Bills +3 versus Indy

jumbalaya

You have to bet the Bills. New coach, defense will be smoking, energized stadium.

Last 5 QBs to play at the Ralph:

• 84 / 158 53% Completion Rate
  • 876 Passing Yards = 175 yards per game average
  • 1 TD
  • 7 INTs

I don't care how good Luck is, he will be running for his life all day.

Rodgers the only one of the 5 that compares to Luck was 17/42 185 0 TDs, 2 INT

Bet the money line and win extra big.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with Dareus we had a chance, without his presence in the middle stopping the run and putting pressure on Luck, Im not seeing it. Him being out was huge loss for this contest

Red Bryant is pretty good against the run himself. He'll help.

I think with Dareus we had a chance, without his presence in the middle stopping the run and putting pressure on Luck, Im not seeing it. Him being out was huge loss for this contest

Sure it's a loss, but per usual your take is a little overboard. The two Bryants (Corbin and Red) are very good replacements and the Bills have had all summer to prepare for Dareus' absence in this one game.

Sure it's a loss, but per usual your take is a little overboard. The two Bryants (Corbin and Red) are very good replacements and the Bills have had all summer to prepare for Dareus' absence in this one game.

This. We may not win but if we don't I have a hard time thinking it will be solely due to the absence of dareus when reportedly Corbin Bryant has had an awesome camp, we have suddenly even more depth with red Bryant, and we have 3 other studs next to him. Obviously losing Dareus last year in Oakland midgame without time to prepare was an issue, but the sorry state of indy's OL and their general aversion to running the ball helps us in his 1 game out. Plus the ability to game plan with the knowledge of no Dareus.

The plus 3 line sounds about right to me. With the HFA usually yielding 3 points, they are basically saying they think Colts by 6, right? Or am I off since I know nothing about gambling. Either way, Colts by a TD or less makes sense to me. If I recall correctly the Bears game last year was bills +6 on the road. I hope to prove them wrong again!

Edited by YoloinOhio

You have to bet the Bills. New coach, defense will be smoking, energized stadium.

Last 5 QBs to play at the Ralph:

• 84 / 158 53% Completion Rate
  • 876 Passing Yards = 175 yards per game average
  • 1 TD
  • 7 INTs

I don't care how good Luck is, he will be running for his life all day.

Rodgers the only one of the 5 that compares to Luck was 17/42 185 0 TDs, 2 INT

Bet the money line and win extra big.

The Colts have nothing outside of Luck. And tell me Jerry Hughes won't have something to prove? Bills in a rout.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The Colts have nothing outside of Luck. Bills in a rout.

:lol: Something of an exaggeration, don't you think? The offense is legit. Defense? Not so much. Where I give the Bills an edge is in preparation and the fact Luck has not been an All-Pro (a) early in the season and (b) on the road against good opponents.

I'm a big believer the Colts are overrated simply because they have Luck and are in a weak division. But damn, that quarterback.

The Bills being an underdog in a home game will be just the added incentive they need -- the coaches and players DO look at the spreads.

edited for lack of coffee.

WOW Bills +3 is a bigger number than about what I expected. 3 is the default spread for the home team. So they are saying the Bills w/o a proven QB is even with Luck?

The Indy D must be really bad.

By 10? :flirt:

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The Colts have nothing outside of Luck. And tell me Jerry Hughes won't have something to prove? Bills in a rout.

the Colts have an elite passing game with a large and deep group of stud WRs and an elite CB. And Luck.the Bills know they need to run.the.ball, keep Luck off the field as much as possible, and not turn the ball over. The defense will be very critical but most important is the Bills need to score points on offense. They can't get into a shootout, but Luck WILL get his. There is no defense for the perfect pass.

Weak areas Bills can exploit:

OL/pass protection

Run D

In other words, control the LOS.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It looks like a typical 'week 1 and we have no idea' line.

I have to admit--I thought the Colts would be favored by more, especially without Dareus. They're a better team because of Luck, and with Gore, they should be able to run it. I'm not saying the Bills don't have a chance, but I've long chalked this one up as a loss.

:lol: Something of an exaggeration, don't you think? The offense is legit. Defense? Not so much. Where I give the Bills an edge is in preparation and the fact Luck has not been an All-Pro (a) early in the season and (b) on the road against good opponents.

I'm a big believer the Colts are overrated simply because they have Luck and are in a weak division. But damn, that quarterback.

The Bills being an underdog in a home game will be just the added incentive they need -- the coaches and players DO look at the spreads.

No, I don't think I'm exaggerating at all. How good is the Colts O-line? PFF had them ranked #17 last year. How will they fare against our our D-line, with a Jerry Hughes looking to prove something? That is going to limit Luck's effectiveness.

