Gameday Roster A Factor In Fred's Release?

jwhit34

I'm thinking that one of the considerations in the decision to release Fred Jackson was who would be active on game days. Presuming that they keep 4 RBs, if they kept Fred the 4 RBs would have most likely been McCoy, Jackson, Dixon and Williams. Like last year, they probably only dress 3 on game days, and my guess that would have been:

McCoy - obvious

Williams - #2 back and special teams contributor

Dixon - special teams and goal line runner

They may have felt that taking the PR hit and releasing him so he could latch on somewhere else vs. the PR nightmare of him not suiting up on Sundays was the lesser of two evils. This may have been the "other considerations" that they alluded to.

I bet that this played a HUGE factor in his release. With the (preseason) emergence of Karlos and Boobie's stud special teams play, there wasn't enough room for Fred on the 47 man game day roster.

I hate to see him go, but this is the reality. If Shady or Karlos get hurt (again), Bryce is there to step in.

Go Bills!

Don't overlook the ability to utilize Percy out of the backfield and as a 3rd down back. In 2011 with the Vikings he had 52 carries for 345 yards, last year in 8 games with the Jets he had 22 carries for 110 yards, the Vikings frequently lined him up at tailback.

I didn't realize that. Good point!

I also think that Mccoy had something to do with the team's thinking as well. Not him personally just that with Fred here he is the team leader the fan favorite. Mccoy would be in his shadow and I think front office wanted to move on now and prevent any future distractions down the road. I would like to think Mccoy would not be the jealous type but there is a childish vibe he gives off. Fred's release means this is Mccoy's team going forward.

I'm thinking that one of the considerations in the decision to release Fred Jackson was who would be active on game days. Presuming that they keep 4 RBs, if they kept Fred the 4 RBs would have most likely been McCoy, Jackson, Dixon and Williams. Like last year, they probably only dress 3 on game days, and my guess that would have been:

McCoy - obvious

They may have felt that taking the PR hit and releasing him so he could latch on somewhere else vs. the PR nightmare of him not suiting up on Sundays was the lesser of two evils. This may have been the "other considerations" that they alluded to.

This is good thinking, but you need to flip it around a bit. If there was a real chance FredEx wouldn't dress on Sunday, it would mean that his role on the team had become too limited to keep his spot on the roster - not because he might not be able to play with or even outplay the other backup RBs on offense, but because he's no longer a special team contributor. Fredex was getting paid too much to sit in civvies on game day. You want a cheap insurance backup for that role (Brown)

Every year we cut players that have fans shaking their heads because we see them playing better than a player who was kept at their primary position. ST is always the hidden roster driver, along with cost per perceived value.

I *think* they plan to keep 4 RB, but it's possible they like Wood and plan to stash him on the practice squad.

Edited by Hopeful

This is good thinking, but you need to flip it around a bit. If there was a real chance FredEx wouldn't dress on Sunday, it would mean that his role on the team had become too limited to keep his spot on the roster - not because he might not be able to play with or even outplay the other backup RBs on offense, but because he's no longer a special team contributor. Fredex was getting paid too much to sit in civvies on game day. You want a cheap insurance backup for that role (Brown)

Every year we cut players that have fans shaking their heads because we see them playing better than a player who was kept at their primary position. ST is always the hidden roster driver, along with cost per perceived value.

I *think* they plan to keep 4 RB, but it's possible they like Wood and plan to stash him on the practice squad.

I agree with this too.

McCoy - obvious

This theory was posted in the "RB Fred Jackson released" thread and it could be possible.

Edited by ricojes

I think it was this and nine other things and exactly as Whaley and Rex described it as. A very tough decision based on a lot of factors for the overall good of the team short, mid and long term. But it's a good point. They can't keep four active when you only play one at a time.

I just think Karlos beat him out as a backup to McCoy and being a ST guy and battering ram short yardage guy with breakaway speed.

I think it was this and nine other things and exactly as Whaley and Rex described it as. A very tough decision based on a lot of factors for the overall good of the team short, mid and long term. But it's a good point. They can't keep four active when you only play one at a time.

