Most regrettable Bill's player cuts

Steve O

I've seen threads on worst trades, worst draft picks, etc. But unless I missed it and didn't use the search function properly, I've never seen one on worst player cuts. With roster cut downs looming, this year we might be cutting some very good players. Thought it might be fun to look at previous players cut that went on to have long careers with other teams. Surprisingly, I can't think of many, but two stand out.

John Parrella, drafted in the second round 1993, played sparingly that year and cut in 1994. He spent 11 more years in the NFL, mostly starting for San Diego and Oakland. Couple guys named Smith and Hansen may have made him expendable.

And of course, the one that really stands out was Gary Anderson, drafted in the sixth round of 1982 but cut before the start of the season in favor of Nick Mike-Meyer. Not sure if Mike-Meyer survived the season with the Bills or not, but he was gone by 1983. Bills struggled with kickers until landing Scott Norwood in 85. Anderson went on to play for 23 years and was the all time leading scorer at the time of his retirement.

Anyone think of others?

Edited by Steve O

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only think of Joique Bell, he was UFA the year we drafted Spiller. He has had good production with the Lions, though them drafting Abdullah (kid is electric from the little I saw in his debut) could decrease his touches.

I've seen threads on worst trades, worst draft picks, etc. But unless I missed it and didn't use the search function properly, I've never seen one on worst player cuts. With roster cut downs looming, this year we might be cutting some very good players. Thought it might be fun to look at previous players cut that went on to have long careers with other teams. Surprisingly, I can't think of many, but two stand out.

John Parrella, drafted in the second round 1993, played sparingly that year and cut in 1994. He spent 11 more years in the NFL, mostly starting for San Diego and Oakland. Couple guys named Smith and Hansen may have made him expendable.

And of course, the one that really stands out was Gary Anderson, drafted in the sixth round of 1982 but cut before the start of the season in favor of Nick Mike-Meyer. Not sure if Mike-Meyer survived the season with the Bills or not, but he was gone by 1983. Bills struggled with kickers until landing Scott Norwood in 85. Anderson went on to play for 23 years and was the all time leading scorer at the time of his retirement.

Anyone think of others?

I think Levy always said the worst decision he made was cutting a DB by the name of Brian Jordan, he went on to have a better baseball career but was an alternate to the Pro Bowl in 1991.

Edited by The Jokeman

I think Levy always said the worst decision he made was cutting a DB by the name of Brian Jordan, he went on to have a better baseball career but was an alternate to the Pro Bowl in 1991.

I thought he said that about Dean Cain, who went onto become Superman?

Martin Mayhew... decent CB for the Lions.

He never played with the Lions but he is part of their front office. He played with the Redskins/Bucs. If want to talk front office mistakes what about letting Marc Ross go and think they won 2 Super Bowls afterwards?

Anyone think of others?

Anderson was deliberately trying to be cut.

he was traded, but this preseason with the injuries I will forecast Spikes (not technically a cut, but I'm counting not re-signing as cut in his case)

I am counting every player never signed as cut ... if you can not follow thread, create your own to crusade.

Carrington went on injured reserve during the 2013 season, the final year of his contract. Like Williams, he signed with another team. Lynch was traded, as has been pointed out.

Carrington was basically cut by agent due to unreasonable demands; an agent who already tangled with Bills with ill blood between them and agent due to it.

our own.

Edited by Koolaid

Is this a trick question? Of course it's Da'Rick!

Ha, as soon as I saw the title, this was the obvious answer. Can't believe it took 19 posts to hit it.