Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter

Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter  

290 members have voted

1. 1. What are the chances that Tyrod Taylor can become a "franchise" QB in 2015?

That may very well happen but you and I both know if they take a 1st round QB he is the guy that they want to become "the franchise guy."

But with 2 promising guys in place, and our previous mismanagement of QB development they could sit him for a year or 2. Though I'm hoping more for a guy like Towles from Kentucky in the 3-4 range

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must be the pre-season, when hope reigns eternal. 73% of the people who voted think there is more than a 25% chance that he becomes a franchise QB in 2015. A third of you think it's greater than a 50% chance!?

A 6th round pick with 0 starts and fewer than 40 attempts in his 4 year career because he's played well in practice and two pre-season games.

Perhaps what's needed is for people to define what they consider a "franchise QB." Because I'm not sure everybody has the same definition. I define it as a guy whom you feel confident/comfortable QBing your team for the next 6-8 years. A position that requires no more high draft picks (or big FA signings) because the starter is set in stone.

We think TT can give that to us with his performance this year?

And just for the record, I voted 0% in both this and the EJ threads.

It must be the pre-season, when hope reigns eternal. 73% of the people who voted think there is more than a 25% chance that he becomes a franchise QB in 2015. A third of you think it's greater than a 50% chance!?

A 6th round pick with 0 starts and fewer than 40 attempts in his 4 year career because he's played well in practice and two pre-season games.

Perhaps what's needed is for people to define what they consider a "franchise QB." Because I'm not sure everybody has the same definition. I define it as a guy whom you feel confident/comfortable QBing your team for the next 6-8 years. A position that requires no more high draft picks (or big FA signings) because the starter is set in stone.

We think TT can give that to us with his performance this year?

And just for the record, I voted 0% in both this and the EJ threads.

I believe the defined barometer is as good as or better than Tannehill

This is tough to measure. According to this ranking of QB's, http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/08/17/nfl-starting-quarterback-power-rankings-2015/31849227/he'd have to be around 20 to be in the Alex Smith/Ryan Tannenhill range. The bar isn't very high. But achieving that this year would difficult. Possible, yes, but more likely not.

Franchise QBs are unicorns that fart rainbows. They come from a magical place and if you wish really hard and sleep with an inflation needle under your pillow you might just wake up with one, or maybe not.

Am I being silly? A bit. But when I read putdowns of Taylor for being a backup for for years, I wonder what exactly people are waiting for. You know several franchise QBs were benchwarmers. Aaron Rogers was behind Favre for how long? But there is a benefit to the long learning curve.

To me, Tyrod is better than anyone we could have drafted the last five years because he was a backup behind a good QB on a quality team. You want a franchise QB? That's the best place to look for one.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Ahh, the infamous "outlier" argument. If 1 of these 3 guys lead the Bills to a Super Bowl title their play will be at least in the top half of the league.

What's truly funny about the Dilfer outlier usage is that Dilfer was a number 1-2 overall pick, wasn't he?

Watching Russell Wilson tonight, he has a much better arm and a more natural feel in the pocket in comparison to Tyrod.

Wilson has a rocket. One of the best arms in the league. Another in an endless series of things people don't know or recognize about him. He just flicks the ball 40-50 yards.

We did it last week for EJ and apparently it wasn't without bias. Let's apply the exact same question to Tyrod.

There is so much talk on the topic that I thought that a poll may be appropriate. What are the odds in your opinion that Tyrod Taylor can be a "franchise" type QB this year? As a baseline I would say, Alex Smith / Ryan Tannehill represent the low end. Basically what are the odds that he can achieve that level of play.

How dare you insult the Great Tannehill like that !!

i think you are crazy to think that the upside of tyrod is SO MUCH more than EJ. perhaps you think hes more likely to hit it, but to say the potential is a wide gap in favor of TT seems to be completely missing what a prototype specimen EJ could be if he can maximize his ability.