I just think Karlos beat him out as a backup to McCoy and being a ST guy and battering ram short yardage guy with breakaway speed.

Exactly.

They did give Fred a chance on ST, when they tried him as a punt returner. I really think they tried their hardest to find a spot for him on the roster but ultimately couldn't.

It will be a shame if Shady and Karlos Williams become the next Joe Piscopo.

You young'uns won't remember this, but when the original Saturday Night Live cast moved on, the lead guy in the next gatch of cast members was a guy named Joe Piscopo. He wasn't bad, but he also wasn't Belushi, Aykroyd, Murray, etc. He once described himself as the most hated person in America. All because he followed some special and treasured actors.

Shady and Karlos deserve to be thought of on their own, not as the guy who made Fred Jackson expendable.

McCoy - obvious

Well said.....Iike it.

Schopp (I know I know) said that his info is that Rex, pegs and Whaley (and the staff) all agreed upon and knew Fred was going to be cut. They just didn't know how or when. The "rogue" part is that he went ahead and did it monday morning and certain people were not in the loop on the timing.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Schopp (I know I know) said that his info is that Rex, pegs and Whaley (and the staff) all agreed upon and knew Fred was going to be cut. They just didn't know how or when. The "rogue" part is that he went ahead and did it monday morning and certain people were not in the loop on the timing.

Wow, so Schopp is actually defending the Bills organization in a sense? Go figure.

It will be a shame if Shady and Karlos Williams become the next Joe Piscopo.

You young'uns won't remember this, but when the original Saturday Night Live cast moved on, the lead guy in the next gatch of cast members was a guy named Joe Piscopo. He wasn't bad, but he also wasn't Belushi, Aykroyd, Murray, etc. He once described himself as the most hated person in America. All because he followed some special and treasured actors.

Shady and Karlos deserve to be thought of on their own, not as the guy who made Fred Jackson expendable.

My sister called me the most hated person in America once.

ONCE!

Edited by mastershake

Game day roster was the single greatest factor.

What do people imagine the coaching staff is considering at that conference table late into the night?

Other than how cutting a player impacts a sponsor's ad campaign, of course.

GO BILLS!!!

McCoy - obvious

Boobie isn't a goal line runner but Karlos is. Look at his production inside the 20 at FSU, he was one of the best in college. That said Boobie can contribute as a ST defender but might see himself cut with the addition of Reddick. That or Reddick is the 2014 "Larry Dean".

it was his "source" who told him this. He did say there must be someone in the org. who is trying to make Whaley look bad

Now that IS interesting. When Marroon did his quit-tation, wasn't he quoted as "trashing" the Bills organization to Polian saying something to the effect that there were "lifers" in the Bill's Front Office who had a "this is the way we've always done it" culture and opposed efforts by Whaley and Marrone to change the way things were done? Marrone hit the road, Littmann is gone, but a number of others are still here.....these would be guys who were here when Brandon was the effective GM and the FO/money guys were heavily involved in player personnel decisions.

I could easily see people like that getting in a snit because Whaley is doing things the New Way according to the new organizational structure, a PR sh*tstorm bursts under their nose, and they decide to get back at Whaley.

Now that IS interesting. When Marroon did his quit-tation, wasn't he quoted as "trashing" the Bills organization to Polian saying something to the effect that there were "lifers" in the Bill's Front Office who had a "this is the way we've always done it" culture and opposed efforts by Whaley and Marrone to change the way things were done? Marrone hit the road, Littmann is gone, but a number of others are still here.....these would be guys who were here when Brandon was the effective GM and the FO/money guys were heavily involved in player personnel decisions.

I could easily see people like that getting in a snit because Whaley is doing things the New Way according to the new organizational structure, a PR sh*tstorm bursts under their nose, and they decide to get back at Whaley.

Not that I don't agree but that would be a bold move by the said party and would likely be a career killer if they did an internal investigation. I can't think that more than a handful of guys would end up being in that lineup.