Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter

Tyrod Taylor Confidence Meter  

290 members have voted

1. 1. What are the chances that Tyrod Taylor can become a "franchise" QB in 2015?

No, but it did specify "franchise quarterback." And rarely is your franchise quarterback not #1 on the depth chart.

I am curious, though, how one "becomes" the franchise quarterback. Particularly in one season.

rabbit hole here we go!

I vividly remember your original post. It made an impression on me after I saw TT in his first preseason game. I was very surprised at how good of a passer he was. My preconceived impression of him was that he was a scatter-armed running qb. I couldn't have been more wrong.

What makes me optimistic about TT is that he has a feel for the game. You can't teach instincts. You either have it or you don't. EJ and Losman both demonstrate the point that physical attributes will never compensate for a lack of a natural feel to the game.

Roman handled TT very smartly this season. He understood where TT was as a player and development stage. With an offseason of quality preparation and continued good coaching I am optimistic about his prospects. I'm not sure if he is going to take a quantum leap next year but if with more playing time he should at the minimum steadily improve. By next year we should have a great deal of clarity regarding the questions you pose about him.

excellent bolded post!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love me some Tyrod.

Still wouldn't change my vote from 1-25%

I don't know if they do.

I must have a higher standard of a franchise QB.

My Definition:

A QB that will LEAD their team to more VICTORIES in place of an AVERAGE NFL QB (.e. if Tony Romo is replaced by an AVERAGE NFL QB the team does not win. If the Colts replace an average NFL QB with Andrew Luck the Colts win more games) AND can CONSISTENTLY perform well in high pressure situations (2 minute Drill, 4th QTR. Game Ending Drives).

TT is not a franchise QB by my definition. If you put Philip Rivers on the 2015 Buffalo Bills, they're probably an 11-5 team this season maybe better.

Cutler is debatable but likely not a franchise QB.

I believe that Alex Smith is an average QB I don't know if the Chiefs do worse if Matthew Stafford or Ryan Tannehill were a QB. I don't know how much LEADING ALex Smith does. I don't believe I've seen much "clutch" play by Alex Smith.

SD had a better defense than Buffalo and yet the Chargers were worse than the Bills. So how exactly does Philip Rivers get the more wins with us? I think your fanboy logic is faulty. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Why am I encouraged about TT? Let's compare our situation with him to Washington's situation with Cousins. Over the last half dozen games Cousins is the second ranked qb in the league. Is he the second best qb in the league? Absolutely not! What happened in Washington is that they had a good balance between the run and passing game so that there wouldn't be too much pressure to force passing plays. Even if the running game wasn't clicking they maintained the balance so the defense wouldn't sell out to attack the qb. There was also a lot of safe swing and underneath passes that allowed Cousins to stay in rhythm and keep the chains moving.

The best way to describe Cousins's situation is that their coaches devised an approach that put their qb in the most favorable position to succeed. The growth in Cousins's play was evident. As the season advanced he gained more confidence and steadily got better. Last year and in the beginning of this season Cousin's played with fear. He very often was emotionally crippled after throwing interceptions. Once he learned to handle adversity and forget about the bad plays he took off as a qb.

Is TT better than Cousins? Which qb has more talent? That isn't the point or question being posed here. My point is that smart handling of qbs is a major factor in the development of qbs. I believe that Roman understands how to handle qbs and how to develop them. He didn't throw the voluminous book at the qb (as was done on defense) he fed him a page at a time. The coach knew what he was doing and he had the receptive and diligent pupil in his classroom. That's is why I am optimistic about our qb's prospects.

SD had a better defense than Buffalo and yet the Chargers were worse than the Bills. So how exactly does Philip Rivers get the more wins with us? I think your fanboy logic is faulty.

Faulty logic, huh? I'm not even sure what to make of your first sentence. It makes zero sense.

Have you seen the Chargers roster? They're rolling out an old Stevie Johnson and no o-line.

Fanboy?

It is a simple thought exorcize, swap QBs and then determine if there would be a positive or negative effect on the team.

The 2015 Buffalo Bills with Philip Rivers would win more games. It's not even logical to argue that point.

He was the difference maker in the Tenn. game. Taylor turned it on in the 4th and lead the Bills to victory.

There is not one game i can say 'Taylor is the reason we lost that game'. There were some games we played way to conservatively and thus i think Taylor held back. I hope that Taylor and Roman continue developing the passing game. One that includes heavy doses of Watkins and Clay. Clay will be huge next year if healthy.

You must not have seen the Giants game.

Using the EJ logic...had TT been anything other than HORRIBLE the rest of the game, it wouldn't have mattered.

I'm guessing by it you mean they, since it was 2 separate TDs on separate drives (One a 31 yard Tyrod run in the 3rd Q, the other a 32 yard pass to Clay in the 4th Q). As to your other point, we had 55 yards rushing the entire game (15 of which were from Tyrod) and 274 yards passing. You're right, it's obviously a loss on the QB and fail in the passing game.

I'm guessing by it you mean they, since it was 2 separate TDs on separate drives (One a 31 yard Tyrod run in the 3rd Q, the other a 32 yard pass to Clay in the 4th Q). As to your other point, we had 55 yards rushing the entire game (15 of which were from Tyrod) and 274 yards passing. You're right, it's obviously a loss on the QB and fail in the passing game.

I sincerely apologize, I've relapsed in my Taylorism. I'll return to orthodoxy post haste. Thanks for helping me see the error of my ways.

I don't think he became a franchise QB in 2015... in order to do that in one season, you have to be on another level. That being said... I think Tyrod has turned out to be pretty good, and showed enough development that he may become a franchise QB very soon.

Though, its tough for me to really define what a franchise QB is.

Well the two things we have learnt this year pursuant to the original thread are:

1. TT does indeed have a chance (at least a 50% chance maybe a tad better) of being a Franchise QB.

2. Ryan Tannehill is not a franchise QB. I mean some of us already knew that but there we go...

I don't think he became a franchise QB in 2015... in order to do that in one season, you have to be on another level. That being said... I think Tyrod has turned out to be pretty good, and showed enough development that he may become a franchise QB very soon.

Though, its tough for me to really define what a franchise QB is.

Assuming the team is reasonably healthy, next year will tell the tale on TT. Really like what he does, he is a cross between Vick and Wilson. If he learns to slide and elude the hits the way Wilson does, he will make it through 16 games and be really good I believe. Roman has handled him and the offense well. Baby steps and by year end they were really opening up the playbook. 2016 will be fun.