Expect every defense to attack our offense like this...

BmarvB

Every defense the rest of the way are going to do this to the offense:

1) Keep Taylor as contained in the pocket as they can

2) Limit the running game and take away the tight ends.

3) Force Roman to call more passing plays to the receivers (he's not as good with utilizing the receivers as many may think - ask the 49ers).

4) Challenge TT to win the game with the long ball while challenging our O-line to hold up (they got exposed by the Patriots)

I still like our playoff chances though. We're still good once we beat Miami :thumbsup:

3) Force Roman to call more passing plays to the receivers (he's not as good with utilizing the receivers as many may think - ask the 49ers).

4) Challenge TT to win the game with the long ball while challenging our O-line to hold up (they got exposed by the Patriots)

I still like our playoff chances though. We're still good once we beat Miami :thumbsup:

Taylor needs to learn to run. I understand he wants to be known as a passer but i counted at least 6 times he could have ran for at lest 5 yards. When he starts to do that Defense will have to change plans.

Taylor needs to learn to run. I understand he wants to be known as a passer but i counted at least 6 times he could have ran for at lest 5 yards. When he starts to do that Defense will have to change plans.

He has shown he has the good sense to know when to go down or get out of bounds so he can get away with taking off at times. Doesn't have to do it a lot, just enough to make the defense account for him.

Are you sure about those 6 times and 5 yards? Typically when the D is stacking the box and stuffing the run, it's bad news for the QB to be running, also.

Taylor was the 2nd rusher on the team yesterday with 5 attempts for 43 yds.

Are you sure about those 6 times and 5 yards? Typically when the D is stacking the box and stuffing the run, it's bad news for the QB to be running, also.

Yes, i am sure. Taylor has what very few QB's have. elite speed. He needs to use is more. even if he has 3 or 4 more rush attempts and only gains an additional 15 yards. it still shows that teams will need to have a spy at all times.

Definitely. Or at least mirror this strategy to some effect. But if this is the playoff caliber team we all hope it to be and the brass keeps saying it is, then they will respond and won't show up the way they did yesterday. Look for this team to study what the Pats did and devise gameplans to pick it apart (audible deep throws, quick outs, slants, etc.), and for TT to grow in his position of seeing these packages and knowing when to audible out. In all honesty though, how we carry ourselves this week and respond going into Miami will be infinitely more telling about how this team will do this season than yesterday's performance will.

Yea, honestly with the stacked box yesterday TT showed tremendous growth by remaining a passer first. Anytime your QB rushes for 43 yards (more than the entire Eagles team yesterday, mind you) I wouldn't be concerned with his inclination to scramble. He knew when to keep drives alive with his feet and when to use his receivers after protection broke down. The Pats took his gameplan-changing-running out of the game when they went up by 20+ points.

Edited by ctk232

Yes, i am sure. Taylor has what very few QB's have. elite speed. He needs to use is more. even if he has 3 or 4 more rush attempts and only gains an additional 15 yards. it still shows that teams will need to have a spy at all times.

I totally agree with this. He can pass. He needs to stop trying to prove it to the media. If he runs, then they can't send everyone after him and will have to "keep some guys home,"...giving him more time in the pocket where he can use his mobility to extend the play. Think Big Ben circa 2005-2006. Started running, then was able to use his ability to extend plays.

They can try that. If Roman's got nothing to counter to it, we'll deserve to lose.

You don't mention the blueprint for beating our D shown by NE, but the question there is can other QB consistently throw like Brady did and not get picked for it.

They can try that. If Roman's got nothing to counter to it, we'll deserve to lose.

You don't mention the blueprint for beating our D shown by NE, but the question there is can other QB consistently throw like Brady did and not get picked for it.

Nope, they can't. Brady's on another level. He's got the Bills number just like Miami used to have it back in the 70's and most of the 80's

The line has to block better

TT has to get rid of the ball faster.

Keep pushing the run first mentality (the first possession was a work of art)

Defense needs a lot of work. They really looked awful. Now (I hate to admit this) Tom Brady is an awesome qb but the defense really lost its composure.

I think most DC's will look to contain Taylor in the pocket, force him to get to his 2nd and 3rd reads while making accurate throws.

Taylor was unable to make such reads and accurate throws yesterday and he'll have to from here on out in order to succeed in this league.

TT doesn't want to stay in the pocket. he was trying to escape a perfectly formed pocket on multiple occasions and ran himself right into the pressure. it makes sense, he's only 6 feet tall and he can't see over the 6 foot 5 OL. Russel Wilson has success moving the pocket because Pete Carroll actually calls waggle plays that allows them to shift the pocket and puts Wilson on the corner where he has the option to run or pass. we were calling strictly drop back passes so TT has to stay in the pocket and make quick decisions. if he wants to throw on the move then Roman has to call for those types of plays

TT needs a lot of work but I was good to see Roman finally utilizing Shady properly at times. Opening up to 3 WR 1 TE sets and Shady in the backfield. Sammy, Harvin, Woods, and Clay are all targets that command a level of attention. Sammy looks to command a double team or the attention of the oppositions best corner. Harvin, Woods, and Clay can all make good use of lesser matchups or Sammy getting doubled. Shady needs to be in those sorts of sets often. Karlos should be used as a ground and pound between the tackles option in certain situations.

Of course the O-line needs to play better but Taylor needs to get much more comfortable in the pocket, if not Roman needs to scheme the offense around that weakness a little more while slowly getting TT more comfortable in the pocket. The offense is a work in progress but if TT can progress and Roman can utilize the weapons and Shady then the Bills will put up points decently.

I think most DC's will look to contain Taylor in the pocket, force him to get to his 2nd and 3rd reads while making accurate throws.

Taylor was unable to make such reads and accurate throws yesterday and he'll have to from here on out in order to succeed in this league.

Taylor missed quite a few very open WR/TE yesterday. Clay being one of them. the All 22 will be very telling.

From time to time, roman will need to use the moving pocket keeping in mind TT is not the tallest among QB's. Granted it might take away a section of the field but he should be able to get the most from what he will have to work with since he'll have a better view of it on the move.

From time to time, roman will need to use the moving pocket keeping in mind TT is not the tallest among QB's. Granted it might take away a section of the field but he should be able to get the most from what he will have to work with since he'll have a better view of it on the move.

Yep, gonna need a few waggles & rollouts to keep him comfortable. Our O really should be a mix of Seattle (zone-read, waggles, rollouts, pass/run options) & New England's (quick slants and crossing routes, safety valves in the flats) based on our personnel imo.

Tyrod needs to practice throwing to the waist of the receiver and not the head. He's a natural thrower, but he's got the Vick passing disease right now, very often throwing too fast and too high. That leads to tipped INT's like what happened with Clay and Sammy, both sure-handed receivers but were unable to haul in those rising fastballs from Tyrod.

He has a nice touch on the longball and the screen passes. Needs to keep working on keeping the ball down the way Brady does.

Pats were sending bodies into the A gaps - while working wide on our tackles for contain. this brought pressure up the middle while cutting off escape routes. On our first drive, Taylor ran past the pressure. i don't remember seeing that again. It'll be interesting to see exactly how Roman responded in our next few series. Did he try to trap some of that inside pressure? i don't know.. i do recall him trying to get outside contain with a couple WR screens that got hammered.

i do know that i didn't see what i thought i would see.. some unbalanced jumbo formations, which i thought he used in situations like this to threaten the edge with size and numbers - forcing the Pats to pull that A gapping S or LB to help defend our strong side. i thought this could have neutralized the pressure on Tyrod - by running into our power, countering across the grain, and using run/pass options with both. the closest i saw to Jumbo, was when Mulligan drew an illegal from a straight TE formation..

there's a lot of work that needs to be done before facing Suh, and the fish.. we definitely have the personnel to force defenses to choose where and how they'll defend us.. but this game was like one big brain fart.

Taylor was confused yesterday. Lets see if he can learn from it.

that confusion started with his OC, after the first drive.. you don't learn anything in survival mode.. the coach has to settle things down and respond to the pressure his 'rookie' QB is getting. DCs borrow pieces to get 8 in the box, and that leaves them weak elsewhere. Roman ran more counter-measures in pre-season than i saw in this game. he failed his O the way Rex failed his D. not at all what many of us expected

Nope, they can't. Brady's on another level. He's got the Bills number just like Miami used to have it back in the 70's and most of the 80's

True. It's uncanny how many times Brady just hits his receivers right in the hands. They can't help but catch it. He's deadly quick and accurate getting the ball out. TT won't ever be that accurate standing in the pocket but he has the gift of speed, elusiveness and a great arm (with some nice touch on deep passes). If he takes some of the lessons learned from yesterday he can be really good. He tried to stand in there a few times yesterday and prove he could throw from the pocket....ended up taking unnecessary sacks. Look at what Seattle did with Wilson in the 2nd half last night. They started calling QB run plays...rolled him away from the pocket. All of a sudden Wilson couldn't be stopped. A defense can't really contain that when a QB has those kind of skills on the run.

that confusion started with his OC, after the first drive.. you don't learn anything in survival mode.. the coach has to settle things down and respond to the pressure his 'rookie' QB is getting. DCs borrow pieces to get 8 in the box, and that leaves them weak elsewhere. Roman ran more counter-measures in pre-season than i saw in this game. he failed his O the way Rex failed his D. not at all what many of us expected

It was so surprising how quickly it fell apart. Our first series on O and D were both stellar. Like, perfect. Then, I don't know what happened! Ol' Bill must've figured us out real quick, or we didn't stay true to our plans.

