Bills Trade Cassel to Cowboys

26CornerBlitz

They have QB coaches in the film room and on the sidelines, I'll never buy that argument. There are all kinds of "mentors" you can surround a player with that don't need a roster spot. If he needs another mentor, hire some recently retired QB to hang out with EJM.

You should take it up with David Lee, who's been singing Cassel's praises for how much he's helped the young QB's along.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should take it up with David Lee, who's been singing Cassel's praises for how much he's helped the young QB's along.

Yeah, well they were grasping for nice things to say about Cassel... "oh boy, you should see him in the film room!". David Lee didn't say "He is doing a great job, at a level that I just can't imagine anyone else achieving".

Sure Cassel has some usefulness, but that doesn't mean his "mentoring" role would be hard to replace. And I'm sure there are other ex-players out there that would take an Asst. QB Coach job.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Yeah, well they were grasping for nice things to say about Cassel... "oh boy, you should see him in the film room!". David Lee didn't say "He is doing a great job, at a level that I just can't imagine anyone else achieving". Sure Cassel has some usefulness, but that doesn't mean he is irreplaceable.

And I'm sure there are other ex-players out there that would take an Asst. QB Coach job.

Well we replaced him with David Vaughn. So that's a good step.

We'll see if this 5th round pick in two years is worth it.

Well we replaced him with David Vaughn. So that's a good step.

We'll see if this 5th round pick in two years is worth it.

Maybe you're overestimating Cassel's value as a player/QB. He was signed to be the disaster option in case TT and EJ failed. They didn't, they showed they were equally better or just plain better than him up to this point.

Maybe you're overestimating Cassel's value as a player/QB. He was signed to be the disaster option in case TT and EJ failed. They didn't, they showed they were equally better or just plain better than him up to this point.

Is that why we re-signed him as the #2 two weeks ago?

Which is more valuable to a franchise? A #2 QB that has extensive NFL starting experience and can thus work the practices and the games with the #1 QB who has very litttle starting experience while offering no long term value himself or a #2 QB who is showing signs of developing into the QB he was drafted to be and needs more experience within its offense and its weekly gameplans.

That's two different visions for the role. So, to say that Matt was the better QB for the first two weeks because EJ didn't dress is to ignore that there are different reasons a QB could be best suited to be #2. A short term one (for Tyrod's benefit) or a longer term one (who has more to offer should they become #1.)

Which is more valuable to a franchise? A #2 QB that has extensive NFL starting experience and can thus work the practices and the games with the #1 QB who has very litttle starting experience while offering no long term value himself or a #2 QB who is showing signs of developing into the QB he was drafted to be and needs more experience within its offense and its weekly gameplans.

That's two different visions for the role. So, to say that Matt was the better QB for the first two weeks because EJ didn't dress is to ignore that there are different reasons a QB could be best suited to be #2. A short term one (for Tyrod's benefit) or a longer term one (who has more to offer should they become #1.)

Or we could have both. And "win now."

I didn't like that interview.

EJ knows what his promotion means

With the trade of Matt Cassel to Dallas, EJ Manuel is now the team’s backup quarterback behind Tyrod Taylor. Manuel knows how the urgency of his role changes now being in the number two spot.

“For me, I’m in the second position now, I know I am one play away from getting back on the field,” Manuel said.

“I have to do my job as a backup now, be prepared and be ready to go if my number gets called any of these Sundays.”

Is that why we re-signed him as the #2 two weeks ago?

He was re-signed in the cheap, at his actual and current worth in the league, vet minimum. When they cut him they didn't seem to worried with EJ backing up TT.

With what transpired in the last two weeks, it was a shrewd move by Rogue Whaley.

Or we could have both. And "win now."

Gameweek practice can only accommodate getting 1 QB fully prepared to play and 1 QB to play, if needed, but without nearly as much preparation. You can't really have both at the same time. EJ was probably doing well with the scout team work and it could have helped him with decision making, throwing mechanics, use of time and space and overall accuracy but that was doing nothing to help him grow in Greg Roman's offense.

Gameweek practice can only accommodate getting 1 QB fully prepared to play and 1 QB to play, if needed, but without nearly as much preparation. You can't really have both at the same time. EJ was probably doing well with the scout team work and it could have helped him with decision making, throwing mechanics, use of time and space and overall accuracy but that was doing nothing to help him grow in Greg Roman's offense.

I'd say that sacrificing the benefits to our #1 QB so our #2 can practice a little more is a total mistake.

to be fair, it was after we cut him to let him test the market....

True. Then we signed him and made him #2 and saved some cap.

Edited by FireChan

NFN, and I know most of you guys will be doing this :doh:

But I just can't help but wonder if Cassel didn't get some info to the cheaters about the offensive & defensive game plans for Sunday. Brady never looked so dominate against a Rex Ryan defense, and they were really able to put the screws to the bills offense for three quarters.

I for one am darn glad he is in Dallas

why? I haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Well, I've only listened to it once, and it seems no else shares the take I had on it. I admit I may have taken it the wrong way, but it just wasn't the tone or demeanor I'm used to with EJ.

Well, I've only listened to it once, and it seems no else shares the take I had on it. I admit I may have taken it the wrong way, but it just wasn't the tone or demeanor I'm used to with EJ.

I agree, he did sound different. But IMHO in a good way. More business- and less wide-eyed-kid-like.

What I read is that the Bills and Cowboys switched 5th and 7th picks. So we moved a pick up two rounds. Well, OK, I can't get excited about that. But if TT or EJ get hurt I'll bet we're paying a higher price than that to get someone else here, who probably isn't even as average as Cassel.

Also I read that Cassel passed up more money to avoid moving to another team, that by staying with the Bills he was in a system he knew and could avoid moving with his 8 month pregnant wife. So now he ends up going to a new system and his wife is ready to give birth, while he's off in Texas. And he gets the smaller paycheck. OK, OK, he's still getting $2,000,000 for being a backup, not chump change, and that baby who's getting ready to be born won't have to eat stale Cheerios in the car seat. Still I feel a little sorry for Cassel, who's discovering what it feels like to be a $2M piece of meat.

Thank you for 'splainin' that Luthy, makes sense. In those terms, Cassel's worth = lower than whale **** in the bottom of the ocean.

This proves football is not the only thing you you nothing about; whale crap is full of nutrients and is essential for some parts of the ocean ecosystem.

I think he will move to Dallas . Hire a cute illegal nanny and housekeeper to help out his wife.

Orton walking away from big money is still a mystery to me.

Orton wanted the money as a backup player; when he realized he was going to be hit a lot as starter he determined he did not need the money after all.