Nick O'Leary looks like odd man out at TE

YoloinOhio

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am totally up for an NFL rule that allows teams to pass a few players right to the practice squad. I know this is not fair to the players but it would actually be better for many of them. With PS's now 10 players it would be nice to have 3 designated as something between PS and the active 53.

I like that idea. Let's say they can protect 2 and send them straight to the PS.

Doesn't matter anyway. Any team cam sign another team's PS player.

Hence the "protected" status. Those two couldn't be signed to another team without the player's original team either blocking it, or getting a free pick off the other team's PS.

I like that idea. Let's say they can protect 2 and send them straight to the PS.

Hence the "protected" status. Those two couldn't be signed to another team without the player's original team either blocking it, or getting a free pick off the other team's PS.

The NFLPA would never go for that, nor should they. Practice squad players make a pittance in comparison with active roster players.

The NFLPA would never go for that, nor should they. Practice squad players make a pittance in comparison with active roster players.

Maybe as a compromise, have "protected" practice squad players be payed close to the league minimum. I am sure if pay is the sticking point they could work something out. I also like the idea of being able to designate two players straight to the practice squad without exposing them to waivers.

I don't see a whole lot of upside to O'Leary. He'll have to be near-perfect from a technical standpoint to make a team. Even then, he's not going to wow anyone.

Gray is a more intriguing H-back prospect.

Yes, because near perfect technical skill have been a minimum standard for prospective Bills TE's for decades.

Doesn't matter anyway. Any team cam sign another team's PS player.

yeah but the team can match the offer, right?

the protection status would be unfair for the player, unfortunately. the option the nflpa would push for is a 55 man roster.

i'd not be surprised if it is coming, even if they change the number dressing.

yeah but the team can match the offer, right?

the protection status would be unfair for the player, unfortunately. the option the nflpa would push for is a 55 man roster.

i'd not be surprised if it is coming, even if they change the number dressing.

the team can choose to keep the player by signing to their active roster if another team tries to sign him. I believe they are required to keep them on the active roster though for a certain number of weeks - not sure how many. Obviously that means they would need to cut someone else to do so unless they had someone going on IR at same time. Edited by YoloinOhio

Maybe as a compromise, have "protected" practice squad players be payed close to the league minimum. I am sure if pay is the sticking point they could work something out. I also like the idea of being able to designate two players straight to the practice squad without exposing them to waivers.

At this point that is essentially just expanding the active roster to 55, as mentioned a few posts above me. Which I feel like would be a good idea - with all the injuries in football, it's really hard to develop enough depth because when your star goes down you only could afford 1 or 2 roster spots as his backup, then you're forced to sign someone off the waivers who doesn't know your system

There are some TE needy teams like the Redskins who could pick him up off waivers before we can sign him to the PS. It sucks because he might just be a guy who needs time to adjust to the NFL. But, thems the breaks.

The Redskins just flipped a 5th Round pick for a TE from San Fran. Am sure they'll explore a few guys in roster cuts but have to believe there will be better options than a 6th Round rookie that interest them.

O'Leary i think can be good. he's probably just off to a slow start. but unfortunately we have so many TE's that he couldn't afford the time it takes for the college to NFL transition. I think we can try and practice squad him but I'm guessing someone will grab him for their roster pretty quick