More Good PR For Florida State QB's

LB3

I've heard 3 different versions.

1) that it originated with cockney rhyming slang, "cocked" = "knocked"

2) that it originated with early firearms, where the priming gunpowder needed to be touched off with a match, the firearm was loaded and "cold cocked", then fired

3) that it originated with rooster-fighting, where a "cold rooster" was "dead"

You'd think it was synonymous with "nub."

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I tend to be leary of anyone who starts a post with "He decked her because she..."

I kind of go with what follows the phrase:

"because she grabbed a claw hammer from her purse and raised her arm to swing at him" self defense, check

"because she pulled a knife and threatened to stab him" self defense, check

"because she knocked his sister down and was kicking her in the head" defense of family, similar, check.

"because his lawyer says she called him a (slur) and she took a wild swing at him" ummmm, not so much, sorry, can't see it. Doesn't mean she was in the right or shouldn't be charged with crimes, just doesn't justify the response as "self defense"

Why you give a female more leniency than you would a similarly situated male.

Well, first of all why would you assume that? Has there been another situation similar to this one where the victim was male and I did not defend him similarly?

Secondly, thanks to the Violence Against Women Act of 1994, men and women are not always looked at as equals in the eyes of the law. I don't even think that applies in this case but that would be a reason for leniency in other similar cases.

Well, first of all why would you assume that? Has there been another situation similar to this one where the victim was male and I did not defend him similarly?

Secondly, thanks to the Violence Against Women Act of 1994, men and women are not always looked at as equals in the eyes of the law. I don't even think that applies in this case but that would be a reason for leniency in other similar cases.

I'm not asking for your opinion on what the state of the law is. I'm asking if you see a moral distinction between the leniency you allow a woman and that which you allow a similarly situated male, and if so why.

I'm not asking for your opinion on what the state of the law is. I'm asking if you see a moral distinction between the leniency you allow a woman and that which you allow a similarly situated male, and if so why.

I've intentionally kept away from the moral perspective in this thread because it's so relative and that's where the emotions come into play. If I was forced to answer your question I would say yes because men are generally bigger and stronger than women. But that isn't always the case so as always it should come down to contextual circumstances.

In the opinion of the prosecutor, the drunkard committed no crime.

"In the wide discretion of prosecutor Wille Meggs, those arguments have fallen flat.

Via the Tallahassee Democrat, Meggs believes that Johnson initiated the contact with the woman, and that the woman was acting in self-defense. She will face no charges.

“A person’s entitled to use self-defense if they’re being battered by someone else, and she certainly was entitled to do what she did,” Meggs said. “She didn’t commit a crime is the reason she’s not charged with a crime.”"

In the opinion of the prosecutor, the drunkard committed no crime.

"In the wide discretion of prosecutor Wille Meggs, those arguments have fallen flat.

Via the Tallahassee Democrat, Meggs believes that Johnson initiated the contact with the woman, and that the woman was acting in self-defense. She will face no charges.

“A person’s entitled to use self-defense if they’re being battered by someone else, and she certainly was entitled to do what she did,” Meggs said. “She didn’t commit a crime is the reason she’s not charged with a crime.”"

486c2b61a7d73d6250b6bc26ecb948c9.gif

Here's my take on the video:

The vibe at the bar was perfectly fine before they walked into the frame. Blonde girl is clearly tipsy, Johnson actually looks sober.

It's starting to get crowded and he's definitely pushing into her like she's not there. Having been in this situation many times before, I assure you that one thing I can't stand is when some a-hole behind you keeps pushing.

She turns around and says something sassy. He says something back but at this point is waiting for the other girl to walk past so he can get the spot at the bar next to her. It's tight and the other girl is struggling to get through. He keeps pushing and suddenly the blonde snaps and turns around aggressively with her fist cocked, lunging forward and ready to go. I would argue the pointed thumb is not her pointing at the bartender, but simply how girls hold their fists (perhaps as a bluff). THIS is the moment everything escalated. It went from half-hearted passive-aggressive yapping to threatening a fight.

