LAMP - New Position at Work (Need Advice)

CountDorkula

I was just put into a new position at work. This means I will be traveling more. I am looking to collect something from all the places I will travel to.

I thought about shot glasses or a postcard to create a postcard wall picture but that is overdone, and just seems too generic to me.

My question to all of you. What should I collect?

My first stop;

Houston, TX.

collectible spoons....the only way to go

I was just put into a new position at work. This means I will be traveling more. I am looking to collect something from all the places I will travel to.

I thought about shot glasses or a postcard to create a postcard wall picture but that is overdone, and just seems too generic to me.

My first stop;

Houston, TX.

My first stop;

Houston, TX.

STDs

I've never been a collector for traveling. My mission is always to eat a very authentic version of the food they're "known for," i.e. - deep dish pizza in Chicago; cheesesteak in Philly, etc.

I like Pooj's spoon idea. Not as fun as Plenz's, but would cost less in the long run.

STDs

But how would I identify what STD is from where?

Unless you are suggesting I go to the hospital in each place and take a vial of blood with town label home with me. Which could get very pricey, like Gugny suggests.

Selfie with hooker.

OK, lets run with this. Once I take said picture I could then print it on some cloth and have my fiance make a memory quilt?

How often will you be traveling to Buffalo?

To start once a month.

Once every two-three months after that most likely.

bitches...ground up and in the freezer, with each freezer baggie accurately labeled and charted.

Thought about it, I would need to by one of those chest freezers and then provide extra insulation and an AC unit in the garage for the hot May-September months here so the freezer does not crap out.

Also expensive.

Most every city you visit will have a bar/tavern where they sell local microbrews. Each of those breweries and bars usually serve your beer in a pint glass with the local brewery name on it (or some other brand)

Start collecting the pint glass from each bar you visit. Bartenders rarely keep track of them and they don't pay anything for the pint glass anyway (the brewery supplies them). Put a sticker on the bottom of each pint with the name of the bar and the date visited. Wear a baggy windbreaker or other jacket to take home your memento.

Most every city you visit will have a bar/tavern where they sell local microbrews. Each of those breweries and bars usually serve your beer in a pint glass with the local brewery name on it (or some other brand)

Start collecting the pint glass from each bar you visit. Bartenders rarely keep track of them and they don't pay anything for the pint glass anyway (the brewery supplies them). Put a sticker on the bottom of each pint with the name of the bar and the date visited. Wear a baggy windbreaker or other jacket to take home your memento.

Finally a good suggestion. Thanks BBF.

Everyone else, F(*%& you. (said with love)

collectible spoons....the only way to go

Spoons are hard to come by, but it seems every airport has a gift shop with shot glasses.

Something I do when on the road, is not collect something, but go see something. Currently, I'm working on this list....

http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/america-s-oldest-bars-the-oldest-bar-in-all-50-us-states-and-washington-dc

Plus there's always things on the Travel Channel, like best burger joints, pizza, etc.

Another thing, if you have an iPhone (there may be a Android equal) get this app...

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/mobile/roadside/ios/

It will take your current location and show you some of the quirky things near where you are. I ended up buying all the regions since I travel so much.

Also, sign up for whatever airline you'll use frequent flyer program and also any hotel programs so you can get the points/miles.

My first stop;

Houston, TX.

Hotel room key fobs/cards.I knew a truck driver who kept a room key fob from every single motel he stayed at and put them on a wall behind the basement bar.

Drink coasters are often pretty easy to find and cheap. They can come with scenic pictures of the area, sports teams, local breweries, art from art galleries in the area, etc. Usually come in sets of 4 with different pictures on them. Easy to display.

I also like the pint glass idea. Personally, I do coffee mugs often if I can find ones I like because I actually use them every day.

Wear a baggy windbreaker or other jacket to take home your memento.

Holy Good Lord... I am not that much of a stick in the mud and have a few things here and there. But habitual wearing of baggy windbreakers, etc...? Wake up in the morning and say: "I wonder who I am gonna pilfer from?" That would get old... We don't want him to get desensitized?

Then ontop of it, it is all tracked on the bottom of the glass... LMAO... Why don't you just take 8x10 color glossy photos with words on the back and arrows on the front?

Count, if you go w/this plan... You should maybe get in a habit of asking them first or see if you can give them a "donation." That way your conscience is clear.

One or two isn't a problem... LoL... ;-) ;-)

Selfie with hooker.

LMAO. Make sure you have her sign the confidentality agreement first. Oh wait, they're a hooker!

Holy Good Lord... I am not that much of a stick in the mud and have a few things here and there. But habitual wearing of baggy windbreakers, etc...? Wake up in the morning and say: "I wonder who I am gonna pilfer from?" That would get old... We don't want him to get desensitized?

LOL

My first stop;

Houston, TX.

Bring home a TRBJ of your very own.

Finally a good suggestion. Thanks BBF.

Everyone else, F(*%& you. (said with love)

He told you to steal and you give the fine people of OTW the big FU? For shame Count.

Bring home a TRBJ of your very own.

He told you to steal and you give the fine people of OTW the big FU? For shame Count.

My deepest apologies. I have many bar glasses, I may have been a bar glass klepto at one point. Had females put glasses in their purses. They don't pay for those promotion glasses F&*( them

At least he didn't give me the idea of Shot glasses after i said no shot glasses. That guy is an IDIOT!

My deepest apologies. I have many bar glasses, I may have been a bar glass klepto at one point. Had females put glasses in their purses. They don't pay for those promotion glasses F&*( them

At least he didn't give me the idea of Shot glasses after i said no shot glasses. That guy is an IDIOT!

i can't tell you how I read "put glasses in their purses."

