Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter

Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter  

290 members have voted

1. 1. What are the chances that Tyrod Taylor can become a "franchise" QB in 2015?

If he starts there's no way he finishes the year. He will get injured or fizzle out once teams figure out that he runs wide every time on his bootleg. He adds excitement but I don't think it's anything long term so let's keep in mind that QB's like this may have some early success but it's never for very long

Tyrod has shown good decision-making in these two pre-season games. He has relied on his arm enough. That's encouraging.

I've seen two specific plays. In the first game, he passed for the 1st down, on 3rd and medium, when he could've ran. In the second game, he recognized a screen was covered and ran for the first down.

If he does this consistently, he'll last the season and into the playoffs.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ got hit every time he dropped back. It is amazing how much of a bias is coming out right now.

Playing behind that 3rd string line, no suprise he stayed under pressure - and STILL came through when it counted! He's earned some time with the 1s

Playing behind that 3rd string line, no suprise he stayed under pressure - and STILL came through when it counted! He's earned some time with the 1s

I agree EJ has played better than expected and has shown improvement I just wouldnt plan to see him with the ones. Rex seems to value him behind the other two. IMO.

Do the TT supporters, which I consider myself as, believe that he is better/as good/or worse than RG3 in terms of ability (assuming RG3 is healthy). Last night TT extended a run a little too long and took a hit and hell likely do that in the season. I watched last night and get excited about the added elements he can bring to the offense and how he is able to move the chains but things have ended SO bad in DC that I wonder if were just kidding ourselves and the league is laughing at us. I would definitely take a 2012 RG3 performance from TT but what are the chances?

75-99.

What I find full of irony is that one of the main 'poo-poo's' of TT is that "he will never last a full season due to injury from his style of play". He handles the ball on every play in which he's in there and is still upright. Cannot be said for at least a dozen other skill guys.

Dudes a tough guy and a born winner.

Might have been different with a full arsenal out there with him.

He had a better arsenal than EJ did when EJ led a drive ending with a TD/2pt. conversion. And the defense that Taylor faced was barely (if at all) better than what EJ was up against.

Please define for me what a "franchise QB" is. I'm not trying to be a turd, but I have always struggled with this. Does this mean like top 5 QB in the NFL? Does it mean worthy of being Buffalo's starting QB for the foreseeable future? Help me out.

This is what I was thinking too.

Someone suggested it means he would become a slightly above average starting quarterback. Ranked somewhere around 15. Based on that and based on his performance if the first two preseason games I would put his odds somewhere around 40% give or take 5%. I don't think we have seen the best he has to offer and I don't think we have seen his worst game yet. And we are forced to base our guesses on preseason games which kind of sucks. It is a real crap shoot. Maybe he keeps his upward trajectory. Maybe he crumbles under adversity when it happens. Who knows? At this point, just about anything is still possible.

This is what I was thinking too.

Someone suggested it means he would become a slightly above average starting quarterback. Ranked somewhere around 15. Based on that and based on his performance if the first two preseason games I would put his odds somewhere around 40% give or take 5%. I don't think we have seen the best he has to offer and I don't think we have seen his worst game yet. And we are forced to base our guesses on preseason games which kind of sucks. It is a real crap shoot. Maybe he keeps his upward trajectory. Maybe he crumbles under adversity when it happens. Who knows? At this point, just about anything is still possible.

To me a "franchise QB" is one that will almost never lose you a game, can and often does win games with his ability alone, if paired with a good D has a very realistic shot at a SB and consistently makes the offensive players he is with look good.

Tyrod has shown good decision-making in these two pre-season games. He has relied on his arm enough. That's encouraging.

I've seen two specific plays. In the first game, he passed for the 1st down, on 3rd and medium, when he could've ran. In the second game, he recognized a screen was covered and ran for the first down.

If he does this consistently, he'll last the season and into the playoffs.

he also hangs on to the ball too long and it's only a matter of time before he gets hit. on the read option play he put his shoulder down instead of sliding. things like that will lead to injuries. i just don't see a scenario where he lasts the whole season while running around the way that he does but i hope to be proven wrong.

At the risk of being labeled the negative nelly, I really wasn't that overly impressed with TT last night. Not saying he didn't do well but I think he did about as well as any QB we've ever had has done in similar situations (with the exception of the fact that he had mobility). He made some simple throws and one or two more complicated throws but that's about it. As many key guys as we had out the Browns were missing a lot in their secondary as well. I feel like we saw this in the past from Trent, Fitz, Tuel, etc. I recall Jeff Tuel looking outstanding in a preseason game against the Colts a couple years back only to look dreadful in his next game. I'm sticking with 1 - 25% chance leaning closer to the 1. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

At the risk of being labeled the negative nelly, I really wasn't that overly impressed with TT last night. Not saying he didn't do well but I think he did about as well as any QB we've ever had has done in similar situations (with the exception of the fact that he had mobility). He made some simple throws and one or two more complicated throws but that's about it. As many key guys as we had out the Browns were missing a lot in their secondary as well. I feel like we saw this in the past from Trent, Fitz, Tuel, etc. I recall Jeff Tuel looking outstanding in a preseason game against the Colts a couple years back only to look dreadful in his next game. I'm sticking with 1 - 25% chance leaning closer to the 1. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I can understand that, but the things that jumped out for me were how easy the accuracy came on some of those throws. The sideline routes we on a dime. They looked like standard starting QB throws, nothing eye popping, but the fact that they looked routine for him and weren't in between bad throws made me confident in his arm.

I think of "happy feet" as jittery motions in the pocket, not the tendency to run. I'm not sure "happy feet" is a knock on either QB, though. EJ definitely still has problems setting his feet.

I always thought happy feet meant the QB was prone to take off running. By your definition I'd have to say Peyton Manning has happy feet as well. He's always hopping in the pocket.

It did look to me like Tyrod took off few times where he had open WRs. Once he threw the ball away on a roll out when a RB had broken free about 5 - 10 yards upfield but Tyrod didn't see him.

I'd say EJ has developed into a nice pocket passer with really nice pocket awareness and patience.

The upside to TT is that if he is able to run for first downs on situations like 3rd and 6 plays instead of automatically assuming it is going to be a pass play, then teams are going to be forced to respect his running capabilities. That is going to make defensive backs want to leave their (receivers/coverage) a little earlier than they otherwise might in order to prevent him from ripping off yardage with his feet. And if they do that, you can bet that the passing game is going to open up more.

Will TT hit those receivers then? Maybe, maybe not, but I think the odds are in his favor in those situations. He could really change defensive game plans.

To me this is the biggest deal. I agree that from a throwing perspectice he isnt clearly better then most QBs. But will that equal then you add in the mobility he takes the lead for me. He also had a couple times when he could have bailed easily but actually stepped up in the pocket. One was the 3rd down side line throw and the other was the would-be sack that turned into 7-8 yards. The stepping up in the pocket as a first instinct was very promising.

Edited by jletha