His instinct is to grab her arm. I'd like to say I wouldn't have done that but watching the video from his perspective, her body language is very aggressive. I might have done the same. You can read her lips yelping out "HEYYYYY" in a drunk way as they struggle. She then kicks and gives a 50% effort punch. She's dragged him into a crappy situation.

This is where he screws up. He hits her with full force then leaves really fast. He can't do that and having seen many guys being in similar situations, a strong push and a walk away is in order. Yeah, people might take that the wrong way and kick you out, but at least you can blame it on her and say you didn't hit her.

So summary: She's drunk, he's probably not. He's being a bit of a d*ck pushing (but this is college, that's how it is sometimes). They yap pretty harmlessly. He keeps pushing while trying to squeeze in. She snaps and lunges forward aggressively with fist cocked. He grabs her hand. She kicks and punches. He nails her.

Honestly, to me, it seems like unfortunate circumstances right until the end. He should have just pushed her strongly and walked away. That might've got him in trouble, but it's better than what he did. Entitled drunk girls are a way of life. You need to be smarter.

I'd suspend him then give him another chance. You don't know where these kids come from and how they were raised. You're not recruiting them for academic reasons. I'd keep him on a tiny leash, but I'd give him another shot. But in 2015, race and gender PR is more important than doing the right thing.

Edited by musichunch

It would be interesting to know what he said to her when they were yapping........

Who actually touched who first?

One thing is for sure....she will probably think twice about throwing a half hearted punch against some male she does not know.........my advice to her would be get the bartenders attention....I bet this place had some form of security.

It would be interesting to know what he said to her when they were yapping........

Who actually touched who first?

One thing is for sure....she will probably think twice about throwing a half hearted punch against some male she does not know.........my advice to her would be get the bartenders attention....I bet this place had some form of security.

I'm wondering why she felt she had the right to block his access to the open space to her left, to the point of getting into a fist-fight with him.

I'm wondering why she felt she had the right to block his access to the open space to her left, to the point of getting into a fist-fight with him.

I found that weird too. What be did, putting his arm out to a section of the bar to hold his place, is a common move.

I found that weird too. What be did, putting his arm out to a section of the bar to hold his place, is a common move.

It's clear that he's trying to get to that open space. He asks/tells the brunette girl to move and she does slightly and reaches for that open area of the bar, but she moves over slightly to block him and then gets all pissed.

It's hard to tell because you can't see what either are doing with their other hands out of camera view. From what we can see, he obviously grabbed her arm because he felt she was going to throw a punch....that is confirmed when she actually throws the first punch. So the prosecutor thinks he was just grappling with the drunk girl for the fun of it? And then she punched him in self defense? :blink: I don't think he should've punched her, he should have just walked away to a different spot at the bar (even if there wasn't any). However she threw the first punch. They should both be charged at that point, it's good to know if someone grabs my arm, I have license to punch them. If she was grabbing his arms and holding them, and he punched her, I have no doubt, he would still most certainly be the one charged in that way for escalating it into a fist fight.

Edited by What a Tuel

Starting RB Dalvin Cook being investigated for battery of a woman the day before the Johnson video came out. She's pressing charges.

Yeesh. This one will hurt Jimbo. He's their starting RB, and very good.

@BruceFeldmanCFB: Ugly details: A woman tells http://t.co/HQdVVRULKS that #FSU star Dalvin Cook punched her in the face several times. http://t.co/X2WHIhqjKI

I always get a snake oil salesman vibe with Jimbo. Like they will eventually be found guilty of all kinds of recruiting violations. Just a feeling I get.

Guys named Jimbo seem very trustworthy. :)

Sadly, this is what college football has become. Anything to win. It's why I have so much respect for Stanford. Top program with good kids and a high academic standards.

WOW Skurski needs to check himself. I'm seriously appalled.

