Rodak's Bubble 2015

If kujo starts and they bring in a vet as swing.....

I like Henderson as the 3rd guy up but he wasn't exactly great. If he takes a step forward- awesome. If he takes a step back he could be gone

He was a rookie who started and played adequately with no support by his side. He'd have to take a HUGE step back to get cut, I think.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a rookie who started and played adequately with no support by his side. He'd have to take a HUGE step back to get cut, I think.

Vic made a pretty good point in his BN mailbag that we really have four players that need huge contracts and we probably can't keep all of them between Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn and Bradham. They aren't all due right now and it's possible to keep them all but that would eliminate most chance at paying some one else at another position. So Glenn may be the guy who leaves because 1) LTs make so much, and 2) it's possible that Kujo is a good RT and Henderson can develop into the LT. That's one of the reasons they are playing him so much at LT. They want to know if Kujo can do it and they want to know if Hendy can man the LT side a year or two from now if necessary.

i have to disagree there. He has looked great according to everyone. He's a camp hero too so I don't see that changing in TC.

I don't predict it. But if we keep four TEs as has been mentioned numerous times and even predicted recently by Chris Brown, we may very well only keep 5 WR with one of them being Easley. If that is the case then either Goodwin or Hogan goes.

That said, my prediction is that they keep 4 RB, 1 FB, 3 TE, and 6 WR.

It's also quite possible that the TE and WR issue is going to affect the QB position. I think the team was planning on keep 3. It's possible that they may only be able to keep 2 because they really don't want to cut Hogan or, say, Boobie or even Fred regardless of TP's affection for him. We are going to have some tough cuts to make. I think Karlos Williams makes this team. We don't need four RB. More and more I'm thinking that one of the three QBs vying for the starting role may be cut or traded for a late pick to a team who has injury probably close to the season opener.

Vic made a pretty good point in his BN mailbag that we really have four players that need huge contracts and we probably can't keep all of them between Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn and Bradham. They aren't all due right now and it's possible to keep them all but that would eliminate most chance at paying some one else at another position. So Glenn may be the guy who leaves because 1) LTs make so much, and 2) it's possible that Kujo is a good RT and Henderson can develop into the LT. That's one of the reasons they are playing him so much at LT. They want to know if Kujo can do it and they want to know if Hendy can man the LT side a year or two from now if necessary.

I don't predict it. But if we keep four TEs as has been mentioned numerous times and even predicted recently by Chris Brown, we may very well only keep 5 WR with one of them being Easley. If that is the case then either Goodwin or Hogan goes.

It's also quite possible that the TE and WR issue is going to affect the QB position. I think the team was planning on keep 3. It's possible that they may only be able to keep 2 because they really don't want to cut Hogan or, say, Boobie or even Fred regardless of TP's affection for him. We are going to have some tough cuts to make. I think Karlos Williams makes this team. We don't need four RB. More and more I'm thinking that one of the three QBs vying for the starting role may be cut or traded for a late pick to a team who has injury probably close to the season opener.

If Gay proves a competent punter we could see Schmidt cut for an extra skill player

If Gay proves a competent punter we could see Schmidt cut for an extra skill player

That could be a burned out leg by the end of the of the season, maybe even just the end of the game.

I have a bad feeling Chris Hogan is on that bubble as well

Lal has said he was our best route runner. Rex Ryan seems to champion underdog's like Connor, Leonhard, etc. Hogan will be on this team.

Or vice-versa perhaps? I'm not sure what kind of progress Gay is making on punting or Schmidt with KOs. But I believe I'd rather give up a little on KOs to have a superior punter.

This may seem like an ignorant remark (and it may in fact be one), but with the KOs coming from the 35 yard line, is it really that much to ask for your PK or P to do a reasonable job with it? I feel like that would be a major focus of upcoming kickers.

@mikerodak: Why do I believe Matt Cassel is on the bubble? In 6 practices I watched:

+ Inaccurate

+ Forced throws into coverage

+ Intercepted too often

@mikerodak: As for Seantrel Henderson being on the bubble, there are glaring red flags that this coaching staff is very low on him. Ground to make up.

@mikerodak: Why do I believe Matt Cassel is on the bubble? In 6 practices I watched:

+ Inaccurate

+ Forced throws into coverage

+ Intercepted too often

@mikerodak: As for Seantrel Henderson being on the bubble, there are glaring red flags that this coaching staff is very low on him. Ground to make up.

This is surely blind optimism and glass half full stuff, but everyone learning a whole new offense and one of the most complicated to boot, at this early juncture, assures these guys are thinking more than just playing and it's going to take time

This is surely blind optimism and glass half full stuff, but everyone learning a whole new offense and one of the most complicated to boot, at this early juncture, assures these guys are thinking more than just playing and it's going to take time

True, but an 11-year vet having the hardest time isn't good.

True, but an 11-year vet having the hardest time isn't good.

