Report: Fred had deal in place with Steelers in March

YoloinOhio

I am now officially vindicated.

When I reported I had a source with the Bills back then telling me Jackson was getting released he was telling the truth, although many accused me of being full of crap once it didn't happen.

If Whaley thought it was best - I'm 100% behind it. I owe Fred Jackson nothing. I gave him my support, bought some items with his namesake on them, I appreciate his story and enjoyed how he played the game.

Then he gets cut and turns on the GM of my team? He knew it would cause a problem and he didn't care because he was mad. Did he apologize for causing a problem between the fans and Whaley?

to me it sounds like Whaley really didn't know. He was going to release him in March, pegula stepped in. At that point no one knew what the future would hold. A lot can change in the NFL in 6 months. He didn't know they would get karlos or any RB in the draft and that he would play his way to the #2 spot, or that all the RBs would get out of TC healthy. Fred should have known that he didn't lie... But rather things can change. What is true in March can look different in September after the draft, OTAs, and TC. And the responsibility of Whaley is to the team/organization. Not to make sure he can go to a closer city.

That's right! Well said. Fred should not feel slighted - got a sweet contract then was injured for some of it. Next an up, best player plays, salary gets cut...the rest is whining.

then Fred would still be on the team. Whaley knew he was going to release him. don't tell him he will be on the team then cut him after training camp

What Whaley said at the time in public (press conference):

Transcript of Whaley press conference 3/11/2015

Q: What kind of role do you see Fred Jackson having for the Bills next season?

That is going to be up to how the coaches see him and it is an open competition for every role. He may win the job. I can’t say that. That is the beauty of football and the beauty of competition. It brings out the best in everybody. It also creates depth for us.

Q: Did you ever have the intention of cutting Fred Jackson?

No.

The "cutting"? "No" part sounds disingenuous if Fred were told "you have permission to negotiate with other teams".

But the "tell him you'll be on the team"? C'mon man. Everyone on the team knows there is competition, no one's job is safe. Things change, one player comes into training camp and wows the coaches, finds a spot on the team. Another fails to impress or gets injured, Snip goes the Turk

Edited by Hopeful

What Whaley said at the time in public (press conference):

Transcript of Whaley press conference 3/11/2015

Q: What kind of role do you see Fred Jackson having for the Bills next season?

That is going to be up to how the coaches see him and it is an open competition for every role. He may win the job. I cant say that. That is the beauty of football and the beauty of competition. It brings out the best in everybody. It also creates depth for us.

Q: Did you ever have the intention of cutting Fred Jackson?

No.

The "cutting"? "No" part sounds disingenuous if Fred were told "you have permission to negotiate with other teams".

But the "tell him you'll be on the team"? C'mon man. Everyone on the team knows there is competition, no one's job is safe. Things change, one player comes into training camp and wows the coaches, finds a spot on the team. Another fails to impress or gets injured, Snip goes the Turk

you would just cut him without him shopping himself if the goal was to cut him

It seems like in March the goal was "take a pay cut or be cut and we will let you see we are right with our evaluation by shopping yourself" or "go find a trade".

I Love Pegs, but this is why owners should stay out of football matters they have no business meddling with

Whatever. He got involved so fans like you wouldn't complain about cutting a player they love - then you want to criticize him for meddling in a business he owns?

People need to stop believing everything you read. Who knows if this is actually true or not. There were a bunch of stories this off season that weren't true or not. Whaley going rogue to Mccoy have a hamstring tear, to god knows what else.

When you have a rookie that can play just as good as Fred Jackson the choice is easy. One guy has a arrow pointing up. The other will be out of the league this year or the next.

Whatever. He got involved so fans like you wouldn't complain about cutting a player they love - then you want to criticize him for meddling in a business he owns?

I was not one of the fans that complained when they cut Fred, but nice try, I thought at the time it was stupid to butt in to keep a player to appease a portion of the fan base. When you start making personnel decisions based on fan reaction it is not good business

I was not one of the fans that complained when they cut Fred, but nice try, I thought at the time it was stupid to butt in to keep a player to appease a portion of the fan base. When you start making personnel decisions based on fan reaction it is not good business

So you don't think he has a right to step in at moments he feels his intervention is needed? Who should be the person to tell him not to get involved? You? Haha, talk about nice try. Grown up bro - he owns the team and can ultimately do whatever he wants.

While I'm not happy about Fred's release at all and may never fully forgive DW, it may have gone down like this...

