Do you think our defense will be better or worse this year?

Rubes

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our defense won't be as good as people think and our offense will be better than anticipated. Still expect a top 10 D but don't think top 5. They'll give up some big plays when Rex brings the house and I'm a bit concerned about our secondary. I really liked the D last year with Schwartz just rushing 4 because we can still get good QB pressure with stud line and not leave corners out to dry.

The defense should be great. They have elite players at every position on the D-Line, great D-line depth, very good young linebackers, and good safeties and Gilmore. Now Darby will have his ups and downs but he can be helped, if need be.

I also hated how our D played against San Diego and NE first game last year. We got picked apart and I don't see Rex letting Brady get comfortable. I would rather go down attacking than sitting back and hoping mistakes are made. Both prevent and pressure schemes can work. Let's enjoy the pressure. I know I loved watching Pettine coach here. I imagine Rex will be even more fun.

Like many, I was excited when they brought Rex in as HC, since that meant we'd very likely continue with the trend the last couple of years of outstanding defense, and perhaps even get better.

Although the defense will be similar to what we had with Pettine, that defense had some definite weaknesses. Last year's defense with Schwartz was solid, but Rex's system is a bit different, putting more pressure on the DBs, so the results may not be the same.

There's a lot of talk from the Bills that they are expecting great things from this defense, and they expect to be #1 overall. On the cusp of the season, I'm interested to hear if people think we'll actually improve compared to last year, or not. Obviously there are many different measures that could be used, but taking all of those measures into account, what is your sense of how the defense will perform this year?

Personally, I expect some really good things, but I'm worried about our CBs not holding up in this system. I think the first quarter of the season may be less than stellar for the defense, but with improvement as the year goes on. I'm sure it's the cynic in me, and I don't have a lot of solid evidence to base this on, but I'm not really expecting a top 5 defense this year. I think they could be...but my concern about our DBs in general makes me doubt it.

This is a really great topic that worries the bejebus out of me because Rex likes to leave his DB's on an island. Stating that about the only guy on the roster capable of being an island and playing well is Gilmore, and should he get injured at any point things could really go badly this year.

Rex Ryan is a decent head coach, and above average DC. But what he isn't is another Pete Carroll, as Carroll has shown that he drafts a certain type of player, and then molds / develops them to fit his system. Kam Chancellor 5th round- Richard Sherman 5th round are prime examples. http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/31/super-bowl-48-richard-sherman-pete-carroll

Ryan inherited Derrelle Revis from Eric Manginni, and Revis made the pro bowl before Ryan took over as the Jets HC, and so did Shaun Ellis. A lot of the players that made that 2009 Jets defense #1 in the league were already on the team when Ryan got there. David Harris, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Kerry Rhodes. Granted Ryan added other players like Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, and made that defense great with his scheme he ran in Baltimore. Interesting note that Mike Pettine was his DC 2009-2012.

While I think the Bills have the best starting front four in the league I'm not as confidant in the LBers, and secondary this season. As others have pointed out the Bills start the season against Andrew Luck, and then Tom Brady. Then at Miami, and the NY Giants with Odell Beckham Jr.

I think the 2015 Bills defense against the run will be greatly improved, and the defense against the pass could come under fire early. Gonna be tough to equal Schwartz numbers in both #4 in yards #4 in points IMO.

Anyway, should the team get a shot at a playoff berth this year I sure hope they play a hella lot better then they did last year against a crappy 2-14 Raider team.

I think worse because of the secondary. I really hope rex takes a lot of things Schwartz did because I can't see our secondary holding up with all his exotic blitzes

The Jets secondary last year was worse than our starting DBs.

On espn.com

11 Buffalo 414 1703 4.1 47 10 106.4 6

And the Jets under Rex against the Run where

5 NY Jets 393 1489 3.8 97 10 93.1 5

The Jets were ranked 5th against the Run in Total Yards while the Bills were at 11. Almost, all stats are equal.

And the Pass defense....Obviously the Bills did better and probably because of better talent at the DB position as compared to the Jets.

14 NY Jets 538 345 64.1 3746 7.5 87 31 6 45 310 101.5 234

3 Buffalo 559 337 60.3 3292 6.4 56 16 19 54 308 74.5 206

This is a really great topic that worries the bejebus out of me because Rex likes to leave his DB's on an island. Stating that about the only guy on the roster capable of being an island and playing well is Gilmore, and should he get injured at any point things could really go badly this year.