Colts running game? In 2014 they ranked 22nd. Even with Dareus out, they won't be able to run on us. That puts all the scoring on Luck's shoulders. Gore? Roman can give Thurman some tips on how to stop him.

Defensively, the Colts were 18th against the run in 2014. And from what I read, the Colts do not have a clear-cut NT yet. I think the Bills run game is a little better this year.

So outside of QB, I don't see where the Colts are that much better than the Bills.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have to admit--I thought the Colts would be favored by more, especially without Dareus. They're a better team because of Luck, and with Gore, they should be able to run it. I'm not saying the Bills don't have a chance, but I've long chalked this one up as a loss.

their issue last year with running the ball was part RB talent but mostly OL. If they haven't fixed that yet, Gore won't make a huge difference in the ability to run the ball. Where I think he will make a bigger impact is his experience and ability to block in pass pro. The Colts are dreadful in this area and that hasn't improved yet in the PS.

I don't ever chalk up any games as wins or losses because in the NFL I find that nearly impossible but this game looks like a great matchup to me.

Edited by YoloinOhio

If we dont have leodis back and playing well, they'll have 4 wr's out there a lot.

That means Darby and probably Brooks in single coverage against Luck.

They are gonna score some points. Luck didnt throw 40 td's by mistake last year, then again he didnt play in Buffalo with our crowd either. No Dareus hurts but we have the Bryant boys they looked good in camp.

I think we steal the win if TT plays and Karlos is healthy. Gotta keep Luck on the bench, we are built to beat teams like Indy.

WOW By +3 is a bigger number than I expected. 3 is the default spread for the hoe team. So they are saying the Bills w/o a proven QB is even with Luck?

The Indy D must be really bad.

By 10? :flirt:

You have that mixed up. They're saying that the Bills w/o a proven QB is 6 points worse than Luck, but with the 3 points for the home team, it's only +3.

Dave, you seem to be a bit more on the conservative side when it comes to the Bills so I'm not surprised by this, but if you truly evaluate the matchup from top to bottom (including coaching) there's really only one position at which the Colts are superior. Granted, it's a big one, but this looks really good on paper for the Bills.

Our d will be fine, I can see a couple sacks, fumble and interception. Tyrd, with Sammy and clay should be able to burn their secondary, McCoy will get about 140 yes running and pass catching, tyrd will play great, it could easily be a long day for Indy d.

Yeah we really need to get out of this mindset of chalking up automatic losses before the season starts. We can win any game. We showed that vs GB last year. And now we have more weapons. If we're going to compete in the AFC this year, we have to believe that at our HOME OPENER that this is a win and that we can win.

Yeah we really need to get out of this mindset of chalking up automatic losses before the season starts. We can win any game. We showed that vs GB last year. And now we have more weapons. If we're going to compete in the AFC this year, we have to believe that at our HOME OPENER that this is a win and that we can win.

i don't think any game on the NFL can ever be chalked up as anything. Win or loss. This isn't CFB. Any Given Sunday and One Game at a Time are cliches but it is absolutely true in this league.

I know many Colts fans are nervous that their Xfactor in the game, the QB, is being protected by a crap OL and they are facing the best DL in the league on the road in one of the toughest places to play. Luck is a below .500 QB on the road.

Edited by YoloinOhio

My biggest concern, our secondary.

I know Cutler isn't Luck but last year we went into the Bears game without Gilmore and still won, despite their offense at the time being thought of as SB caliber with the WRs, TE and RB. Missing McKelvin sucks but we have a really good secondary regardless. Luck will target Darby a ton but he will have safety help.

Last year in Cleveland, Luck targeted "Justin Gilbert the Train Wreck" like he will Darby and JG got a pick 6.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i was hoping to be 7 point dogs so i could make some money. we typically play well to start the season, especially at home. i think at the very least it will be a close game. if we lose it will be by a last second FG or late scoring drive. i think our defense will keep them in check for most of the game but in the end our secondary will collapse and give up some big plays. TY Hilton will probably scorch us a few times.

the real difference maker will be us not scoring TD's on offense. you need to get that 7 and stop trying to play it safe and get the 3. too many teams that get inside the 30 are happy to run the ball a few times and then kick a FG. the good teams are the ones that are able to finish the drive and punch it in the endzone. that's one of my biggest pet peeves. that and punting on 4th and 1 or taking a sack to get knocked out of FG range. i also hate when it's 3rd and short and our CB's are 10 yards off the receivers. i usually start yelling at the tv when those types of things happen.

