I promise to be patient with JP

stevestojan

I shall treat him no differently than I do any other Bill:

he's got a 1 year/16 game grace period where I may question some of his individual plays,

but I will not slam the individual.

If he shows me at least something during that grace period, all will be fine. :(

If he shows me nothing but bone-headed mistakes with no sign of improvement during that grace period, he will be slammed as soon as the grace period is over until he either turns things around or leaves town. :blink:

Bottom line, you've got to royally suck for a long time to get on my sh--list,

I'm fairly easy-going. :doh:

239137[/snapback]

It's obvious to most of us that Drew's grace period expired. I guess there's a good sized minority who believe Ralph is a complete idiot. The scenario where Ralph says DB's getting no more starting money from me is too hard to believe?

The Bills brass WANTS DB gone. They knew he would cut himself after being offered the second banana job.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to break numbers down, what are the numbers for the last 12 games of the season?  Then what are those numbers if you take out his atrocious Ravens game?

I bet they're nowhere near as bad; but I don't know that for a fact, so post both of those scenarios if you don't mind (and/or have time).

CW

239102[/snapback]

The average for the last 12 games:

178 yds/game

1.25 TDs/game

1.08 INT/game

1.58 sacks/game

75.84 QB rating

The average against .500 or better clubs (we went 3-9 in those games):

189.8 yds/game

1TD/game

1.55 INT/game

2.5 sacks/game

69.7 QB rating

The average for the last 12 games:

178 yds/game

1.25 TDs/game

1.08 INT/game

1.58 sacks/game

75.84 QB rating

The average against .500 or better clubs (we went 3-9 in those games):

189.8 yds/game

1TD/game

1.55 INT/game

2.5 sacks/game

69.7 QB rating

239168[/snapback]

What are "stats that suck for a supposedly Pro Bowl QB, Alex?"

You won't say one critical thing through 2006? DAMN....

239031[/snapback]

Critical is fine. Critical is healthy.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying "Damn, he had the power in that one but didn't notice the rush... if he wouldn't have let it go, there wouldn't have been an int. Rookie mistake."

There's a lot wrong with, "Bah! Gouge out his eyes and toss him to the jackals! JP=RJ!"

So who would you be enamored with starting?

239225[/snapback]

I don't think the QB he (or I) would be "enamored with" starting is on the roster. Personally, I'm still more comfortable with Bledsoe than Losman...but that's kind of like saying I'm more comfortable being hung upside down by my toes than being covered in honey and staked to an anthill.

No we have to get to the playoffs this year. NO EXCUSES! We could get there this year if Drew comes back so we better get there with JP at the helm.

239052[/snapback]

Exactly. I'll give this guy the same amount of time we give everyone else. Zero. Put up or be gone. He's inheriting a playoff caliber team. Anything less and he failed.

There's a lot of pressure on this kid so we're gonna find out real quick what he's made of. I hopeful, but not optimistic.

I don't think the QB he (or I) would be "enamored with" starting is on the roster.  Personally, I'm still more comfortable with Bledsoe than Losman...but that's kind of like saying I'm more comfortable being hung upside down by my toes than being covered in honey and staked to an anthill.

239228[/snapback]

Bingo.

Exactly.  I'll give this guy the same amount of time we give everyone else. Zero. Put up or be gone. He's inheriting a playoff caliber team. Anything less and he failed.

There's a lot of pressure on this kid so we're gonna find out real quick what he's made of. I hopeful, but not optimistic.

239267[/snapback]

Bit unrealistic isn't it? A 10+ year vet got 3 years to show that he couldn't get the job done...why would you give JP anything less?

What the hell is wrong with most of you people? We were 9 -7 last season. Why in blazes should we be satisfied with anything less? If JP doesn't give us the best chance to win next season, then keep his butt holding the clip board. Drew may have squandered the #1 special teams, and the #2 defense, but why does being a rookie make it okay for JP to do worse than that? 6 - 10 sucks. Anything less than playoffs next year sucks. Aren't you guys sick of not making the playoffs? I know I am. If JP is a step backwards at QB, then we are really wasting the defense and special teams. Who knows, by the time he does figure things out, our defense and ST might be sh--. What good is that? If Donahoe and Mularkey don't think we will be a playoff caliber team with JP at the helm next year, then he doesn't need to be starting. End of Rant.