That is true, too. I guarantee he will get better though. It may not be enough.

Again, I think they planned on keeping three QBs when the traded for Meh and signed Taylor and had little idea what they had in EJ with no history with or obligation to him. But the trade for McCoy, the signing of Harvin, the close look at Goodwin and the drafting of K Williams could easily have changed that to keeping two.

You can get a Matt Cassel every off-season if both of your QBs suck and you can't draft one. You can get a Matt Simms every day of both of your QBs get hurt. I think we might roll with two of EJ and TT look good.

This was discussed in another tread at length: Basically I have Goodwin on the bubble, Hogan stays as he was somewhat productive last year. IMO

True, but every other team stayed away from him, due to his issues or attitude between the ears. He was said to be 1st round talent, yet almost went un-drafted...

Draft: 2014 7th round (22nd pick) by the Buffalo Bills

I would bet he starts again at right tackle unless he completely implodes.

I'll be plenty upset with releasing Cassel if they don't replace him with another veteran QB with playing experience.

You beat me.

I beat you both if we are keeping score

i think he just keeps on keepin on. no bubble for Hogan

its tough.

i am okay with this.

Edited by 3rdand12

The defense, minus maybe one or two depth players I agree is settled, however, the QB, and O-Line is nowhere near settled without even seeing pads on. Rodak is a moron! Not to mention WR's and TE's... Pads mean everything, and pre-season games mean even more. We carry 90 guys, and we keep them as long as we can. Cassel being on the bubble in June is just nonsense, nothing to see here.

Tim-

@mikerodak: Matt Cassel and Seantrel Henderson have moved onto the Bills roster bubble. Heres why: http://t.co/x1SCG51m8K

In fairness to Rodak, I mocked him for putting mike Williams on the bubble last year. Turns out he was close on that.

I'll be pissed if they give up on Sentrel Henderson already, especially for someone like Wayne Hunter.

I would have a serious problem cutting Meh. They Knew exactly how mediocre he was when they traded picks for him. Nothing has changed.

+1

I'll be pissed if they give up on Sentrel Henderson already, especially for someone like Wayne Hunter.

Especially with the talk of not paying Glenn at the end of the season (they have to decide who to pay between Dareus, Nigel, Gilmore and Glenn).

Cassel is still rehabbing from broken bones in his foot from Sept game. I would hope he's ok by regular season.

Worries me until Glenn is re-signed. The OL needs help as it is.

I was not impressed with Wayne Hunter as a OT (looks like he last played in 2012).

Too early to give up on Henderson, Cyrus with arthritic knee is still a ?

There is no question, I think, that the Bills expected Meh to learn the offense the quickest and perform most consistently during OTAs. I presume their hope was that either EJ or TT would also perform at a respectable level.

That, I believe, forms the basis for most of the local and national media types projecting that the Bills "hoped" Meh would win the job.

What actually occurred at OTAs, however, is pretty much the opposite of what was expected. Meh has been terrible, TT has been so-so, and EJ has actually shown the most improvement.

Could these developments have significantly changed the Bills' thinking heading into TC?

My answer -- probably a bit, but less than we might presume. The coaching staff knows the difference between playing in shorts and playing real football. They are likely surprised and a bit disappointed in Meh's performance so far, but they truly will "reserve judgment" until the pads are on.

Heading into OTAs Meh was probably "penciled in" as having a 75% chance to be the starter. Now he's probably 50-60% in the coaches' minds, but he's still the favorite "on paper."

It would take a dumpster fire type of performance during TC and preseason for Meh to be cut -- in my opinion.

There is no question, I think, that the Bills expected Meh to learn the offense the quickest and perform most consistently during OTAs. I presume their hope was that either EJ or TT would also perform at a respectable level.

That, I believe, forms the basis for most of the local and national media types projecting that the Bills "hoped" Meh would win the job.

What actually occurred at OTAs, however, is pretty much the opposite of what was expected. Meh has been terrible, TT has been so-so, and EJ has actually shown the most improvement.

Could these developments have significantly changed the Bills' thinking heading into TC?

My answer -- probably a bit, but less than we might presume. The coaching staff knows the difference between playing in shorts and playing real football. They are likely surprised and a bit disappointed in Meh's performance so far, but they truly will "reserve judgment" until the pads are on.

Heading into OTAs Meh was probably "penciled in" as having a 75% chance to be the starter. Now he's probably 50-60% in the coaches' minds, but he's still the favorite "on paper."

It would take a dumpster fire type of performance during TC and preseason for Meh to be cut -- in my opinion.

Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Maybe. Yep. Yep. Yep. Probably. Probably. And probably.

I have a strong hunch Matt Simms makes the team given that Ryan obviously likes him and had him on his roster the last two seasons. The Bills are not going to carry 4 QBs. Something has to give. If Simms in fact ends up on the roster, I think Cassel, who is showing to them that he's not mediocre but below average, probably doesn't make the team. After all, Simms joined the team after Cassel looked like crap in the early OTAs (not that the others looked great).