@JaySkurski: This woman wouldn't give out her phone number. Clearly she is provoking this #FSU player. #thingsRonaldDarbymightsay http://t.co/Ptao5iF4eH

I never thought that there could be a bigger ass than Bucky on the news, but Skurski is giving Bucky, Harrington and Sully a run for their money. That's such a stupid thing to say. Edited by Kelly the Dog

I never thought that there could be a bigger ass than Bucky on the news, but Skurski is giving Bucky, Harrington and Sully a run for their money. That's such a stupid thing to say.

i just unfollowed him. That was just ridiculous and I never see any good info from him as it is.

I never thought that there could be a bigger ass than Bucky on the news, but Skurski is giving Bucky, Harrington and Sully a run for their money. That's such a stupid thing to say.

The News must have its sports writers take continuing education in snark.

I really hope that the new guy does not lower himself to this level. He and Vic need to stay away from TBN sports writers staff meetings.

These dudes are such clowns. Talk all kinds of crap and act like little girls if a player gets upset with them.

But if a player did really confront one of these weasals, they are the bad guys. Gotta be hard to work in a dying industry.

I reported his tweet as targeted harassment.

Honestly - I don't get fired up about a lot,but I agree. He should be fired. He's accusing Darby of something that is very serious and totally attacking his character in social media. Indefensible.

FYI - it looks like Jerkski deleted his tweet

Edited by YoloinOhio

Honestly - I don't get fired up about a lot,but I agree. He should be fired. He's accusing Darby of something that is very serious and totally attacking his character in social media. Indefensible.

FYI - it looks like Jerkski deleted his tweet

For the best. He didn't even have the gonads to tag Darby in it. That tweet was a special level of low, even for a member of the media.

The good news is that, after the justified criticism that FSU and the Tally police department got as a result of the Jameis Winston matter, they seem to be taking these types of things more seriously. They really mishandled (either intentionally or otherwise) the Winston "investigation."

The incident that came out a few days ago reminded me of when Deion Sanders and his wife lived in the same mansion while they were separated. She apparently started hitting him during an argument and he ran away. As I recall, people gave him grief for running away. I was never much of a Deion fan, but that had to be one of the smartest things that he could have done.

As a guy (and I have told this to my oldest son), nothing good could ever come from even physical self defense in such a situation. You are better off just removing yourself from the situation.

The good news is that, after the justified criticism that FSU and the Tally police department got as a result of the Jameis Winston matter, they seem to be taking these types of things more seriously. They really mishandled (either intentionally or otherwise) the Winston "investigation."

The incident that came out a few days ago reminded me of when Deion Sanders and his wife lived in the same mansion while they were separated. She apparently started hitting him during an argument and he ran away. As I recall, people gave him grief for running away. I was never much of a Deion fan, but that had to be one of the smartest things that he could have done.

As a guy (and I have told this to my oldest son), nothing good could ever come from even physical self defense in such a situation. You are better off just removing yourself from the situation.

Deion always ran away from contact. ;)

But good for him. Smart and hopefully his wife got charged.

Interesting news I read a moment ago: Dalvin Cook (star RB) suspended whereas the other guy was kicked off the team. I guess Jimbo really does not want to lose his star RB.

Deion always ran away from contact. ;)

But good for him. Smart and hopefully his wife got charged.

Well done sir!

Interesting news I read a moment ago: Dalvin Cook (star RB) suspended whereas the other guy was kicked off the team. I guess Jimbo really does not want to lose his star RB.

Well done sir!

Could just be the power of video evidence vs. spoken testimony. (not that I agree with it)

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Could just be the power of video evidence vs. spoken testimony. (not that I agree with it)

True but do you think Fisher kicks Winston off the team the previous two years? I doubt it. This guy will be "suspended" for 1 or 2 cake walk games against Our Sisters of the Poor and Jimbo will claim he learned his lesson.

I know you get paid well but college coaching is so slimy.

Video evidence is far more reliable. Testimony is notoriously unreliable. Memories are inexact; motives, trustworthiness, and bias can come into play. But the camera doesn't lie.