Whaley Stocks the Shelves, Coach Selects the Goods

K-9

Doug Whaley:

“That’s an interesting question. I think the way we look at it is there’s going to be disagreements, and you want that. You want internal debate, external unity. Does it go to Terry? Does it go to Kim? Does it go to Russ? Wherever it goes, as long as it’s the best decision for the Buffalo Bills,” Whaley said, via John Kryk of Sun Media. “I didn’t get into this to have power, or to have ego. I got into this to win championships. So every decision we’re going to come to agreement on is based on, ‘Is this going to help us win a championship?’ I know [Ryan’s] goal is to win a championship. If he thinks that’s the best decision, then I’m fully behind it. I’m going to stock the cupboard for him, and let him pull down and make whatever he wants to make. And whatever it is is going to be successful.”

If others want to argue semantics, fine, but in the interest of clarification and in the hopes of ending the incessant "Whaley's Ego Cut Freddy" arguments, I thought I'd start a thread for the discussion on where Whaley's job ends and Ryan's begins.

Whaley provides 90 players with input from the coaches. The coaches pare that down to 53, with input from Whaley and others including pro personnel, trainers, and medical staff.

Ryan, with input from others coaches, decides who goes on the practice squad, and which players sit on a week to week basis.

Make no mistake, Whaley was certainly consulted on the decision to cut one of the most popular players in team history, but it was the coaching staff that made the decision to cut him.

GO BILLS!!!

Doug Whaley:

If others want to argue semantics, fine, but in the interest of clarification and in the hopes of ending the incessant "Whaley's Ego Cut Freddy" arguments, I thought I'd start a thread for the discussion on where Whaley's job ends and Ryan's begins.

Whaley provides 90 players with input from the coaches. The coaches pare that down to 53, with input from Whaley and others including pro personnel, trainers, and medical staff.

Ryan, with input from others coaches, decides who goes on the practice squad, and which players sit on a week to week basis.

Make no mistake, Whaley was certainly consulted on the decision to cut one of the most popular players in team history, but it was the coaching staff that made the decision to cut him.

GO BILLS!!!

It is a no-brainer. I know there are some teams where owner, and GM meddle (Dallas), but it is a clear line for most teams, and sports.

Buddy, per usual, asleep at the wheel!

At least no one has blamed Russ Brandon for this...YET...

Damn it Russ Brandon! Always screwing this team up.

Was just thinking the same thing.

GO BILLS!!!

At the risk of feeding a troll, I'm sure that the Pegulas were informed before anyone else.

GO BILLS!!!

That's clearly the way to do it - inform your bosses before you announce the decision. I'd hope they'd also have the decency to tell Fred immediately after the Pegulas.

I can see how people would think Whaley would want this because he traded for Bryce, but Doug's not an idiot. I'm sure he knows what Fred means to the players and fans and given Brown's fumbling technique, he better be right about this.

They also better make the playoffs now.

That's clearly the way to do it - inform your bosses before you announce the decision. I'd hope they'd also have the decency to tell Fred immediately after the Pegulas.

I can see how people would think Whaley would want this because he traded for Bryce, but Doug's not an idiot. I'm sure he knows what Fred means to the players and fans and given Brown's fumbling technique, he better be right about this.

I'm not convinced Brown survives next week's cuts.

GO BILLS!!!

well, to be fair, I don't think FJax was going to be the key between making and missing the playoffs.

I think this thread is very unfair to the Whaley bashers. To make it more convenient, I will propose that Whaley himself called the OP and told him to post this. Its his fault.

Whaley built this Playoff calibre roster. Stacked with talent, from what I can see. Looking forward to see what Ryan can do with it.

Whether plays a role like John Schneider does in Seattle. The HC tells him what he's looking for and Whaley provides options. I think more often than not Rex is making decisions, notably the trade of a Whaley pick (Alonso) for their starting RB (McCoy).

The team is being built to Rex's standards not Whaley's.

Whether plays a role like John Schneider does in Seattle. The HC tells him what he's looking for and Whaley provides options. I think more often than not Rex is making decisions, notably the trade of a Whaley pick (Alonso) for their starting RB (McCoy).

You act as though this is some sort of revelation, when in reality Rex's and Whaley's standards are perfectly aligned. One could say the team is being built to Whaley's standards and be just as accurate.

Much of the core of skill players is Whaley. Let's see what Rex can do with the ingredients. We have an exciting roster, we need playoffs this year.

Whaley owns the restaurant, he hired Ryan to be the head chef.

Edited by mastershake

Doug Whaley:

You can't, It's powered by Gamma rays and is immune to logic, reason, and facts.

They wanted to release Fred earlier in the year but the Pegulas stepped in and prevented it. I think they finally caved.

I know this theory is also immune to the facts (and gets regurgitated as if it was one), but it was just that, and several here with some inside access denied it.

Edited by Hopeful