Second, and more importantly: How many games this season haven't been decided by the officials? This league blows.

Well, at least a couple, because if it was Jerry Hughes or Preston Brown, they would have deemed their menacing behavior to constitute unsportsmanlike conduct. At which point, they would have suspended the "half the distance rule," given Calvin Johnson credit for going 15 yards into the endzone and thus crediting the Lions with two touchdowns. :wallbash: I think I'm getting over the officiating pretty well, don't you?

Rex may have used to some ungentlemanly language on the sidelines and hurt a refs feelings. That will get ya 15 yards right there

Rex may have used to some ungentlemanly language on the sidelines and hurt a refs feelings. That will get ya 15 yards right there

It was comical to see how upset the ref was during the Pats** game. The guy closest to Rex looked like he was peeing his pants...then he threw the flag. It obviously had the look of a rookie who couldn't handle the pressure and overreacted. I don't think I've ever seen a flag thrown on a coach like that.

The NFL needs to do something and close the consistency gap with the flags. It is looking more and more rigged every week.

It was comical to see how upset the ref was during the Pats** game. The guy closest to Rex looked like he was peeing his pants...then he threw the flag. It obviously had the look of a rookie who couldn't handle the pressure and overreacted. I don't think I've ever seen a flag thrown on a coach like that.

I could see if Rex ran onto the field but he didn't. I can't recall a flag like that either. Rex did get fined bigtime last year by the league for swearing at officials so maybe they can throw a flag at him now for hurting their delicate feelings.

Edited by SirPorl

Robot refs?

What they really need to do is put a goPro on every ref's head. Then, they can add an out-of-shape ref who knows the rules for every mobile ref who can run with the play. That way, we get the best of both worlds. Besides, the guys on the field already have those Inspector Gadget headsets running. Who cares if they are getting corrections from HQ in NYC. The only people that will be upset by that will be the bookies and we know that the NFL doesn't have any connections to gambling...only FanDuel and DraftKings...and they aren't gambling... really it's not gambling...seriously...and it doesn't make a difference in our games anyhow...really...Roger means it!

Batting it out of the EZ IS a penalty.

Right, and in a review you can't call a penalty so how do you get the turnover overturned is my point.

Essentially the ref can't throw the flag, and the ball did go out of bounds, so short of "but come on guys" there's not a lot he could say to change the ruling

Edited by NoSaint

The officiating in the NFL is a joke, and has been for many years now. The two most inconsistent/unfair/fixed infractions are holding and pass interference.

But as long as fans keep going to the games, and people keep watching on tv, and fans keep buying NFL gear, nothing will ever change.

As Bills fans, we all know that it is very frustrating to watch, but it is also frustrating for every fan who just wants to see a sense of fairness and equality in the judging of a game.

The NFL needs to do something and close the consistency gap with the flags. It is looking more and more rigged every week.

I could see if Rex ran onto the field but he didn't. I can't recall a flag like that either. Rex did get fined bigtime last year by the league for swearing at officials so maybe they can throw a flag at him now for hurting their delicate feelings.

I don't know about rigged, but I've always thought that some refs have at least a subconscious bias.

Would require calling a penalty to overturn it is the issue- right?

Yeah, my bad.

Angry at myself because as I watched the play my first thought was "you can't do that!" But, not one word from anyone on the booth or sideline and I assumed that they changed the rule.

When are suspensions and fines going to be handed out to refs that are just plain bad at what they do. How about terminating their employment??? For the life of me, I cannot understand how this continues to happen. The game is on the line and the "blown call" clearly effected the outcome and the $(#(#* refs don't know the rules. Really????