Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he will get a chance with another team as a backup. Good luck EJ3.

He'll get a chance with someone else. I don't expect him to do much with it though.

I say that because EJ had every opportunity to run with the job here. Some believe Marrone and Hackett tarnished him. I don't buy that ... if you are good, you usually show improvement from mistakes and weaknesses over time.

EJ has been consistently inconsistent, dating back to FSU.

This offseason was his golden opportunity to take command of a talented team. And by most accounts, he is failing to earn the trust of this staff.

this is why I actually think they play him more, not less, in the preseason if they don't think he he still in the race to win the job ... 1) showcase him for potential trade and 2) if he gets hurt you can IR him. Don't want the other 2 getting hurt if you think they are your guys.

Note: I use the term "showcase" in the general sense and realize he may not look "good"

Good point...play him a bunch against the 2's and let him look good. Target a team with a QB injury and make the move.

I'll go on record.

EJ will make the team.

EJ will start this year for the Bills in at least one game.

Those are definitive to me. I still think EJ starts week 1.

No edits let's see how poor I am at projections....

I agree 100%. Everyone is resigned to the fact that EJ is out because he has been practicing with the 3rd team and Cassel and Tyrod are in because they have been with the 1's and 2's. How about consider that the complete opposite is true. They already know they are keeping EJ so are giving the other 2 players most of the quality reps to decide which among those 2 will be kept as well. That is my thinking. I guess we will see. My bet is he stays. And starts.

^ Correct.

^ Yep. Buddy couldn't get himself comfortable enough with Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson, or Foles to take a shot on them earlier than their respective teams did, and it bit him in the rear.

I continue to believe this as well--$2.5M is a lot of cap space to eat just to cut the guy...maybe they can IR him with a stubbed toe or something?

Funny, three of those QBs were on playoff teams: 1 SuperBowl winner and several Bow/Conf. Champ games and multiple playoff appearances...

He'll get a chance with someone else. I don't expect him to do much with it though.

I say that because EJ had every opportunity to run with the job here. Some believe Marrone and Hackett tarnished him. I don't buy that ... if you are good, you usually show improvement from mistakes and weaknesses over time.

EJ has been consistently inconsistent, dating back to FSU.

This offseason was his golden opportunity to take command of a talented team. And by most accounts, he is failing to earn the trust of this staff.

i said as a "backup." I think he can be trusted to hold a clipboard and contribute to the film room and not fall on his face in garbage time of a game.

True. I'm just tired of fighting city hall on this issue -- apparently the entire NFL community has decided EJ isn't worth the effort, so it's time to move on.

I hear you...Believe me I do...

But after listening to Roman last night on Murph I would honestly be surprised if they cut EJ... I really would... B-)

I don't blame the Bills..... EJ really did looked the part of a NFL QB. Strong, Big, fast, good arm, smart, and mobile. You can be all of that and if you can not hit your targets... your useless to the team

He just could not put it all together. If he increased his accuracy by 10% he would be HOF worthy. But that is often the difference between HOF and a guy soon to be a high school football coach. Slim margins mean everything at the pro level. Like in baseball, if you can hit just one more pitch every 4th at bat your the greatest ever. Miss one hit every 6th at bat and you never see even AAA ball. Drop a extra couple of putts per round and your PGA.... miss those putts and no one has ever heard of you.

Edited by Iraq Vet

I agree 100%. Everyone is resigned to the fact that EJ is out because he has been practicing with the 3rd team and Cassel and Tyrod are in because they have been with the 1's and 2's. How about consider that the complete opposite is true. They already know they are keeping EJ so are giving the other 2 players most of the quality reps to decide which among those 2 will be kept as well. That is my thinking. I guess we will see. My bet is he stays. And starts.

The scenario you are proposing doesn't make much sense. There is only one month left to prepare for the regular season... So we get our starter ready to play and help him develop consistency with our receiving corps by putting him in with the 3s. Got it.

With the essence of the OP's opening statement, I would have to agree. I was one who wanted to hold out after year one, then hope he could put it together last year, and then finally hope he could come into camp and light it up, but alas the writing seems to be on the wall. I STILL hope I'm wrong, but I don't think that's the case. Also, while I believe that EJ certainly has issues with his mechanics and accuracy - which no doubt go hand in hand - I also believe some of the misfortune of being on a team where Kevin Kolb was the projected starter and then being mishandled by Marrone et. al., had as much to do with his QB failure as anything else. I like the kid a lot as a person, and there are moments of brilliance, but I think it's all over but the crying (for him and his staunch supporters). I think the BILLS roll with the lower risk options to manage the game and "hope" they can Draft their Franchise QB next year, which is currently projected to be a very good one for QBs.

this is why I actually think they play him more, not less, in the preseason if they don't think he he still in the race to win the job ... 1) showcase him for potential trade and 2) if he gets hurt you can IR him. Don't want the other 2 getting hurt if you think they are your guys.

Note: I use the term "showcase" in the general sense and realize he may not look "good"

I'd agree if we had a more established offense and not an all new coaching staff.

With the talent and goals this franchise has, can you really afford to give your fading project quarterback every last chance? Given the complex offense including needs at fullback and tight end and ground/pound approach can we afford to keep 3 QBs on the roster? I don't think so and barring an extreme tournaround or injuries, EJ will be cut IMO.

This was more Ol' Buddie's pick, his walk off shot on the way out. He basically stated the same leading up to the pick and the draft saying something like he wanted leave the Bills with their franchise QB before leaving or something like that. Bad, bad selection.

Hard not to like E.J. though.

So they missed on a 1st round QB pick? Go look at the success rate of even 1st round QBs - it isn't good. The Bills are not at all unique in having a busted 1st round QB.

There aren't many really good NFL QBs. When you don't have one, you have to take a shot.

The scenario you are proposing doesn't make much sense. There is only one month left to prepare for the regular season... So we get our starter ready to play and help him develop consistency with our receiving corps by putting him in with the 3s. Got it.

OR, the they are wanting to surprise the rest of the league for the 1st regular season game by putting Cassel and T.T. out there NOW and then, voila!!!

E.J. Manuel!!

You guys read into this stuff all wrong. A team that is not anouncing their starting quarterback till week 1 is not going to be so obvious as to let him start the first preseason game. There's 4 of these, and 4 more weeks of training camp. Everybody has gotten their run with the 1's. EJ has been playing with the 3's lately because that's how the order is with this offense.

He will be on the team, that's my honest belief. I think if Cassel is the starter it's too much of a liability to have an unproven back up as the sole back up as we saw with Jeff Tuel.

Don't look too far into who's starting nowadays. Rex made it clear that they were sharing reps, and I think who starts this game is just as important as who starts the last preseason game.

Let's watch their performances tonight. If EJ looks terrible with the 3's then there's reason to have concern with him. But if he tears it up which I fully expect him to (granted he gets o-line help), then we'll see a whole new rotation next week.

Sadly you are correct

I resign myself to the fact that apparently EJ is no good, never will be, and is on his way out of Buffalo. Good guy, bad QB.

Thanks, Buddy, for the draft pick on your way out.

Go Tyrod.