They couldn't handle Carr and the Raiders without Dareus...

I know Cutler isn't Luck but last year we went into the Bears game without Gilmore and still won, despite their offense at the time being thought of as SB caliber with the WRs, TE and RB. Missing McKelvin sucks but we have a really good secondary regardless. Luck will target Darby a ton but he will have safety help.

Last year in Cleveland, Luck targeted "Justin Gilbert the Train Wreck" like he will Darby and JG got a pick 6.

Good point, I was pleasantly surprised with our secondary that day. What a great game that was. Currently watching the highlights again. Can't wait for this season to start. I hope the weather is perfect.

Corey Graham was a great pick up imo.

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

Good point. What a great game that was. Currently watching the highlights again. Can't wait for this season to start. I hope the weather is perfect.

Corey Graham was a great pick up imo.

i almost forgot we were missing Bradham for that game too. Rookie Preston Brown had to start and struggled vs the TE but also forced a fumble. Edited by YoloinOhio

Our d will be fine, I can see a couple sacks, fumble and interception. Tyrd, with Sammy and clay should be able to burn their secondary, McCoy will get about 140 yes running and pass catching, tyrd will play great, it could easily be a long day for Indy d.

Is it really that much harder to add the "o" into the guy's name instead of calling him a TERD?

If you like the guy, which it appears you do, why are you calling him a terd?

On that particular day, even with Dareus, they probably wouldn't have handled the Raiders. Simply a bad day for us and a good day for them.

Yolo brought up a good point earlier too. That happened mid-game. This time we know Dareus will be out so we can game plan.

For me, I will hold off anything until I see the dress rehearsal game Saturday.Should have a much better idea of what this team really is after that.

But remember also, the +3 is the gambling line, which exists to get a portion of the betting public to bet the way that balances out the betting. And in this case they must feel the betting public (as a whole, not just in Buffalo NY) aren't Billievers and need a little push to bet on the Bills.

I watched the Colts vs Chicago in last weeks preseason game. I only saw about 25 minutes of the game but it was when the 1st stringers were out there. I noticed that Chicago's D was winning at the line of scrimmage consistently. Lots of pressure on Luck. So, I am not sure on the strength of the Colts O Line. Again, only Week 2 in preseason, plus only a 25 minute glimpse, but I think as good as the Colts are, they are vulnerable. Also, I'm not sold on Gore.

HUGE Week 1 for Bills (very good Colts team plus conference game) ... if they can beat the Colts, we are off to a great start and we can believe a little more in this team.

Edited by DallasBillsFan1

My biggest concern, our secondary.

That's my biggest concern too.

Even if the pass rush is there, which I expect it to be with our defense, Luck can still beat you.

I am hoping that our safeties lay some big hits Indy's receivers early in the game and keep them thinking they are going to get hit again. That should help.

And we have to get a running game going to be able to move the chains and control the football. Indy will have a hard time racking up points if we keep their offense on the sideline. If we can run the ball, and I think we will do that successfully, then we can win this game. Otherwise, I am not confident.

I think the line (+3) sounds about right. We are missing our best player for the game.

If our defense comes out and shuts down Luck and co, I'd start to rethink giving Dareus $100 million. But the truth is that our defense isn't as good when he's not on the field. The offense is going to have to put up points for us to win this one. The turnover battle is going to be huge.

Edited by Billsrhody

I can easily see a win or a loss in the first game. With Andrew Luck you have a guy who can look bad for most of the game and still throw 3 TDs in the 4th quarter if he got hot.

Hopefully they choose Taylor (if it's between Cassle and Taylor) because if the Bills have a two score lead he can create clock draining drives in the second half by having the ability to run for 1st downs if need be.

The Bills must win against the Pats if they are starting Garrapalo though. A loss there would be humiliating for this this franchise who see themselves as a playoff contender.

That's my biggest concern too.

Even if the pass rush is there, which I expect it to be with our defense, Luck can still beat you.

I am hoping that our safeties lay some big hits Indy's receivers early in the game and keep them thinking they are going to get hit again. That should help.

And we have to get a running game going to be able to move the chains and control the football. Indy will have a hard time racking up points if we keep their offense on the sideline. If we can run the ball, and I think we will do that successfully, then we can win this game. Otherwise, I am not confident.

imo you go into it knowing you will not completely stop Luck. You don't depend on your defense and hope for a low scoring game. You go into it knowing you need TDs not FGs and must move the ball, control the clock and keep Luck off the field. In other words, you put the onus on the offense, not the defense.

The defense will be fine and I expect them to do their thing, but again there is no defense for the perfect pass, and Luck has those in spades.

Edited by YoloinOhio