Most regrettable Bill's player cuts

Steve O

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen threads on worst trades, worst draft picks, etc. But unless I missed it and didn't use the search function properly, I've never seen one on worst player cuts. With roster cut downs looming, this year we might be cutting some very good players. Thought it might be fun to look at previous players cut that went on to have long careers with other teams. Surprisingly, I can't think of many, but two stand out.

John Parrella, drafted in the second round 1993, played sparingly that year and cut in 1994. He spent 11 more years in the NFL, mostly starting for San Diego and Oakland. Couple guys named Smith and Hansen may have made him expendable.

And of course, the one that really stands out was Gary Anderson, drafted in the sixth round of 1982 but cut before the start of the season in favor of Nick Mike-Meyer. Not sure if Mike-Meyer survived the season with the Bills or not, but he was gone by 1983. Bills struggled with kickers until landing Scott Norwood in 85. Anderson went on to play for 23 years and was the all time leading scorer at the time of his retirement.

Anyone think of others?

um, ej ... B-)

While DT Pat Williams wasn't cut, he wanted to stay in Buffalo and was never offered a fair contract by Tom Donahoe. In any event, that was a crippling move that sent the franchise back years

and Ted Washington, Greg Williams gutted that team and our # 3 defense in favor of his "# 1" defense. Also think Phil Hanson "retired" when he came in.

I've seen threads on worst trades, worst draft picks, etc. But unless I missed it and didn't use the search function properly, I've never seen one on worst player cuts. With roster cut downs looming, this year we might be cutting some very good players. Thought it might be fun to look at previous players cut that went on to have long careers with other teams. Surprisingly, I can't think of many, but two stand out.

John Parrella, drafted in the second round 1993, played sparingly that year and cut in 1994. He spent 11 more years in the NFL, mostly starting for San Diego and Oakland. Couple guys named Smith and Hansen may have made him expendable.

And of course, the one that really stands out was Gary Anderson, drafted in the sixth round of 1982 but cut before the start of the season in favor of Nick Mike-Meyer. Not sure if Mike-Meyer survived the season with the Bills or not, but he was gone by 1983. Bills struggled with kickers until landing Scott Norwood in 85. Anderson went on to play for 23 years and was the all time leading scorer at the time of his retirement.

Anyone think of others?

To this day I think there was some sort of back room thing happening that led to Gary Anderson going to Pittsburgh. I watched him play at SU and the guy was a machine, he just didn't miss. When we drafted him, it was well known that there was going to be a strike that year. That put some pressure on rookies to sign their contracts in a hurry or they would have to wait until after the strike to get paid. Anderson's negotiation was reported at the time to have embittered him as he felt the Bills were using the possibility of a strike unfairly. He finally did sign, late, and then came into camp and proceeded to miss every kick he took, even the short ones. He was just awful. The Bills gave up on him and cut him and Pittsburgh couldn't sign him fast enough. He started for them immediately and miraculously recovered his skills. I think his agent worked out something with the Steelers and all Anderson had to do was to make sure the Bills cut him. I'll never believe that a kicker that good could suffer such a convenient and short term loss of ability nor that a team would sigh a rookie kicker who had been a disaster in camp to be their starter so quickly and with no back up plan if his skills didn't miraculously return.

London Fletcher

That's a good one. London was a tackling machine.

The Bills always cut good players that go on to be stars elsewhere.

I think the point of the thread is to name players that should not have been cut and not just a place to provde generic negative comments