If we go 5-11 or 6-10 it will undoubtably be because Losman did not step up to the plate and collapsed under the pressure. I will not be all warm and fuzzy if this is the case. Is it that hard to ask Losman to not be a hero and take care of the ball???? That is all he has to do and it isn't asking a whole lot if you ask me.

You seem to forget that we have a hellacious defense, running game and special teams. We have to make the playoffs or Losman no doubt gets tagged the goat. If he's not comfortable with this or does not want to put in the neccessary hours of practice than he should quit now.

The Bills are no longer in a rebuilding phase compadre.

239042[/snapback]

I agree totally with you. He should at least match Bledsoes 9-7. I think it speaks volumes that a SoCal guy showed up in Buffalo in Febuary to work out.

Hm.

So, basically you think Losman is going to BUST, but Drew would only be slightly better?

Thats got to be tough as a Bills fan to accept. :blink:

239323[/snapback]

Yes, I do. And yes, it is. Unpleasant, to say the least...but I've survived Vince Ferragamo, Bruce Mathison, Clod Tollins, Doug Flutie, and Rob Johnson. I can survive another few years with either of these two until they get a capable QB on the roster. I don't have to like it, but I can survive it.

Bledsoe should be gone for the simple reason that the coaches needed a fuggin' ALARM CLOCK in practice. The sheer embarrassment should have inspired retirement to the woods of Montana at the very least....

The thought a supposed "HOF" QB needing an alarm clock to tell when to throw is about as absurd as it gets.

Bledsoe should be gone for the simple reason that the coaches needed a fuggin' ALARM CLOCK in practice.  The sheer embarrassment should have inspired retirement to the woods of Montana at the very least....

The thought a supposed "HOF" QB needing an alarm clock to tell when to throw is about as absurd as it gets.

239368[/snapback]

He'll be able to chuckle about it when he's up at the podium in Canton. :blink:

I'm giving him three seasons.  That's right, three SEASONS.  I'm not going to annoint him the next great player (ala Roethishamburger) nor rip him unmercifully, because he's going to do some remarkably stupid things AND make some amazing plays.

239034[/snapback]

Same here. Sign me up!

GO JP!

I'm on board...

I'll Pledge my patience with JP no matter what...This is what I have wanted for some time now, and I'm willing to accept JP's growing pains if that's what happens...

But I think the Kid will be just fine in time...I really do... :blink:

I promise you this that patience will only last 1 game then its back to the same ol nasty whiners.

239421[/snapback]

Once you learn good, basic grammar, you're going to kick some serious ass around here. :w00t:

I'll give ya this much, Sue. You may have a lot of opinions about this team one way or another...and I have to say some of your ideas are, at times, kinda bothersome...but at least you never sound like you're taking the position strictly so you will one day remind everyone you were right about it. There's something oddly refreshing about that... :blink::doh::(

One point being LOST here is the FACT that J.P. Losman's teammates will have to "step it up" in their game playing! Veterans need to rally this team to better play across the board so the transition isn't as tough. If everyone goes to camp willing to hold the block a little longer or run out the pattern, even if they're NOT the primary reciever, or make the effort on every pass play to concentrate all the more.....THEN it becomes a team concept that elevates Losmans' game. One very important player this year will be Eric Moulds! Less drops and more leadership from him, in my opinion, is essential. Offensively, if Moulds is sold on J.P., then everyone will follow! In Mike Mularkey's second year, I'm banking on improvement across the board... offense, defense, and special teams!

Bit unrealistic isn't it?  A 10+ year vet got 3 years to show that he couldn't get the job done...why would you give JP anything less?

239277[/snapback]

I do support the Bills and along with that comes their apparent decision to move JP to # 1. Bledsoe beyond the first 7-8 games 2002 has come up up short far more often than not so change is due.

Being pragmatic, one has to accept that the success/failure rate of those seeking to play this position is heavily weighted towards failure. Not a knock on JP, just reality. The odds are probably well in favor of him being worse than Bledsoe.

As for the "zero" comment, that really was more intended for those others here that have all the patience of a gnat. I'll give the kid some time, but if the Bills don't win 10 games or more this year, a strong argument could be made that he failed.

No stepping backwards.

Once you learn good, basic grammar, you're going to kick some serious ass around here. :w00t:

I'll give ya this much, Sue. You may have a lot of opinions about this team one way or another...and I have to say some of your ideas are, at times, kinda bothersome...but at least you never sound like you're taking the position strictly so you will one day remind everyone you were right about it. There's something oddly refreshing about that... :blink:  :doh:  :(

239444[/snapback]

My ideas are smart ones sir. Starting this rookie will only fuel the miserable fires that are already burning here on the TSW.