It's not crazy, because EJ cannot get his stuff together, and he has had opportunities to do so now. I'm so glad that this coaching staff is finally putting to rest this idea that EJ will be that special QB with time to "maximize his abilities". It is CLEAR that he will never get there because he isn't responding to lessons learned, and one preseason game drive against bench defenders isn't going to resuscitate his rep. All "prototype specimens" don't win games! RESULTS, not excuses.

We did it last week for EJ and apparently it wasn't without bias. Let's apply the exact same question to Tyrod.

There is so much talk on the topic that I thought that a poll may be appropriate. What are the odds in your opinion that Tyrod Taylor can be a "franchise" type QB this year? As a baseline I would say, Alex Smith / Ryan Tannehill represent the low end. Basically what are the odds that he can achieve that level of play.

Franchise QB??? . . . I'll take competent starter. If he can do that, we'll be very happy.

How dare you insult the Great Tannehill like that !!

you should start a thread about trading EJ for Tannehill, I bet the Fish would go for that.

RESULTS, not excuses.

I'm not sure who I favor between EJ and TT right now but this made me chuckle.

So far in this QB derby EJ has led the team to TDs in the scrimmage and each of the pre-season games. TT has led the team to TDs in one pre-season game. Cassel has led the team to no TDs (with one fewer game.) EJ has performed well when the lights come on.

Results, not excuses?

What's truly funny about the Dilfer outlier usage is that Dilfer was a number 1-2 overall pick, wasn't he?

He was 5th or 6th I think but your point stands. He was drafted to be a franchise guy, played below that level and then won a Super Bowl. Tom Brady is to the draft as Trent Dilfer is to winning the Super Bowl. A total anomaly that everyone points to when trying to justify their irrational belief that you don't need to go the traditional route to get the necessary level of QB play. They are the "yeah but" in everyone's argument. Brady and Dilfer are exceptions not the rule.

Taylor hasn't been asked to read anything more than vanilla defenses (there are vanilla blitzes) or to execute the entire playbook.

If McCoy, Harvin and Watkins all play at the peak levels this year, it seems highly possible the Bills offense can spread the offense pretty wide, which could make Taylor's running ability a real weapon. As a result he may be really effective for the Bills.

Franchise QBs probably are fairly defined as guys you would pay 15+ million per year too, and sacrifice talent at other positions to accommodate that. It is hard to see Taylor turning into that type of player this year. But I picked 1 to 25% because it is not impossible.

Ahh, the infamous "outlier" argument. If 1 of these 3 guys lead the Bills to a Super Bowl title their play will be at least in the top half of the league.

I think your definition of a "Franchise QB" is an outlier.

Andrew Dalton is in "Top half of the league". Andy Dalton is not a "franchise QB"

Alex Smith is in the "Top half of the league" Alex Smith is not a "franchise QB".

Most Commonly a franchise QB is someone that is better than an "average" or "Top Half" or "middle of the pack" QB."

Edited by 1B4IDie

I wish he had just slid a little earlier on that read option run. I've seen enough to know I want to see more. Fail to slide on a regular basis and this will become more of a "what if" topic....

me too. I think though when he isnt trying to prove himself so much he slides.....I sure hope so.

Time to gamble and go with EJ and Taylor. They will lose games with mistakes but that is the only way to develop them.

Even in the regular season , each play a half ?

When we need good, clutch QB play, EJ can come in at the end and lead one of his game winning drives. Seems he doesn't get a lot of credit from his detractors for this quality.

How about this for a franchise QB definition for Bills fans: A QB who you rather pay $100mm and lost Marcell Dareus from the lineup.

I think Andy Dalton fits that definition. Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford definitely do. Ryan Tannehill might. IMO,If we traded Dareus straight up for Dalton, the Bills have greater playoff chances this year.

At this point I would rather lose, Taylor, Manuel or Cassel than Dareus.

Watching Russell Wilson tonight, he has a much better arm and a more natural feel in the pocket in comparison to Tyrod.

Yea I think Wilson is the epitome of how a QB with those skills should play. He makes up for every limitation with being so smart in the pocket and when to run. He also knows the reads to make and almost never makes mistakes. We would be lucky if TT become 60% of him. But he may need time. They are similar in size/strength. The rest is between the ears.