Rex Ryan is a decent head coach, and above average DC. But what he isn't is another Pete Carroll, as Carroll has shown that he drafts a certain type of player, and then molds / develops them to fit his system. Kam Chancellor 5th round- Richard Sherman 5th round are prime examples. http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/31/super-bowl-48-richard-sherman-pete-carroll

Ryan inherited Derrelle Revis from Eric Manginni, and Revis made the pro bowl before Ryan took over as the Jets HC, and so did Shaun Ellis. A lot of the players that made that 2009 Jets defense #1 in the league were already on the team when Ryan got there. David Harris, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Kerry Rhodes. Granted Ryan added other players like Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, and made that defense great with his scheme he ran in Baltimore. Interesting note that Mike Pettine was his DC 2009-2012.

While I think the Bills have the best starting front four in the league I'm not as confidant in the LBers, and secondary this season. As others have pointed out the Bills start the season against Andrew Luck, and then Tom Brady. Then at Miami, and the NY Giants with Odell Beckham Jr.

I think the 2015 Bills defense against the run will be greatly improved, and the defense against the pass could come under fire early. Gonna be tough to equal Schwartz numbers in both #4 in yards #4 in points IMO.

Anyway, should the team get a shot at a playoff berth this year I sure hope they play a hella lot better then they did last year against a crappy 2-14 Raider team.

If our offense can improve the points scored this season compared to last year, we will possibly win more games than last year. The addition to strengthen the OL, adding talent at the TE position and the running back position and most important of all, having a genuine Offensive Coordinator in place should help get us there.

Don't judge it after game 1; it will be a shoot out.

Chances are it will be. I get the feeling though that it could be a runaway. Only because I think Indy, as a whole, is soft. The crowd will be hyped and if the Bills get up early -- or if Luck makes an early mistake which he's prone to do -- it could get ugly. I don't think Gore will have much success and a one dimensional Luck is pretty good (good enough to beat you) but not better than this defense... I hope.

Chances are it will be. I get the feeling though that it could be a runaway. Only because I think Indy, as a whole, is soft. The crowd will be hyped and if the Bills get up early -- or if Luck makes an early mistake which he's prone to do -- it could get ugly. I don't think Gore will have much success and a one dimensional Luck is pretty good (good enough to beat you) but not better than this defense... I hope.

The Bills should be able to win the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Luck will get his yards. We need to limit the TD's scored and get a few turnovers.

Pretty much the same.

IMO they blitzed less in 2014 and due to that the sack #'s dropped slightly.

The backfield may be an issue until Darby steps up or is replaced and McLovin on IR.

Looking for another "sack trick" of sorts with 3 players getting 10+ sacks.

If the O can sustain drives longer and not have 5 straight 3 and outs. Points against will be lower.

Yes, that's a dig at the O late in the 2014 season.

Anyone responding to this thread with a concern that Rex's "system" won't fit our players as well as Schwartz's just hasn't done his research.

+1. A good coach will always figure out how to use his talented players. Schwartz inherited a team that had played a 3-4 and just did fine, because he is an excellent coach. The same goes for Rex. He has proven to be a great defensive coach and will figure out how to put his best 11 on the field to make plays. If coach Roman can do the same with the talent accumulated on offense, we will be fine

Under Rex I fully expect our Run D to be improved and be near top 5 but I expect our Pass D to possibly take a slight step back as a result of not producing as many sacks. Overall, they'll probably be around the same again - top 5 overall, but with a decline in sacks they may not appear as dominant.

+1. A good coach will always figure out how to use his talented players. Schwartz inherited a team that had played a 3-4 and just did fine, because he is an excellent coach. The same goes for Rex. He has proven to be a great defensive coach and will figure out how to put his best 11 on the field to make plays. If coach Roman can do the same with the talent accumulated on offense, we will be fine

With Schwartz it worked because our guys fit his system perfectly. With Rex it will work because he can play any system. Edited by Aaron

With my Buffalo Doom-Shield firmly in place, I suspect worse. The upgrade in Offensive skill positions will make for quicker drives than anticipated and Blitz-happy defenses die by the same.

On the field more than they anticipate and victims of big plays = worse than last year.