Do you think our defense will be better or worse this year?

Rubes

Like many, I was excited when they brought Rex in as HC, since that meant we'd very likely continue with the trend the last couple of years of outstanding defense, and perhaps even get better.

Although the defense will be similar to what we had with Pettine, that defense had some definite weaknesses. Last year's defense with Schwartz was solid, but Rex's system is a bit different, putting more pressure on the DBs, so the results may not be the same.

There's a lot of talk from the Bills that they are expecting great things from this defense, and they expect to be #1 overall. On the cusp of the season, I'm interested to hear if people think we'll actually improve compared to last year, or not. Obviously there are many different measures that could be used, but taking all of those measures into account, what is your sense of how the defense will perform this year?

Personally, I expect some really good things, but I'm worried about our CBs not holding up in this system. I think the first quarter of the season may be less than stellar for the defense, but with improvement as the year goes on. I'm sure it's the cynic in me, and I don't have a lot of solid evidence to base this on, but I'm not really expecting a top 5 defense this year. I think they could be...but my concern about our DBs in general makes me doubt it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with being as solid as they were last year (if you want to call top 5 solid) is that if you dont maintain the exact same statistics it got worse......

This is what I expect from this defense

- Our run D is going to be more solid then people expect.....because people look at Pettine's D and how horrible it was against the run. While Pettine was Rex protoge.......Rex Ryan run D's have been historically good.

- I anticipate exotic blitz much more then Schwartz.....which will create two things......more big plays against.....and more turnovers created by our D....will those things balance out? I am not sure.

When the smoke clears I anticipate us being overall where we were last year......but I ALSO expect things to not fall part in games like they did the Raiders game if we lose a player. THAT was the weakness in the Schwartz defense.

We'll know after the first two games, facing the two best AFC QB's (with apologies to Payton Manning, Ben Rapelisberger, and Joe Flacco). It's 50/50 either way. Darby will make plays and get schooled, hopefully Ayayron can help him out. But that leaves Manny on Gronk or Chandler, so I see a big TE day when the Cheats roll in. D should be nails against the run, so can we generate enough pass rush and contain the receivers? I just don't know. Gonna be interesting to watch.

Like many, I was excited when they brought Rex in as HC, since that meant we'd very likely continue with the trend the last couple of years of outstanding defense, and perhaps even get better.

Although the defense will be similar to what we had with Pettine, that defense had some definite weaknesses. Last year's defense with Schwartz was solid, but Rex's system is a bit different, putting more pressure on the DBs, so the results may not be the same.

There's a lot of talk from the Bills that they are expecting great things from this defense, and they expect to be #1 overall. On the cusp of the season, I'm interested to hear if people think we'll actually improve compared to last year, or not. Obviously there are many different measures that could be used, but taking all of those measures into account, what is your sense of how the defense will perform this year?

Personally, I expect some really good things, but I'm worried about our CBs not holding up in this system. I think the first quarter of the season may be less than stellar for the defense, but with improvement as the year goes on. I'm sure it's the cynic in me, and I don't have a lot of solid evidence to base this on, but I'm not really expecting a top 5 defense this year. I think they could be...but my concern about our DBs in general makes me doubt it.

Good topic and I'm sure there will be a lot of different opinions on this.

Rex is a brilliant defensive coach, not just a good defensive coach -- he's at the top of the NFL pyramid along with Belicheat. People rag on him for how poorly the Jets finished last year but most forget they didn't have an NFL caliber CB on the roster and yet they still finished in the top 10 as a defense. That's what great coaching can do. There have been a few good pieces recently about Rex's system and how he really doesn't have one system at all. It's really an amorphous system, capable of changing week to week and based on available personnel. Because of that I'm not as down on our DBs as you are, though I understand where you're coming from. I'm certainly not as high on this defense when Leodis and Dareus (who makes our DBs better by extension) aren't in the starting lineup, but I do think Rex's track record of being able to adapt scheme around his personnel will help.

Overall, even with Leodis being out for a month or two of the season, I expect the Bills to still field a top 3 defense. I'll be disappointed if that's not the case because there is so much talent on that side of the ball. Even if you take Rex out of the equation, just having Mario, Kyle, Dareus, and Jerry together for another year can't be overstated. That kind of continuity along the front, regardless of coaching, is going to make the defense formidable.

Obviously there are many different measures that could be used, but taking all of those measures into account, what is your sense of how the defense will perform this year?

I think they'll be good but maybe not do as well statistically. The high risk / high reward nature of Rex's scheme will open them up to big play's.

Then again, outside of Luck, Brady, Eli, Romo and possibly Tannehill, the QBs they'll face aren't that scary...

Two schools of thought with regard to the defense:

1. Rex's approach: As a newly hired coach, you bring your defensive system in, watch last year's film to see what strengths and weaknesses your current roster has, put your order in with the GM for the types of players you need to acquire in the draft and free agency, and run with what you know, hoping the players pick it up and thrive in your system.

2. The personnel approach: Play the type of defense that matches up with your current roster, pick the best players available in the draft, and run with that.

The Rex approach has me a little worried because we're going against two of the best passers in the league these next two weeks, and I would feel a whole lot better playing cover 2 to help our corners, and letting our awesome front four bring the heat. Maybe that's what we'll do anyway, because it plays to our strengths. I would hold off on blitzing Luck until you see that our Dline isn't getting to him in time to disrupt his rhythm.

Trying to run a 46 type D with Darby alone on TY or Andre Johnson seems ridiculous. The kid is simply not ready for that, no matter what Rex is saying to the press.

My answer to the OP is I think we will be worse until Leodis comes back

What was our rank against the run last year?

On espn.com

11 Buffalo 414 1703 4.1 47 10 106.4 6

And the Jets under Rex against the Run where

5 NY Jets 393 1489 3.8 97 10 93.1 5

The Jets were ranked 5th against the Run in Total Yards while the Bills were at 11. Almost, all stats are equal.

It's going to be interesting to see almost the exact same personnel as last year being used in very different ways. It should be very exciting to watch. But, I remain concerned about our secondary, and I question the decision to move Corey Graham to S, and starting Darby at CB.

If the offense can move the ball as well as they did in preseason (big IF) then there will be times when the Bills have a big lead on other teams and will force teams to become one dimensional. If that happens, then this defense is going to look better than they did last year. And they will become a turnover generating machine.

If the offense doesn't move the ball well and doesn't score, then I think this defense will look a little worse than last year. I just don't see how its possible to get that kind of performance out of your d-line starters in back to back years.

I didn't think the defense would get better under Schwartz though, and it did. So, maybe this year will be even better. I would be pleasantly surprised if it turns out that way.

I'm glad you brought this topic up. I'm worried about it. I keep hearing about how Rex will help Darby with a safety once the season starts and he's just testing him now. Teams will overload his side so the safety will be occupied and Darby will have to be one on one in some situations. I'm hoping Graham will play corner until Leodis comes back. Brooks isn't great but he's been in the league about 3 years now and doesn't draw all the PI penalties.

Worse but only marginally. The loss of Searcy is something that will be looked at as bigger than the team tought. Graham will play well but with McKelvin out and Darby a question mark the secondary could be hurting. The front 7 will still be a great unit and the back end of the secondary will be good and Gilmore should be a very good number 1, but beyond that who knows.