Nope, not me. 5-11 and 6-10 are not acceptable, especially when we have a QB currently under contract who has proven he can do better than that.

The excuses are starting this soon?

Playoffs is only goal, and a change in QB shouldn't change that. Screw the learning curve, we need the playoffs. If Buffalo can't make the playoffs with JP, he shouldn't friggin play.

I am kinda getting sick of people saying that JP is an unproven kid, or that he is injury prone. First of all, the former is obvious, the latter is bull sh--. 

The point is, we are pretty sure JP isn't gonna take us to the Super Bowl next year. We are all well aware of that.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we went 5-11 or 6-10. Although I feel our defense and ST could probably win us several by themselves.

But that being said, I promise to give the kid a chance. I will wait until AT LEAST week 8 before i make one comment about cutting him, beheading him, or equating him to Rob Johnson, or ANYTHING negative about him. I am going to give him a legitimate chance to prove himself. Should I break this promise, I will not post for a month. There.

239011[/snapback]

What the hell is this crap I'm reading now?  Steve, you were the one that posted that your grandmother would've done just as well as Drew did this year.  If our defense and special teams were solely responsible for a 9-7 record, and your grandmother would've equaled those wins, why the hell would you accept a 5 or 6 win season?!

It's like everyone who wanted Drew gone (and are apparantly getting their wish) are now covering their ass saying, "Yeah, well, we probably won't be good next year."  Why the hell would you take a 9-7 team that was one play away from making the playoffs and be ok with losing nearly 50% more games next season?!?!  Remember, if NC knocks down the ball against the Jags, if SOMEBODY knocks the ball down in the EZ against the Jags, if CV doesn't hold against the Jags, if Henry doesn't trip over a gopher against the Raiders, if NC's punt return isn't called back on a phantom hold, if Spikes is given a safety for being held in the EZ against Oakland, if Baker doesn't get burned for a long TD against the Raiders, if Henry gets 1 yard against the Pats (next play was a fumble for a TD), if the defense doesn't allow the Jets to score on their last possession, if Lindell doesn't miss the fieldgoal against the Steelers, if Reed doesn't throw an illegal pick (away from the play) against the Steelers, etc, etc, we would've been in the playoffs WITH DREW BLEDSOE AS QB.  Why the hell is everyone in this thread saying, "We'll give him a few years??"  In a couple of years our defense will most likely NOT be as dominant, nor will our special teams.  We went 9-7 last year (a WINNING record), and now you're willing to go to a Bengal-like 5 win season?  What the F???

Let me condsense this: Nobody is worse than Bledsoe at QB, he sucks!  Let's put in a rookie and be happy with 5 wins instead of 9!!!!  :blink:  :(  :w00t:  :doh:  HUH?!

CW

239097[/snapback]

this is the best post I have seen on the subject, well done Fezmid.

What the hell is this crap I'm reading now?  Steve, you were the one that posted that your grandmother would've done just as well as Drew did this year.  If our defense and special teams were solely responsible for a 9-7 record, and your grandmother would've equaled those wins, why the hell would you accept a 5 or 6 win season?!

It's like everyone who wanted Drew gone (and are apparantly getting their wish) are now covering their ass saying, "Yeah, well, we probably won't be good next year."  Why the hell would you take a 9-7 team that was one play away from making the playoffs and be ok with losing nearly 50% more games next season?!?!  Remember, if NC knocks down the ball against the Jags, if SOMEBODY knocks the ball down in the EZ against the Jags, if CV doesn't hold against the Jags, if Henry doesn't trip over a gopher against the Raiders, if NC's punt return isn't called back on a phantom hold, if Spikes is given a safety for being held in the EZ against Oakland, if Baker doesn't get burned for a long TD against the Raiders, if Henry gets 1 yard against the Pats (next play was a fumble for a TD), if the defense doesn't allow the Jets to score on their last possession, if Lindell doesn't miss the fieldgoal against the Steelers, if Reed doesn't throw an illegal pick (away from the play) against the Steelers, etc, etc, we would've been in the playoffs WITH DREW BLEDSOE AS QB.  Why the hell is everyone in this thread saying, "We'll give him a few years??"  In a couple of years our defense will most likely NOT be as dominant, nor will our special teams.  We went 9-7 last year (a WINNING record), and now you're willing to go to a Bengal-like 5 win season?  What the F???

