5 Reasons why College Football is better than the NFL

YoloinOhio

When a college team cheats, they actually get a fitting punishment.

For these reasons, college football takes an edge over the NFL. However I just can't get into the college game. I think I have some deep rooted hatred for schools pouring millions of dollars into their sports programs, only to charge students thousands of dollars to attend the school. Yes, the big schools make the money from sponsors. The smaller schools? Basically robbing their students.

I agree on the pass interference penalties. I'd make them yardage rather than spot of the foul. The rest? Not so much. As one of those guys who appreciates the intricacies on defense much more I find that college defense are served in one flavour and it is a sour tasting vanilla. If you want to see creative offense and points then sure watch College Football. I don't. I want to see a fair battle between O and D.

Oh they do have a point about the NFL talking about and making stories from nonsense... but that is pro sport now. It is the same with Premier League Soccer over here.

I am watching college football much more these days but it still is a distant second to the NFL for me.

Back when we had the looming threat of the Bills leaving Buffalo hanging over our heads, I always used to say that the second they moved I'd be done with the NFL and just watch college football. That's still how I feel about college vs NFL today. And for the most part, the author did a good job at covering my reasons. Especially numbers 5, 2, and 1.

For these reasons, college football takes an edge over the NFL. However I just can't get into the college game. I think I have some deep rooted hatred for schools pouring millions of dollars into their sports programs, only to charge students thousands of dollars to attend the school. Yes, the big schools make the money from sponsors. The smaller schools? Basically robbing their students.

The schools dont pour millions of dollars into the sports programs. They take millions of dollars from the big sports, and use them to fund the educational part. Build new labs, fund research, pay professors, etc. They also make way more from alumni donations than from commercial sponsors.

Schools charge so much for tuition in an effort to gouge that money out of the US government in the form of federal student aid/loans.

Sports programs arent what causes schools to rob their students. If anything, the sports fund the educational facilities.

I agree on the pass interference penalties. I'd make them yardage rather than spot of the foul.

I disagree. I think spot of the foul makes more sense. If it's a 40 yard pass and I am the defender I am going to tackle the receiver because a 15 yard penalty is preferable to a 40 yard completion. OTOH, I would get rid of the automatic first down. If the spot of the foul isn't enough for a first down so be it.

Atleast in Pro's every game both teams have a chance, and play level isnt way out of purportion outside of 2 or 3 games a year for each team. The whole school/coach making a fortune and players getting didly doesnt do much for me either. Personally, avoid watching college unless really, really, really bored.

I disagree with a lot of this. Even though I think the NFL is over corporatized and has turned into a greedy money grab, the games are better IMHO.

I don't like the PI rule because DBs would just tackle WRs past 15 yards.

The overtime rule is just silly.

There is no such thing as "On any given Saturday". The level of competition is so vast. Bad teams rent themselves out as Designated Whipping Boys the first month of the season. Notice that Ohio State never plays South Eastern North Dakota State on the road.

I hate replay review and in college they review so much more. Whenever they feel like it.

The uniforms are ridiculous.

The total amount of money that they haul in and then claim to be student athletes playing for the love of the game is silly. At least the NFL calls themselves a Pro League.

I watch it some because, technically, it is football. But it is a distant second to NFL football IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz

I disagree with a lot of this. Even though I think the NFL is over corporatized and has turned into a greedy money grab, the games are better IMHO.

I don't like the PI rule because DBs would just tackle WRs past 15 yards.

The overtime rule is just silly.

There is no such thing as "On any given Saturday". The level of competition is so vast. Bad teams rent themselves out as Designated Whipping Boys the first month of the season. Notice that Ohio State never plays South Eastern North Dakota State on the road.

I hate replay review and in college they review so much more. Whenever they feel like it.

The uniforms are ridiculous.

The total amount of money that they haul in and then claim to be student athletes playing for the love of the game is silly. At least the NFL calls themselves a Pro League.

I watch it some because, technically, it is football. But it is a distant second to NFL football IMHO.

michigan state played at Western Michigan last week. Baylor went to UB last year. It's not common but it does happen sometimes.

What bothers me is that the teams from the south won't play up north. Wisconsin had a home and home with Bama. Bama was supposed to play them at Lambeau this year and refused so they ended up at Jerry World. I would love to see one of the SEC teams go play at Minnesota in -20 degrees and snow.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Disagree with a lot of this. Anyone can easily ignore fantasy football---it has nothing to do with just watching the game if you want to. As for the drama involved with nonfootball issue, that's an indication pf the passion Americans have for their team and animus for the teams they despise. COntrast that with the hundreds of college teams. I agree with the PI penalty. College football is far far dirtier than the NFL--it's not even close. The coaches are soul-less creatures running factories at post high school playgrounds/daycare centers.

When a college team cheats, they actually get a fitting punishment.

Not a chance. When I was at Texas, during the Championship year, I'd be at parties with future NFL players where they'd be doing drugs and openly admit they knew they had a random drug test the next day, but didn't care because they wouldn't get caught. One guy, from a poor background, gave me a few rides in his brand new Escalade.

Cheating in college football is rampant and hardly ever enforced.

Edited by BlueFire

1. College football isn't just a quarterback sport.

This! This! And more this! It gets irritating seeing teams like, well, Buffalo struggle for years to get competitive because we can't seems to find that right QB only to see a team like the Colts get the first pick in a year when a rare sure-fire QB comes out. Now only because of that one QB pick they are SB contenders while we are still fighting to become relevant.

I have been beating the drum of PI as just a yardage penalty forever. Works well in college, without the parade of horribles everyone always imagines (eg, guys getting dragged down 40 yards down field).

Ridiculous how many bad PI calls in the NFL change the game.

I think the counter argument to this is the disincentive to commit PI in critical situations diminishes significantly. If you think he's going to catch a 40 yard pass, nail his ass every time. Promotes injuries which puts the NFL in a bad situation with everything going on. The skill level is MUCH closer in the NFL than College so I think it would happen in significantly more situations.

Edited by BlueFire