I think Peyton Manning is done

Fan in Chicago

At the end of last season, I saw a couple of Peyton Manning games and started thinking that this guy looks spent. I even thought and wanted him to retire so that he can go out on a semi-high. However, he (and the Broncos?) made a decision that he will play this season. Again, this Sunday, I saw Manning as looking very very average. His throws lacked zip, accuracy was middling. The O gameplan is conservative to cover up his seriously declined arm strength. If this is how he is throwing in the first game of the season, I shudder to think how excruciating it will be to watch him in November and December. This article also in the in same vein and really think he should have hung it up. There is no glory in stumbling towards the finish line, a sad shadow of what he once was.

Thoughts ?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/peyton-manning-picked-up-where-he-left-off-%E2%80%94-looking-very-very-old/ar-AAefY95?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=mailsignout

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think he's at the end of the road. I wanted to believe it was just the quad injury last year, but his arm looked shot on Sunday. I could still see him leading his team into the playoffs as a game manager because he still understands how to play the position as well as anyone, but it doesn't look like he's got the arm to pick apart teams like he did in the past.

At the end of last season, I saw a couple of Peyton Manning games and started thinking that this guy looks spent. I even thought and wanted him to retire so that he can go out on a semi-high. However, he (and the Broncos?) made a decision that he will play this season. Again, this Sunday, I saw Manning as looking very very average. His throws lacked zip, accuracy was middling. The O gameplan is conservative to cover up his seriously declined arm strength. If this is how he is throwing in the first game of the season, I shudder to think how excruciating it will be to watch him in November and December. This article also in the in same vein and really think he should have hung it up. There is no glory in stumbling towards the finish line, a sad shadow of what he once was.

Thoughts ?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/peyton-manning-picked-up-where-he-left-off-%E2%80%94-looking-very-very-old/ar-AAefY95?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=mailsignout

He has certainly declined, but in many ways he remains an above average QB. He is certainly still better than Brock Osweiler.

I don't see how he survives the season. That line is terrible, the running game wasn't there like they hoped against Baltimore and he's going to get "Arthur Moats"'d at some point this season.

The real question - does he catch Favre for all time yards? He needs 1,972. If he can average 283 (seems like a tall task after Sunday) he'll break the record in Indy.

He has certainly declined, but in many ways he remains an above average QB. He is certainly still better than Brock Osweiler.

From the neck up, I agree, nobody is better. But it seems clear to me that he can't win games with his arm and sooner or later teams are gonna staçk the box and dare him to do just that and I think he is gonna take a pounding as a result.

I have never seen him hit as many times in 18 years as I've seen him his last half dozen games or so.

I think Kubiak is gonna be faced with a hard decision soon.

GO BILLS!!!

Peyton is done. But Brady, a year and five months younger, still looks and plays like a man in his prime. Just good genes and clean living, I guess. <_<

Manning was drafted in 1998. He started right away and has sat out 2011 with injury. So he had 16 seasons as starting QB prior to this year.

Brady was drafted in 2000. He started in 2001 and has sat out 2008 with injury. So he had 13 seasons as starting QB, prior to this year.

So Manning has 3 more seasons of sacks, hits, and hurries than Brady.

That would mean we better solve Tom Brady 'cuz he might be around for 3 or 4 more g#@@$#! years.

I think this will most likely be Peyton's last year. I could see him pulling a Farve if he has a half way decent year and trying to go to a good team in desperate need of a half way decent QB for one last ride. But if he can't be an effective QB anymore then I think Denver with a rising defense and a young QB in the wings will dump Peyton's huge cap hit to further add and retain talent and give Brock a shot.

However if Peyton turns in a good season it's going to be interesting. Denver will likely want to resign Brock to a modest short term deal to take over as the starter if Manning looks spent. But if Manning still looks like a top 10 QB then it will be very interesting to see if the Broncos try and go for it another season with Manning and let Brock walk, or do they still let Peyton walk and take their chances on a much younger but unproven QB.

Edited by billsfan89