Edited by dave mcbride

I have a strong hunch Matt Simms makes the team given that Ryan obviously likes him and had him on his roster the last two seasons. The Bills are not going to carry 4 QBs. Something has to give. If Simms in fact ends up on the roster, I think Cassel, who is showing to them that he's not mediocre but below average, probably doesn't make the team. After all, Simms joined the team after Cassel looked like crap in the early OTAs (not that the others looked great).

simms may be PS eligible. He was on the Jets PS last year. If he isn't, I don't think he makes it.

simms may be PS eligible. He was on the Jets PS last year. If he isn't, I don't think he makes it.

I don't think he's eligible -- he's played in games in each the past two seasons: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SimmMa00.htm .

Edit: I'm not sure how many games he was active for the past two seasons. Here are the rules:

"A player can be eligible if he does not have an accrued season in the NFL, although the NFL has now approved a maximum of two spots on the PS for players with no more than two accrued seasons. To have an accrued season, you have to be active for at least six regular-season games. A player can also go to the practice squad with an accrued season provided they were on the 45-man active roster for less than nine-regular season games."

Edited by dave mcbride

hmmm interesting. Well, I guess we will find out!

Dave mentioned he was brought up to the active roster after game 8. I just looked at two random games, the Bills and the Patriots** in the second half of the season and he wasn't active for either of those two games. So he should indeed be eligible.

Dave mentioned he was brought up to the active roster after game 8. I just looked at two random games, the Bills and the Patriots** in the second half of the season and he wasn't active for either of those two games. So he should indeed be eligible.

Aha. He wasn't eligible for any games (go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_New_York_Jets_season and click on the gamebooks for each game: i.e., http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/56415/MIA_Gamebook.pdf). That said, he played in one, which means that he became active for one after it started.

Isn't there a rule where a 3rd string QB counts as inactive but can come in in emergency situations, with the starting QB barred from coming back in again? Seems like a clever way to get around the PS rule for QBs.

Anyway, it now seems like he may have another year of eligibility.

Still, Ryan has kept just 2 qbs on a roster more than once in the past.

Edited by dave mcbride

+2. Not funny anymore.

Along with "IN" wondering if that is considered humor? Since one poster especially seems to use it almost if not daily?

The day you're the arbiter of what is and isn't funny is the day comedy dies.

Aha. He wasn't eligible for any games (go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_New_York_Jets_season and click on the gamebooks for each game: i.e., http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/56415/MIA_Gamebook.pdf). That said, he played in one, which means that he became active for one after it started.

Isn't there a rule where a 3rd string QB counts as inactive but can come in in emergency situations, with the starting QB barred from coming back in again? Seems like a clever way to get around the PS rule for QBs.

Anyway, it now seems like he may have another year of eligibility.

Still, Ryan has kept just 2 qbs on a roster more than once in the past.

Yeah I don't know how the new rule works. Although I assume that if you are not one of the first two, and "active," on game day it counts the same as any other position. And the 3rd QB concept of active players just helps teams keep one extra guy active. But if you come into the game it counts as a "active" like the one Simms played in.

With this in mind, the signing of Simms, and him eligible for the PS makes a lot more sense. They obviously saw what most of us saw in Tuel, that he probably doesn't even belong in the league. But Ryan knows Simms pretty well, and he has a strong arm. So, if any one of our three truly craps the bed, or any two of our three really look decent, then we can cut Simms and the bedcrapper or third guy, and then sign Simms to the PS and go into games with only two.

Yeah I don't know how the new rule works. Although I assume that if you are not one of the first two, and "active," on game day it counts the same as any other position. And the 3rd QB concept of active players just helps teams keep one extra guy active. But if you come into the game it counts as a "active" like the one Simms played in.

With this in mind, the signing of Simms, and him eligible for the PS makes a lot more sense. They obviously saw what most of us saw in Tuel, that he probably doesn't even belong in the league. But Ryan knows Simms pretty well, and he has a strong arm. So, if any one of our three truly craps the bed, or any two of our three really look decent, then we can cut Simms and the bedcrapper or third guy, and then sign Simms to the PS and go into games with only two.

Yep. I won't be surprised if one of the three are cut and Simms serves as the PS third guy in reserve. I can see Rex going with two, especially given that none of them are really any good. If it comes down to, say, Fred Jackson v. Cassel and Cassel performs poorly in the preseason, then the decision seems simple to me. Keep Fred.

It would take tremendous circumstances for Cassel to be cut. Henderson to me has nothing to worry about till pads come on. Even if Kujo takes the RT spot (Which despite his training and mini-camp showing doesn't mean much till the pads come on) Henderson still will be the swing tackle. The team needs depth along the O-line, Henderson can provide that depth.