Let me condsense this: Nobody is worse than Bledsoe at QB, he sucks!  Let's put in a rookie and be happy with 5 wins instead of 9!!!!  :blink:  :(  :w00t:  :doh:  HUH?!

CW

239097[/snapback]

You got it. This is my issue as well. Everyone seems to be okay with a 6 win season just so long as Bledsoe isn't QB. Well no it isn't. Yeah Drew hasn't put us in the playoffs and yes he looks pretty stupid at times, but he has had two seasons at .500 or better.

JP best season as a QB in college is 5-7. He doesn't know how to win. Not sure why he is so cocky he doesn't have the record to back it up.

Here's the issue... the column in the Buffalo news said it best. Tom Donahoe said the team will not do anything to take a step back next year... going with Losman is better for the long run but the team will likely take a step back. I don't want to here Donahoe say we have to be patient since he's a young QB. He can't have it both ways.

I am kinda getting sick of people saying that JP is an unproven kid, or that he is injury prone. First of all, the former is obvious, the latter is bull sh--. 

The point is, we are pretty sure JP isn't gonna take us to the Super Bowl next year. We are all well aware of that.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we went 5-11 or 6-10. Although I feel our defense and ST could probably win us several by themselves.

But that being said, I promise to give the kid a chance. I will wait until AT LEAST week 8 before i make one comment about cutting him, beheading him, or equating him to Rob Johnson, or ANYTHING negative about him. I am going to give him a legitimate chance to prove himself. Should I break this promise, I will not post for a month. There.

239011[/snapback]

Let me condsense this: Nobody is worse than Bledsoe at QB, he sucks!  Let's put in a rookie and be happy with 5 wins instead of 9!!!!  :D  :doh:  :doh:  :blink:  HUH?!

CW

239097[/snapback]

I wont speak for anyone else, but your above statement does not apply to me. Yes, Bledsoe can get you 8 or 9 wins and maybe even sneak into the playoffs, but that's about as far as you are going with him. He would fall hard in the playoffs and the season would be over. I'm not going to be happy that the Bills may take a step back in 2005 with JP, but I think the chances of that happening are the same as the chances are that he could get us in the playoffs in 2005.

Lets say the Bills end up with 6 wins next year, but JP shows progress throughout the season. Is this any worse than an up and down offense led by DB that gets us to 8 or 9 wins? All this does is prolong the development of your QB of the future. So the Bills got 2 or 3 more wins with DB at QB...whoop de do! He is not getting better with age. It is time to move on. Oh by the way....JP will not be a rookie in 2005.

To those folks saying that the decision to go with JP is the wrong one...are you the same people over the last three years who when defending Bledsoe would say..."do you know more than TD & MM?".

If the Bills management and coaches go with JP over DB in 2005 and you have formed the opninion that this is a grave mistake, is it now okay for me to ask you...Do you know more than TD & MM?

To those folks saying that the decision to go with JP is the wrong one...are you the same people over the last three years who when defending Bledsoe would say..."do you know more than TD & MM?".

If the Bills management and coaches go with JP over DB in 2005 and you have formed the opninion that this is a grave mistake, is it now okay for me to ask you...Do you know more than TD & MM?

239596[/snapback]

I have always stated that Bills management knows more than I do. But if they come out and say the decision is not based on skill but rather on the need to get Losman some time in the system, I will be pissed. But if they say he is the best answer to win now, then I support the decision.

239596[/snapback]

Even though I never defended Bledsoe with that excuse (I was always of the "I'll worry about Bledsoe when the friggin' line starts blocking" milieu)...

...I know less than the Cinncinatti or San Diego brain trusts, and they chose Akili Smith and Ryan Leaf. :D

Just because they "know more", doesn't mean they're "right". I'd wager that for all their knowledge and experience, the Bills' front office's expectations of a highly touted young QB are no less a crap shoot than anyone's here.

I can promise you this. If JP decides to bail out and run more often than not and dive at players' ankles instead of sliding, he will not last more than 3 games next season. He needs to make a committment in the offseason to use his legs for buying extra time in the pocket, not take off every chance he gets. He should scramble when it's to the sidelines and for the 1st down marker. Even the greats like Vick and McNabb have publicly said that scrambling too much is very tough on the body and they both try to stay in the pocket more. Our coaching staff needs to train JP to be patient. His legs could buy him an extra 1.5 to 2 seconds in the pocket more than Bledsoe ever had.