Edited by Big C

To me this starts with the penalties....WAAAAY too many penalties on offense

They

It was so surprising how quickly it fell apart. Our first series on O and D were both stellar. Like, perfect. Then, I don't know what happened! Ol' Bill must've figured us out real quick, or we didn't stay true to our plans.

We were outplayed, out smarted, out disciplined, and clearly outcoached by a better team this time. It's an early season learning experience that they'll recover from. It doesn't get any easier for them next week in Miami so they better learn fast and step up their game. They have to be much smarter all the way around.

Edited by BmarvB

i bet Belichick and his DC took a deep breath when Taylor broke that run on the first drive.. because if he was gonna be able to that with any consistency, their game plan had a major flaw. i'm thinking they reminded their inside 'pressure' to stay disciplined, and their scheme started working. how Roman didn't anticipate this, or have an adjustment ready. is strange. in his defense, maybe Belichick was ready for his adjustments without having to witness them get played out. i don't know.. but we looked unprepared - something i thought this team wouldn't be.

To me this starts with the penalties....WAAAAY too many penalties on offense

yep.. that plays into it, but i don't know if we had any drive killers in next three series - could be wrong.. just don't recall them being an issue with the O

edit - correction - other than that Mulligan play.. yikes, who does this kid know?

Edited by BackInDaDay

This is exactly right. Huge shift in philosophy from the scripted plays to the remainder of the game.

This is exactly right. Huge shift in philosophy from the scripted plays to the remainder of the game.

shocked we didn't see the power formations in there.. and what was up with the conversion calls? Kujo was healthy enough to spell Henderson early (and that's the first time i ever saw an ref pull a NFL player), and he and Mulligan were our unbalanced personnel all summer.. i was doubly surprised not to see Roman go unbalance right down there! especially with that jet sweep coming back to the left

that was Roman on the sideline, right?

Edited by BackInDaDay

shocked we didn't see the power formations in there.. and what was up with the conversion calls? Kujo was healthy enough to spell Henderson early (and that's the first time i ever saw an ref pull a NFL player), and he and Mulligan were our unbalanced personnel all summer.. i was doubly surprised not to see Roman go unbalance right down there! especially with that jet sweep coming back to the left

that was Roman on the sideline, right?

No idea. The 2-point calls looked like they didn't trust either Taylor or the OL.

Tyrod needs to practice throwing to the waist of the receiver and not the head. He's a natural thrower, but he's got the Vick passing disease right now, very often throwing too fast and too high. That leads to tipped INT's like what happened with Clay and Sammy, both sure-handed receivers but were unable to haul in those rising fastballs from Tyrod.

He has a nice touch on the longball and the screen passes. Needs to keep working on keeping the ball down the way Brady does.

good post.

There was something wrong with the game plan on offense. When a defense is crowding the line of scrimmage, the perfect offensive game plan is to pass. Typically, you want to back them off, by going over them. When they have been beaten by intermediate/long passes, they know they cannot continue to crowd the line. Getting sacked 7-8 times in a game is going to get the QB killed. Rex wants to run first to set up the run. Sometimes you have to pass first to set up the run. Surprised we scored 32pts to be honest.

The defense, had issues too. I think the mistakes made during this game are correctable. They need to learn and then apply it on the field. Going to be a fun season watching these guys put it together.

Edited by Rockinon

I was wondering all game why no one was jumping those 8 yard outs? I realize there is a risk you get burned deep but at some point you have to realize they are achieving the same thing with the low risk patterns.

I don't think any DCs needed NE to point out to them that stacking the box against McCoy and short passes is the sensible strategy against a first time starting QB. And hopefully the Bills' coaching staff is building their game plans anticipating that approach.

I don't think any DCs needed NE to point out to them that stacking the box against McCoy and short passes is the sensible strategy against a first time starting QB. And hopefully the Bills' coaching staff is building their game plans anticipating that approach.

Watkins needs to be a bigger part of the gameplan. He's the best player on the offense, and so far he's been a secondary player. If Atlanta can get the ball to Julio Jones and Manning can get it to OBJ, there have to be ways to get it to Watkins. That's on Roman.

Watkins needs to be a bigger part of the gameplan. He's the best player on the offense, and so far he's been a secondary player. If Atlanta can get the ball to Julio Jones and Manning can get it to OBJ, there have to be ways to get it to Watkins. That's on Roman.

It doesn't appear that Watkins and Taylor are completely comfortable with each others game yet. With Watkins missing so much of training camp recovering from hip surgery, and the 3 way competition for QB, they really haven't had a lot of time working together yet. It may take till mid season before they're completely comfortable knowing what the other will do in a given situation. Seems like Harvin has the most chemistry with Taylor at this point.