LMAO... Sorry for being the harbinger of moral behavior. He he... I like that: "bar glass kelpto." I just drew the line @ making my daily wardrobe decisions around baggy windbreakers and ran w/the rest. Sorry Fergy. :-P

I simply couldn't exist like that... LoL... I am too free form and flakey! :-)

Please do!

/devil...

LMAO... Sorry for being the harbinger of moral behavior. He he... I like that: "bar glass kelpto." I just drew the line @ making my daily wardrobe decisions around baggy windbreakers and ran w/the rest. Sorry Fergy. :-P

I simply couldn't exist like that... LoL... I am too free form and flakey! :-)

Please do!

/devil...

Let's do the math: Tavern owner buys 3 kegs of "Exiled in Illinois India Pale Ale" and 2 kegs of "Exiled in Illinois Angel Halo Lager" at a cost of $250. The distributor says..." Hey, here's 100 pint glasses with EII and a halo on it...use these at your bar. So the glasses cost zero, the bar marks the $250 cost up to $500 in total sales and CountDorkula can't swipe a damn pint glass? If anything, he'll be sure to return to that bar the next time and enjoy himself. But if the EII Angel Halo Lager tastes like ****, he probably won't keep the glass. :)

Let's do the math: Tavern owner buys 3 kegs of "Exiled in Illinois India Pale Ale" and 2 kegs of "Exiled in Illinois Angel Halo Lager" at a cost of $250. The distributor says..." Hey, here's 100 pint glasses with EII and a halo on it...use these at your bar. So the glasses cost zero, the bar marks the $250 cost up to $500 in total sales and CountDorkula can't swipe a damn pint glass? If anything, he'll be sure to return to that bar the next time and enjoy himself. But if the EII Angel Halo Lager tastes like ****, he probably won't keep the glass. :)

LMAO... I am not worthy!

I can't stop laughing...

:w00t: This is awesome.

Sure you can, you are a mod. You are above the law.....

There's only one thing to bring home from all that travel: points.

Pick a hotel. Pick an airline. Do your best to stick with them at every option, even if it's a bit inconvenient.

Watch how fast you get upgrades, free trips, and hotel rooms. Put mobile apps to work as well. Leave no stone unturned.

There's only one thing to bring home from all that travel: points.

Pick a hotel. Pick an airline. Do your best to stick with them at every option, even if it's a bit inconvenient.

Watch how fast you get upgrades, free trips, and hotel rooms. Put mobile apps to work as well. Leave no stone unturned.

Well that is the plan. I have my venture one card so that will help. The good thing is if I spend so much i get bonus points. And I get reimbursed through work, so its a win win.

old couches found on street curbs

This seems odd, unless I'm building a giant fort with cushions (Which I'm not against) I am not sure how I would be able decipher which cushion is from where?

Well that is the plan. I have my venture one card so that will help. The good thing is if I spend so much i get bonus points. And I get reimbursed through work, so its a win win.

I will add...whatever airline you will fly the most , couple of things to investigate

1) look at the branded cards they offer. May be worth it to just grab the points and perks....but depends on your situation .

2) investigate if you can buy status up front . I did this with USAIRWAYS and it was great. Paid like $250 for Gold Status I think and then had 6 months to accumulate the miles/ segments. It proved well worth while. Not sure now they are AA if they still offer, or if others do, put investigate. Will make that first 6 months more bearable

3) whatever airline you plan on flying, join that airlines club. Couple of reasons. Free beer, even though it is chit beer. Most important agents that can help immediately when planes late/ cancelled etc. can overstate how valuable this is. Also , several of the cards I mentioned in 1 either come with free or discounted membership...make sure to check it out.

4) last thing, and this sound counter intuitive..but if you are flying a commuter into a hub to connect and have a tight layover, consider checking your bag. Waiting for your carry one on a jetway has caused me to miss the connecting flight. I fly USAirways, and connect either Charlotte or Philly. Both commuters terminals a good 15 minutes at least to main gates....waiting on that carry on can cost you way more than waiting at baggage claim at your end destination.

My first stop;

Houston, TX.

Avoid clutter. Just get photographs.

I come from a family that likes to travel a lot.

My mother collected spoons

My sister preferred shot glasses

My brother liked the refrigerator magnets (almost had every state)

I just kept the different currencies from other countries (before the Euro)

The only thing that survived after all these years are the pictures.

Personally, I would nab something that reminds you of a place immediately. If you're a drinker, probably the bar glass, or coaster. A to go menu at a restaurant if you visit the same cities over and over (because you will remember the food and will want to visit it again. Food/drink/people are usually what sticks in your mind the most. Focus on those things- ie a hotel key from a hookup)

A fun thing to keep on your man cave wall is a large map with push pins in cities you've visited. (The map will be hard to find these days) The pins add up quick. Much more entertaining for guests than a wall of shot glasses.

I come from a family that likes to travel a lot.

My mother collected spoons

My sister preferred shot glasses

My brother liked the refrigerator magnets (almost had every state)

I just kept the different currencies from other countries (before the Euro)

The only thing that survived after all these years are the pictures.

Personally, I would nab something that reminds you of a place immediately. If you're a drinker, probably the bar glass, or coaster. A to go menu at a restaurant if you visit the same cities over and over (because you will remember the food and will want to visit it again. Food/drink/people are usually what sticks in your mind the most. Focus on those things- ie a hotel key from a hookup)

A fun thing to keep on your man cave wall is a large map with push pins in cities you've visited. (The map will be hard to find these days) The pins add up quick. Much more entertaining for guests than a wall of shot glasses.

Took me 10 seconds.

Not being a smart ass.

Edit: I cant lie. I'm a fast typer. It took me 5 seconds.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl