Greg Roman presser: addresses QB rumors

In other words he is completely inconsistant.......which is something you dont want in a QB

I'd take inconsistent over consistently bad.

That is really true and really all there is to it. In my mind, and most NFL coaches minds, they worry more of mistakes than they celebrate good plays. Mark Sanchez throws a really nice ball and can make great plays, but he is so reckless with the ball that the end result is he's a crappy QB. I never want a guy like that on my team. That is why EJ was picked ahead of Geno and why he's probably still a better risk and QB. Geno throws a pretty pass. He can look great. But he makes WAY too many mistakes. Chances are they are not going to be reduced all that much. It's possible but unlikely. He doesn't seem to have the attitude or mental capacity to excel.

I'm more in the camp that it's easier to improve the decision making/cut down on the TO's than to make somebody more aggressive. IMO, you can't create aggressiveness, but you can tone it down.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take inconsistent over consistently bad.

I'm more in the camp that it's easier to improve the decision making/cut down on the TO's than to make somebody more aggressive. IMO, you can't create aggressiveness, but you can tone it down.

It depends on where the non aggressiveness came from, whether it was inherent in the player, bad coaching, too much on his plate at first, too many voices in his head, lack of confidence in receivers and line, injury, etc. Plus, most of Geno's great plays are when he is just dropping back, has all day and makes a gorgeous pass right on the money. He rarely reacts well to any pressure. Sure, there are isolated plays when he will scramble and then make a great play. But he doesn't show much compacity for handling pressure, reading defenses, going through progressions, etc at all. If that's the case it's not a matter of cutting down on mistakes. It's can you do it at all.

It depends on where the non aggressiveness came from, whether it was inherent in the player, bad coaching, too much on his plate at first, too many voices in his head, lack of confidence in receivers and line, injury, etc. Plus, most of Geno's great plays are when he is just dropping back, has all day and makes a gorgeous pass right on the money. He rarely reacts well to any pressure. Sure, there are isolated plays when he will scramble and then make a great play. But he doesn't show much compacity for handling pressure, reading defenses, going through progressions, etc at all. If that's the case it's not a matter of cutting down on mistakes. It's can you do it at all.

I just think that Geno overestimates his ability. Like that first game against the Bills last year, he got picked on the deep ball to Harvin, we kicked a FG or whatever, and next series he went right back at Harvin/Graham on basically the same route again. And got picked, again. I could hear the Remember the Titans "I can make that pitch, Coach." He didn't have to try them there again. And if he didn't, he probably wouldn't have started that game 0/3 2 INT's or whatever.

I just think that Geno overestimates his ability. Like that first game against the Bills last year, he got picked on the deep ball to Harvin, we kicked a FG or whatever, and next series he went right back at Harvin/Graham on basically the same route again. And got picked, again. I could hear the Remember the Titans "I can make that pitch, Coach." He didn't have to try them there again. And if he didn't, he probably wouldn't have started that game 0/3 2 INT's or whatever.

The Bills players were bummed out when he got benched. They said they always knew where he was going to throw.

That is really true and really all there is to it. In my mind, and most NFL coaches minds, they worry more of mistakes than they celebrate good plays. Mark Sanchez throws a really nice ball and can make great plays, but he is so reckless with the ball that the end result is he's a crappy QB. I never want a guy like that on my team. That is why EJ was picked ahead of Geno and why he's probably still a better risk and QB. Geno throws a pretty pass. He can look great. But he makes WAY too many mistakes. Chances are they are not going to be reduced all that much. It's possible but unlikely. He doesn't seem to have the attitude or mental capacity to excel.

If I could ask REX a question about EJ it would be: We're the Jests planning on drafting EJ with their 2nd pick, and if not where did they have him ranked on their board?

personally I think Geno has talent and throws a nice deep ball (watch out for Devin Smith) but he is inaccurate on most other throws and just doesn't seem to have it between the ears. I don't get handing him the job in May, and declaring him the unquestioned starter. He's the type who seems to need a fire lit as they have been waiting for the light bulb to go off. He has done nothing to earn the starting qb role. I think it's a function of Fitz's health and Petty inexperience but imo that just means they didn't bring in the right QBs in the offseason.

