The "can Dan" Carpenter thread

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so here's the thing. Yesterday there were 9 missed PAT's in the league if I read it correctly. Also, the FA crop of kickers is GARBAGE. So we cut DC and we get worse. We're still in better shape with him than we are with some FA off the street.

Don't get me wrong, yesterday's win was huge even though we didn't get much of the help we needed yesterday from the Giants and Colts.

But Dan Carpenter's becoming a huge liability to this team and I fear that eventually he may cost us down the stretch as it's looking like we're going to need to run the table and probably still need a couple teams to stumble along the way.

Yes, I understand there are other more glaring flaws on this team, but dude's missed FOUR extra points this year, not to mention some other crucial kicks.

Not sure what the crop of free agent kickers are, maybe someone could fill me in on this, but I know had Houston drove down the field and scored to win 28-27 yesterday, the entire Ralph Wilson Stadium crowd probably would've stormed the field and straight up "ended" Mr. Carpenter...

But they didn't

so here's the thing. Yesterday there were 9 missed PAT's in the league if I read it correctly. Also, the FA crop of kickers is GARBAGE. So we cut DC and we get worse. We're still in better shape with him than we are with some FA off the street.

Theres always a few good ones its up to the scouts to find them. Sometimes you have to look to the soccer leagues as well. But your right in a sense- great kickers are hard to get.

Heres the stats for PAT's missed. From a percentage missed standpoint Carpenter is second worse in the league behind Janikowski. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/kicking/position/defense

@MichaelDavSmith: There have been 57 missed extra points in the NFL this season. There were 8 missed extra points in the NFL last season.

The missed xp yesterday was on the holder btw

Laces showing yes- still makeable most likely. I would say its a little on both. Regardless Dan is second worse in the league right now. Yesterdays one outlier isnt skewing the pot too much.

Wasn't moving the XP line of scrimmage supposed to do what it is doing? Making it more difficult / game changing? And don't put the XP miss all on DC. Holder never spun the ball to get the laces pointed toward the goal posts. I saw that when they showed the end zone view on the first replay.

And if you cut DC, what warmed over spit kicker are you going to get off of the street?

I'll keep my money on DC.

Edited by BuffaloBud

http://redskinscapitalconnection.com/dustin-hopkins-a-rare-find/

It's particularly infuriating to see what our own dustin Hopkins is doing on grass in DC. May make the pro bowl. 18/20, 23/23. Great touchback percentage. Was waiting for the phone to ring when the season started.

The only kicker I've ever banged the table for and we actually drafted him. Really happy for Dustin, he's a good dude. Just wish he didn't get injured his rookie year.

Draft Ka'imi Fairbairn and prosper.

Edited by Blokestradamus

People forget how good he was the last couple of years. He was accurate and consistent. Don't know what his problem is right now but it's probably a mental thing. I'd keep him for sure. He'll figure it out.

Agree. A couple of other things: If you recall early in the season, Rex publicly called him out. I think "maybe" Rex is in his head...mental thing. Additionally, you guys all saw the holder mess up the hold yesterday on the missed FG.

Not saying Carp isn't struggling but there may be factors causing it that are not readily apparent. and yes, I think he'll come out of it. Not sure who could replace him at this point that would be a whole lot better either.

dan carpenter will be fine. working his way back from injury.

no way they should cut him this season. whatever is out there, will be worse.

next season, bring in some competition. Dan will win the job.

Edited by papazoid

Who does the OP propose as Carpenter's replacement? I'll bet he has no clue.

Maybe you should learn to actually read a post and spend some time brushing up on your reading comprehension before being so quick to criticize a poster.

He had a valid point and admitted he did not know if there was someone better. He then asked for someone to help enlighten him on any options available in upcoming FA.

"Not sure what the crop of free agent kickers are, maybe someone could fill me in on this"

The quantity of posts you have made does not automatically make you smarter, better or more knowledgeable.

A constructive, knowledgeable post would have been listing the soon to be available FAs and draftees, and then giving the facts to prove that DC is a better choice than any available replacements. Not some snarky one liner insulting a legitimate poster, just because you don't agree with his different, yet legitimate point of view.