Greg Roman presser: addresses QB rumors

Geno's much faster, has a much better arm and is much more athletic than Fitzpatrick. The cuteness of the bearded Fitzpatrick has worn off, even for Chan Gailey. The guy is just too limited to be a viable season long starting QB.

The same could be said for the Bills' similar situation, but Manuel has become such a very toxic figure that Rex and Roman may feel that a real QB competition is in everyone's best interest. When this subject comes up I keep thinking of Sal Paolantonio's story about Rex gushing over EJ at about :50 of this video...

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Combine-Coverage-Sal-Paolantonio-1-on-1-Interview/4b2dcf6c-a32f-47b2-9fda-cb1623718761

I certainly don't see how Rex's "off air" opinion about EJ would have changed when there's been no games played between now and then. I'm thinking that the Jets are being honest and the Bills are covering up their plans that EJ is their guy for as long as possible so that they only have two weeks for the "EJ sucks" doom and gloomers (both fans and media) to go crazy until the real games are played.

I don't think either team is being honest about their real plans.

Listen to what Chan Gailey actually said: "Right now, Geno is the starter. That's the way it stands. And that's the way we expect it to be."

Saying someone is the starting QB "right now" and "that's the way it stands" before TC even opens is about as meaningful, coming from an NFL coach, as a pre-season depth chart or a pre-season 53 man roster. All it means is he gets the majority of the time with the 1's right now, which, considering Fitzpatrick isn't fully cleared to practice coming off his broken leg and Geno's competition is 2 rookies, is kind of a foregone conclusion.

The Jets would prefer to see Geno, their #2 pick, step up and become The Man. That would be the best option for them at QB. They are manipulating the press to "fluff up" Geno and build his confidence.

The Bills would prefer to see EJ, their #1 pick, step up and become The Man. That would be one of the best 2 options for them at QB. They are publically saying "it's a competition", but I personally believe all the stuff about "if he isn't the starter, he's cut" to be a media creation trying to fluff up news. It goes along with crap like this Rotoworld piece saying the Bills have the #32 QB situation in the league. Worse than the Raiders, Jags, Browns, Texans, Redskins, and (if the fragile #1 gets hurt) Cardinals and Eagles? Ohhhhhkaaayyyyy.....I would like to make a little bet on that one.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take inconsistent over consistently bad.

I'm more in the camp that it's easier to improve the decision making/cut down on the TO's than to make somebody more aggressive. IMO, you can't create aggressiveness, but you can tone it down.

Geno's problem isn't over-aggressiveness even if your theory were true. It is sub standard decision making and he makes the same mental mistakes over and over and over. He doesn't have it between the ears.

Fair enough. I read it to mean that poster's own past observations cause him to lack confidence in EJ's ability to out perform the competition. The key I agree with in that statement is that where a guy was drafted, etc., won't factor into who wins this competition.

That should always be the hope. Draft position while an artifact of collegiate performance and projection to the pros, the game just turns out to be so different. Particularly at qb. For every manning, cam and luck, there are scores of college super stars that didn't hack it. Conversely you have a Brady or a Brees who were ok to good but not heisman guys setting the league on fire.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood