Something to watch with regard to Marrone

If he was so terrible, why did the Bills have their first winning season in a decade? I realize people don't like him, and he's not a great coach. But saying he's terrible is an emotional reaction, not an analytical one.

I think they had accrued enough talent, and the division was weak enough, that the Bills finally overcame some of their difficulties. Chan Gailey could have done it with the same team, too. Lots of crap coaches could have had a winning season with that talent to work with.

Good question. I hear crickets.......

see above

If he was so terrible, why did the Bills have their first winning season in a decade? I realize people don't like him, and he's not a great coach. But saying he's terrible is an emotional reaction, not an analytical one.

The simple answer is we had a great defense and STs.

More in depth, Lions kicker missed out on 9 points and still needed a game winning FG to win. Almost lost to Vikings but Hogan made a hell of a play to get them to the 1 yard line, Pats** backups in week 17. The packers game could have easily been one sided also if Nelson didn't drop that pass either.

He was an offensive minded coach that couldn't run an offense.

BTW i never disliked Nate. I think he still has a chance for success, in a better environment of course ! Its a small world , the NFL coaching realm. Nate is now IN.

thats a good thing for him. His association with Douger, not so much.

The Marrone / Hackett partnership is not much different than the Ryan / Thurman / Pettine partnership. While Thurman / Pettine is / was carrying the title of DC, Ryan is the mastermind behind the defense. Same with Hackett, Marrone runs the show. Without Marrone, Hackett would be unemployed. It's just unfortunate that Hackett ended up with Marrone as his security blanket, if the reports were true, that Marrone essiantially handcuffed Hackett. My personal feeling is that he could make a good OC one day, if he can break away from Saint Doug. But either way, right now he is stuck with him for better or worse and he has to play puppet.

imo marrone was able to motivate the guys and get them to play hard. He really played up the "underdog" mentality with them, I think. That mental part is an important function of a HC. Where he failed as an HC was the X's and O's on offense, personnel decisions on gameday, and the game management.

I think he managed the game in his way. Low risk low reward. repetition.

What he truly failed at was taking his anti psychotic medication regularly. and it showed.

Can he develop into an NFL coach ? he is still young. i think he just might.

The Marrone / Hackett partnership is not much different than the Ryan / Thurman / Pettine partnership. While Thurman / Pettine is / was carrying the title of DC, Ryan is the mastermind behind the defense. Same with Hackett, Marrone runs the show. Without Marrone, Hackett would be unemployed. It's just unfortunate that Hackett ended up with Marrone as his security blanket, if the reports were true, that Marrone essiantially handcuffed Hackett. My personal feeling is that he could make a good OC one day, if he can break away from Saint Doug. But either way, right now he is stuck with him for better or worse and he has to play puppet.

I would like to think he can get out from under Marrone's shadow in the next couple seasons.

I think he managed the game in his way. Low risk low reward. repetition.

What he truly failed at was taking his anti psychotic medication regularly. and it showed.

Can he develop into an NFL coach ? he is still young. i think he just might.

I would like to think he can get out from under Marrone's shadow in the next couple seasons.

I think Hackett should have distanced himself from Marrone as soon as Saint Doug quit the Bills. Maybe he didn't get any other offers, who knows.

I think Hackett should have distanced himself from Marrone as soon as Saint Doug quit the Bills. Maybe he didn't get any other offers, who knows.

maybe he owed Doug for bringing him to the Bills.

Agree he needs to make a name for himself very separate from Marroone

The simple answer is we had a great defense and STs.

More in depth, Lions kicker missed out on 9 points and still needed a game winning FG to win. Almost lost to Vikings but Hogan made a hell of a play to get them to the 1 yard line, Pats** backups in week 17. The packers game could have easily been one sided also if Nelson didn't drop that pass either.

He was an offensive minded coach that couldn't run an offense.

Lots of excuses here. In close games, it can go either way (i.e., the Chiefs game). The object is to keep games close. Anyway, to quote Bill Parcells, you are what your record says you are. And the Bills record last season said that they were a better team team than any other Bills team in a decade. And see my point above about hiring assistants (in this case, defensive assistants). It's the most important task of a coach, and it is severely underrated on this board.

Lots of excuses here. In close games, it can go either way (i.e., the Chiefs game). The object is to keep games close. Anyway, to quote Bill Parcells, you are what your record says you are. And the Bills record last season said that they were a better team team than any other Bills team in a decade. And see my point above about hiring assistants (in this case, defensive assistants). It's the most important task of a coach, and it is severely underrated on this board.

Marrone didn’t know what he was doing on offense and Wiz was just proving his point with specific examples, not excuse making. Another example of Marrone’s cluelessness was that the Bills were ranked 29th in red zone offense in 2013 and 30th in 2014. Given this clear example of ineffective offensive coaching, just about anybody could have head coached last years Bills team to a 9-7 record.

Speaking of Bill Parcells, he would also scream at Phil Simms for not throwing enough interceptions because that meant to Bill that Phil wasn’t taking enough chances. That’s the difference between a poser head coach like Marrone who faints over the thought of turnovers and a HOF head coach like Parcells who trusts in his players at all times. As much as Marrone liked to pretend he was Parcells, he was the polar opposite.
Edited by 1billsfan

Do you wish Marrone was still the Bills coach?

I won't be. Marrone is so far in the rear view mirror i'd need a telescope attachment to see him

:thumbsup:

Dave, his best quality was picking DCs (though our defensive talent was extremely high to begin with, that only a guy like Wanny could screw it up). Think about that. He is a coach with an offensive background and that was the worst part of our team. Our oline severely regressed under him.

We won because have a top 5 STs and D. Marrone was good at picking an assistant coaches, not actually coaching himself.

Pretty much! He showed exceptional ability to pick DCs (a place where Chan Gailey fell down) and a ST coach (I give him that though I didn't like the choice at the time) and the willingness to give them their head and the personnel they needed to get the job done. On offense, where Hackett was (as far as I could tell) more or less a figurehead in the vein of Chan Gailey's "OC", Marrone lacked critical characteristics such as the ability to game plan successfully for specific opponents and the ability to adjust schemes and plays to suit the players he had (rather than throwing a temper tantrum about lacking ideal players). As a HC on gameday, he made questionable decisions from the standpoint of analytics.

If Marrone had been able to throttle his ego back and bring in an OC and OL coach of a similar caliber to Schwartz then get out of his way, I think the results would have been better.

So....for our last 3 tries we've had the HC who functioned as a decent OC but who couldn't pick or attract a decent DC (Gailey), the HC who brought in good DC but who couldn't delegate OC to a competent assistant or function as one. And now we have Rex. We shall see....

I think that you are perhaps over rating it somewhat. There would be many factors as to who you can get and why they would come. Luck plays an important role. Unless one brings their assistants with them, the right coordinator needs to be available. We couldn't have aquired Pettine, Schwartz, or Roman for that matter if they were not looking for a job.

Rex had a strong relationship with Roman. I think that there is little doubt that that relationship is the reason that Roman is with the Bills now. I don't think the same can be said about Marrone in regards to him obtaining Pettine and Schwartz. It seems to me that the reasons for Marrone's DCs taking the job had little to do with Marrone.

I think that you are perhaps over rating it somewhat. There would be many factors as to who you can get and why they would come. Luck plays an important role. Unless one brings their assistants with them, the right coordinator needs to be available. We couldn't have aquired Pettine, Schwartz, or Roman for that matter if they were not looking for a job.

Rex had a strong relationship with Roman. I think that there is little doubt that that relationship is the reason that Roman is with the Bills now. I don't think the same can be said about Marrone in regards to him obtaining Pettine and Schwartz. It seems to me that the reasons for Marrone's DCs taking the job had little to do with Marrone.

Whaley?

I think Marrone got some decent coaches somehow. Not like when Gailey had no money to spend to bring in some heat to the game and settled for Wannstasche

Bringing Pettine in was a big deal. I think that was tipping point to a significant degree. as to continued improvement. Schwartz even way better !

Roman may be the better score than Rex. Thats a match made in NFL heaven !

And certainly something we all should be delighted about.

And then , of course, Kromer is no Pat Morris.

and Pat Morris is no Joe D' .

Kromer with Roman is just the perfect Sundae.

• 3 weeks later...

Thurman is hilarious

@thurmanthomas: Oh boy...RT @SNFonNBC: Doug Marrone sees great progress from Luke Joeckel http://t.co/KKnWc9xxtWhttp://t.co/5KrLNDWsjx

LOL

I really wish we knew what Jimbo and Thurman didnt allow Rex to say at the Big Tree to the reporters about Marrone

CBF

They allowed 71 sacks last year? Obviously, I never pay attention to the Jags but that's amazingly bad. Marrone is going to look like a genius if they aren't God awful again. He's clever like a fox.

Dare I say a third miracle ... St. Doug squared....?????

Omg

@thurmanthomas: Bryan, RT @StutteringBuf: @thurmanthomas Bryan Cox and Doug Marrone are stranded on the side of the road and ... http://t.co/n2tsl4jAGo

Bryan Cox obviously!! Cox would sit there and be a grateful passenger while Marrone may try to take control of my car!!

Thurms drinking again

Why would you think that!? That was LOW Fluff!!

Edited by the skycap

He will be replaced by a guard because "best 5, regardless of position"

yup, just waiting for him to put their long snapper at right tackle.. Obviously the correct decision Edited by SJDK