What part about Fritzy having a broken leg and being unable to practice are you confused about?

personally I think Geno has talent and throws a nice deep ball (watch out for Devin Smith) but he is inaccurate on most other throws and just doesn't seem to have it between the ears. I don't get handing him the job in May, and declaring him the unquestioned starter. He's the type who seems to need a fire lit as they have been waiting for the light bulb to go off. He has done nothing to earn the starting qb role. I think it's a function of Fitz's health and Petty inexperience but imo that just means they didn't bring in the right QBs in the offseason.

I think the Jets just don’t want the QB competition "drama" and they’re just putting it out there that they’d rather start a young, flawed, yet still developing Smith rather than start a limited veteran QB like Fitzpatrick who they feel would not put up substantially better numbers than Geno.

I’m sure that a lot of Bills fans at TSW don’t want to hear this, but IMO Rex and Roman think that Manuel is odds on to win the starting QB competition. All these leaks and rumors of his demise are probably meant to use the media to drive him as hard as he can be driven. I simply don’t buy into the “Cassel’s the favorite as starter” hype, nor do I buy into the coaches loving them some Taylor as the starter.
I think that Cassel is the “save the season if EJ implodes” back up QB and Taylor is the “let’s roll it out there and see what happens” flyer/lottery ticket QB.

If I could ask REX a question about EJ it would be: We're the Jests planning on drafting EJ with their 2nd pick, and if not where did they have him ranked on their board?

What part about Fritzy having a broken leg and being unable to practice are you confused about?

he broke his leg during the season. If they didn't know if he would be healthy enough to compete for the starting job, sign brian hoyer, josh mccown, Matt cassell, Matt Moore or any of the "FA vets" who can. Or if they didn't care, and only expected him to be the mentor/film room guy, then they didn't care if he had competition. That's my whole point. Why not? He certainly hasn't done anything to deserve being handed the job in May.

I think the Jets just don’t want the QB competition "drama" and they’re just putting it out there that they’d rather start a young, flawed, yet still developing Smith rather than start a limited veteran QB like Fitzpatrick who they feel would not put up substantially better numbers than Geno.

I’m sure that a lot of Bills fans at TSW don’t want to hear this, but IMO Rex and Roman think that Manuel is odds on to win the starting QB competition. All these leaks and rumors of his demise are probably meant to use the media to drive him as hard as he can be driven. I simply don’t buy into the “Cassel’s the favorite as starter” hype, nor do I buy into the coaches loving them some Taylor as the starter.
I think that Cassel is the “save the season if EJ implodes” back up QB and Taylor is the “let’s roll it out there and see what happens” flyer/lottery ticket QB.

Based on what?

he broke his leg during the season. If they didn't know if he would be healthy enough to compete for the starting job, sign brian hoyer, josh mccown, Matt cassell, Matt Moore or any of the "FA vets" who can. Or if they didn't care, and only expected him to be the mentor/film room guy, then they didn't care if he had competition. That's my whole point. Why not? He certainly hasn't done anything to deserve being handed the job in May.

Geno's much faster, has a much better arm and is much more athletic than Fitzpatrick. The cuteness of the bearded Fitzpatrick has worn off, even for Chan Gailey. The guy is just too limited to be a viable season long starting QB.

The same could be said for the Bills' similar situation, but Manuel has become such a very toxic figure that Rex and Roman may feel that a real QB competition is in everyone's best interest. When this subject comes up I keep thinking of Sal Paolantonio's story about Rex gushing over EJ at about :50 of this video...