The BIlls sign Shady. With so much money tied up there, and other good cheap backs on the roster, Whaley decides to talk to Fred about him not making the roster.

The Pegulas nix the cut when Whaley informs them. Whaley, based on what he now heard from the Pegulas, tells Fred he's going to stay a Bills after all.

Whaley realizes that resigning Dareous (and others) is going to be difficult/impossible without some serious penny-pinching. He revisits the idea of cutting Fred with the Pegulas. This time he persuades them.

From Fred's point of view, Whaley is a liar. But DW may have never actually intentionally lied to Fred.

P.S. Today I'll be watching the game with the Bills Backers of Seattle wearing my #22 jersey.

I agree with most of this I would say that Whaley should have discussed the cutting of Fred with the Pegulas in march before discussing it with Fred.

While I understand the sentiment "the owner shouldn't meddle" it is their team and sometime emotional items may play a role in keeping a player or not and if it is all about money or keeping a player there is a better way to handle it than the way it transpired.

Anyhow, Fred is in a good place and hopefully sees the Playoffs this year,

IMO, still just a bad decision by Whaley to cut Fred Jackson.

I like all the other RB's.....including Bryce Brown.......but this is team is built to win now and Jackson can do a combination of things that the other 3 active RB's can't offer all in one package.

Fans got a real good look at what McCoy brings to the table.......lots of negative plays and a few big plays.......and also got to see the graphic that McCoy had the lowest production per touch(only 4.3 yards per touch) of any player in the NFL with 250 or more touches last season.

Hopefully cutting Fred doesn't bite them but I'm skeptical.

Edited by #BADOL

IMO, still just a bad decision by Whaley to cut Fred Jackson.

I like all the other RB's.....including Bryce Brown.......but this is team is built to win now and Jackson can do a combination of things that the other 3 active RB's can't offer all in one package.

Fans got a real good look at what McCoy brings to the table.......lots of negative plays and a few big plays.......and also got to see the graphic that McCoy had the lowest production per touch(only 4.3 yards per touch) of any player in the NFL with 250 or more touches last season.

Hopefully cutting Fred doesn't bite them but I'm skeptical.

Its not a Fred:McCoy comparison since Fred was never going to be the #1 RB. One could even argue that it isnt a Fred:Karlos comparison since he was most likely going to end up the #3 or eve #4. And how much time did Brown see yesterday?

Given that, the one thing Fred would not have been able to do is break out that TD scamper like Karlos did. Not on those old legs at least.

Love Freddie, but Freddie is gone.

I agree with most of this I would say that Whaley should have discussed the cutting of Fred with the Pegulas in march before discussing it with Fred.

How do we know that Whaley didn't discuss cutting Fred with the Pegulas before giving Fred permission to act as a FA?

I can see now this won't be put to rest any time soon, but there's just so much gossip and conjecture here.

How do we know that Whaley didn't discuss cutting Fred with the Pegulas before giving Fred permission to act as a FA?

I can see now this won't be put to rest any time soon, but there's just so much gossip and conjecture here.

ill post again as no one seemed to catch it (or at least address it)

if allowing fred to shop himself, that would imply a trade, or pay cut being negotiated - not a straight cut, right?

i mean if cutting him you would just do it, and THAT would grant him all the permission in the world to shop himself.

sounds like theres still another layer to uncover, if this report is true.

Its not a Fred:McCoy comparison since Fred was never going to be the #1 RB. One could even argue that it isnt a Fred:Karlos comparison since he was most likely going to end up the #3 or eve #4. And how much time did Brown see yesterday?

Given that, the one thing Fred would not have been able to do is break out that TD scamper like Karlos did. Not on those old legs at least.

Love Freddie, but Freddie is gone.

Oh he definitely could have served a very important purpose for this team, especially in short yardage and on third downs like the one where Karlos failed to engage his blitzer that nearly resulted in a turnover.

Keep in mind that I've been touting the ascending roster of the Bills have for going on 4 years now.........I am aware they have a lot of talent beyond Fred Jackson.

I know a lot of people see this as a stepping stone season, hoping to advance to the playoffs.

But the "just make the playoffs" year was Marrone year one....two years ago.....this year is an opportunity to turn superior talent into a championship season.

They are far from decimated without him but running a gauntlet of a schedule like the Bills have....trying to position themselves for playoff seeding.....smart, resilient players like Fred are big in close games.