Greg Roman presser: addresses QB rumors

Long overdue for Fluker to move. He was okay as a rookie, but really regressed last year.

Man, that 2013 draft looks really bad for OLmen at the top:

1 - Erik Fisher has been average-at-best for KC at LT

2 - Luke Joeckel can't stay on the field, and has been lousy when he has managed to play

4 - Lane Johnson had a PED suspension and was part of two under-achieving units

7 - Jonathan Cooper has been injured a bunch

10 - Warmack has been underwhelming

11 - Fluker (see above)

Wowsers. That is why there are not too many sure things. Actually none. But, you can get close to a sure thing. And, going back to that draft. The only thing close to a sure thing was the two guards, Warmack and Cooper. There were many question marks on the 4 tackles. Joeckel and Fisher had less question marks than the other two.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Speculation is the key word there," Roman said. "I don't believe whoever's saying that, and it's the furthest thing from the truth. He's busting his hump every day and doing a very good job. There's a lot of clay to mold there as well. Whatever people are talking about, I don't know where that's coming from. The answer is no, he's doing a good job."

He's toast.

"Speculation is the key word there," Roman said. "I don't believe whoever's saying that, and it's the furthest thing from the truth. He's busting his hump every day and doing a very good job. There's a lot of clay to mold there as well. Whatever people are talking about, I don't know where that's coming from. The answer is no, he's doing a good job."

Brownie was doing a heck of a job too ...

Quote the question that he was responding to, as that's the critical piece.

Brownie was doing a heck of a job too ...

Quote the question that he was responding to, as that's the critical piece.

I didn't see the exact question. I took that quote from the Matthew Fairburn article. It had something to do with falling out of favor with the team. My stance since this started has been that it is a non issue and no story at all. Everyone has said the same things about EJ. It's his make or break season. If he doesn't improve he is not going to make it. That is obvious. Then JB and Vic wrote if he doesn't improve or become the starter he may not make the team. That to me was no news and probably not true but would depend on how Taylor played and whether they wanted the extra roster spot instead of carrying three. Then when asked about the rumors Roman quickly and IMO definitively **** them down. We are going to see him play in our offense. He's looking good. Nothing has changed at all. If he doesn't make a significant jump he is in danger. Same as it was a month ago.

I didn't see the exact question. I took that quote from the Matthew Fairburn article. It had something to do with falling out of favor with the team. My stance since this started has been that it is a non issue and no story at all. Everyone has said the same things about EJ. It's his make or break season. If he doesn't improve he is not going to make it. That is obvious. Then JB and Vic wrote if he doesn't improve or become the starter he may not make the team. That to me was no news and probably not true but would depend on how Taylor played and whether they wanted the extra roster spot instead of carrying three. Then when asked about the rumors Roman quickly and IMO definitively **** them down. We are going to see him play in our offense. He's looking good. Nothing has changed at all. If he doesn't make a significant jump he is in danger. Same as it was a month ago.

Now we have a bit of context, and it appears that Roman is referring to speculation that EJ has fallen out of favor with the team, not the more serious speculation that he will not make the team if he doesn't win the starting battle. So, essentially he said what the OC should have said, but certainly didn't address the more serious charge directly.

(Edit: after listening to the exchange, Roman does nothing to refute the possibility that EJ would be traded/cut if he doesn't win the starting job)

Edited by GG

Long overdue for Fluker to move. He was okay as a rookie, but really regressed last year.

Man, that 2013 draft looks really bad for OLmen at the top:

1 - Erik Fisher has been average-at-best for KC at LT

2 - Luke Joeckel can't stay on the field, and has been lousy when he has managed to play

4 - Lane Johnson had a PED suspension and was part of two under-achieving units

7 - Jonathan Cooper has been injured a bunch

10 - Warmack has been underwhelming

11 - Fluker (see above)

The Eagles line underachieved? I don't know about that. I would say that, while not quite living up to pick #4 status, Lane Johnson has been pretty good. Warmack seemed to get better too.

But I still agree with your larger point about the draft class being a disappointment.

The Eagles line underachieved? I don't know about that. I would say that, while not quite living up to pick #4 status, Lane Johnson has been pretty good. Warmack seemed to get better too.

But I still agree with your larger point about the draft class being a disappointment.

IMO they did, yes.

They improved in pass protection in 2014, allowing 32 sacks (down from 46 in 2013). Still not great though; that's only 7 fewer than Buffalo's much-maligned OL.

However, the run blocking got considerably worse, as their YPC dropped from 5.1 in 2013 to 4.2 in 2014.

For a line that has all-pros at LT and LG, a pro bowl C, and a 4th overall pick at RT, I believe that's under-achieving.

As to Warmack, perhaps he's gotten better and I haven't noticed (totally possible). Tennessee's OL as a whole has been very poor since the 2013 season.

I just watched the video, and I cannot say Roman's denial of the reports were as adamant as those tweets led me to believe, initially. I guess I read more into them than intended. By that, I mean Roman is giving EJ a fair shot but it didn't seems like a ringing endorsement, either. In other words, no news here.

Edited by scribo

I just watched the video, and I cannot say Roman's denial of the reports were as adamant as those tweets led to believe, initially. I guess I read more into them than intended. By that, I mean Roman is giving EJ a fair shot but it did seems like a ringing endorsement, either. In other words, no news here.

Which, I believe, is really the point in all of this, and why it's ridiculous to have multiple threads with multiple pages discussing it.

Now we have a bit of context, and it appears that Roman is referring to speculation that EJ has fallen out of favor with the team, not the more serious speculation that he will not make the team if he doesn't win the starting battle. So, essentially he said what the OC should have said, but certainly didn't address the more serious charge directly.

(Edit: after listening to the exchange, Roman does nothing to refute the possibility that EJ would be traded/cut if he doesn't win the starting job)

Because it's no news. And nothing is changed.

Which, I believe, is really the point in all of this, and why it's ridiculous to have multiple threads with multiple pages discussing it.

Exactly, which is what a few of us have been trying to say in 26 different ways. Nothing has changed since Roman got the job. If anything the coaches have been impressed with EJ. But it doesn't mean anything until they go to camp and watch them play.

Just to clarify, five individuals or one individual and an "appendage on the down low" of an MIA musician from the 40s?

"The clue: Moonlight Serenade a Disguised Schlong. Henderson."

"Ah, what is the Bills O line, Alex? I'll take Swords for $1000!"

Rodent's next article:

"Roman's refusal to name EJ the starter hints at his early release from The Bills... perhaps as early as the start of training camp."

I did a search for him in google to see how much crap he compiled from the Roman interview and interestingly enough, 2 of the top 4 google hits are to get him removed as the bills beat writer. So I'd say the internet is doing its job.

Edited by The Wiz

Does it surprise anyone that Vic manned up and tweeted the quote from Roman saying the EJ rumors couldn't be further from the truth and JB Blowhard didn't, but said the quote about it's anybody's ballgame? He's losing credibility fast IMO.

Agreed. That was the first thing I noticed when I logged in to check the threads just now.