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Combine-Coverage-Sal-Paolantonio-1-on-1-Interview/4b2dcf6c-a32f-47b2-9fda-cb1623718761

I certainly don't see how Rex's "off air" opinion about EJ would have changed when there's been no games played between now and then. I'm thinking that the Jets are being honest and the Bills are covering up their plans that EJ is their guy for as long as possible so that they only have two weeks for the "EJ sucks" doom and gloomers (both fans and media) to go crazy until the real games are played.

I saw one report that said if you believe the 'whispers' in the organization, EJ is #4 right now behind Tuel, Tyrod, and Cassel! Maybe they'll both be cut before OTAs.

If EJ isn't starter, it's much easier to keep Tuel as you can put him on practice squad due to games played. So it makes perfect sense that if EJ is really second to Taylor that he quickly drops to odd man out in terms of roster.

As I mentioned before I think Cassell makes the team regardless as a veteran hand.

If EJ isn't starter, it's much easier to keep Tuel as you can put him on practice squad due to games played. So it makes perfect sense that if EJ is really second to Taylor that he quickly drops to odd man out in terms of roster.

As I mentioned before I think Cassell makes the team regardless as a veteran hand.

If that were the situation.....where Cassel looked like a solid vet backup and both EJ and Taylor looked better(with better upside), with Taylor looking the best.....surely one would run with 3 QBs for the start of the season just to make sure that how the guys looked in camp and preseason was reflected in the real games.

If that were the situation.....where Cassel looked like a solid vet backup and both EJ and Taylor looked better(with better upside), with Taylor looking the best.....surely one would run with 3 QBs for the start of the season just to make sure that how the guys looked in camp and preseason was reflected in the real games.

Stop makin' sense Dibs

I think these coaches love Hogan and he's already won the job as our #1 WR.

The Jets (who’s new GM and head coach have no ties to Geno) have already named Geno Smith their starter, yet the Bills (who’s current GM was a very key FO guy in picking EJ) are contemplating cutting Manuel? That doesn’t make any sense.
I just think the Bills are playing a lot of the media and fans here. They want to tear EJ down to build him back up. Is it possible that EJ plays so bad in training camp and preseason games that he blows the starting job? Of course it is, but I think he’s got the inside track. The talk of him being cut or traded is not serious though IMO.

Geno's much faster, has a much better arm and is much more athletic than Fitzpatrick. The cuteness of the bearded Fitzpatrick has worn off, even for Chan Gailey. The guy is just too limited to be a viable season long starting QB.

The same could be said for the Bills' similar situation, but Manuel has become such a very toxic figure that Rex and Roman may feel that a real QB competition is in everyone's best interest. When this subject comes up I keep thinking of Sal Paolantonio's story about Rex gushing over EJ at about :50 of this video...

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Combine-Coverage-Sal-Paolantonio-1-on-1-Interview/4b2dcf6c-a32f-47b2-9fda-cb1623718761

I certainly don't see how Rex's "off air" opinion about EJ would have changed when there's been no games played between now and then. I'm thinking that the Jets are being honest and the Bills are covering up their plans that EJ is their guy for as long as possible so that they only have two weeks for the "EJ sucks" doom and gloomers (both fans and media) to go crazy until the real games are played.

I don't recall ever seeing that clip -- it was very interesting, almost as if Sal's reaction to Rex's comments indicated to Rex that he'd better softplay EJ until training camp, even if he expects him to be their starter.

I don't recall ever seeing that clip -- it was very interesting, almost as if Sal's reaction to Rex's comments indicated to Rex that he'd better softplay EJ until training camp, even if he expects him to be their starter.

Isn't it? The key part was that he was gushing about Manuel off camera. It's funny how many twists and turns have happened with who's going to be the Bills starter since that interview, as if any of the QBs have done anything on the field. Then we get word that they are thinking of cutting Manuel? It's just so preposterous that it has to be complete bs. I think there's an effort to both shake up Manuel so they see his max effort and also to give the impression the Bills aren't handing him the job.