Greg Roman presser: addresses QB rumors

imo we need more depth at Qb than at LB, especially if he shows something at camp. Cassel is injury prone and if they plan to run Tyrod all over the place, the odds of him getting hurt go up.

And EJ is not going to play clipboard holder as the third stringer graciously. If he isn't starting he's gone. Cassel will be a the backup or starting. If he shows anything they will highlight it, let EJ know during first preseason game and then he'll be traded.

And no we are not deep at LB, we need one more. QB, they all suck, so we have no depth at QB at all.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And EJ is not going to play clipboard holder as the third stringer graciously. If he isn't starting he's gone. Cassel will be a the backup or starting. If he shows anything they will highlight it, let EJ know during first preseason game and then he'll be traded.

And no we are not deep at LB, we need one more. QB, they all suck, so we have no depth at QB at all.

i disagree - I would rather keep him if he doesn't win the job and he's under contract so it doesn't matter whether he likes it. I've never seen anything out of him to think he would not be "gracious" as you put it. I also don't think they all "suck" - haven't even seen TT play yet! I don't think the other two "suck" either. While not great, are both serviceable game managers , imo. We have plenty of depth LBs. Why do we need one more? If Cassell and TT got hurt would you rather have EJ or Tuel out there? Edited by YoloinOhio

Roman doesn't deliver his punch lines well, but he said one funny line in that presser. When asked about all of the running backs and trying to get them playing time, he said, "It'll make for some interesting formations in the preseason for sure." He was the only one chuckling at his comment, but I thought it was hilarious.

:D

The fact that they're unsure if he's joking is probably looked at some formations he drew up. I seem to recall 7 OL, 1 TE formations popping up.

i disagree - I would rather keep him if he doesn't win the job and he's under contract so it doesn't matter whether he likes it. I've never seen anything out of him to think he would not be "gracious" as you put it. I also don't think they all "suck" - haven't even seen TT play yet! I don't think the other two "suck" either. While not great, are both serviceable game managers , imo. We have plenty of depth LBs. Why do we need one more? If Cassell and TT got hurt would you rather have EJ or Tuel out there?

If our 3rd string QB is play whether EJ, TT or Tuel, we are not making the playoffs. End of story

No comment on whether Cyrus Kouandjio is still trash?

He talked about Kujo a lot - said he's still an unknown quantity, but they liked what he did in the offseason to strengthen his lower body.

Except at a relatively cheap salary with an option year exercisable by whatever team would trade for him, would make him tradeable for a draft pick or other depth person (LB) if he shows something in camp but doesn't win starting job.

Would you honestly trade the project QB that showed progress in training camp, which you picked in the first round and who you knew would take at least a couple of years to develop and adapt to the NFL level, just because he didn't win the starting job? That's crazy. It doesn't make any sense what-so-ever unless EJ would have got beat out by a top QB. Neither Cassel or Taylor qualify as top 20 starting QBs, let alone in the top 10-15.

I think this offseason's EJ Manuel "telephone game" has got completely out of hand between the "insiders", media and fans. If EJ Manuel shows something in camp, the Bills will rest easy knowing that they have a young backup QB who's showing progress. You'd have to be either insane to think the Bills would trade an EJ Manuel showing progress or believe that Cassel or Taylor are both going to "wreck the league" in preseason and make EJ expendable through a trade.

I honestly think that a lot of this "on the down low" info coming from the team and being filtered by reporters is possibly meant to put a burr in EJ's saddle to see how he handles it. EJ being cut or traded is far fetched IMO, but it doesn't hurt for EJ to think this might be true because it only serves as some serious "ticked off" kind of motivation to focus like a laser on getting better and proving the doubters wrong.

Would you honestly trade the project QB that showed progress in training camp, which you picked in the first round and who you knew would take at least a couple of years to develop and adapt to the NFL level, just because he didn't win the starting job? That's crazy. It doesn't make any sense what-so-ever unless EJ would have got beat out by a top QB. Neither Cassel or Taylor qualify as top 20 starting QBs, let alone in the top 10-15.

I think this offseason's EJ Manuel "telephone game" has got completely out of hand between the "insiders", media and fans. If EJ Manuel shows something in camp, the Bills will rest easy knowing that they have a young backup QB who's showing progress. You'd have to be either insane to think the Bills would trade an EJ Manuel showing progress or believe that Cassel or Taylor are both going to "wreck the league" in preseason and make EJ expendable through a trade.

I honestly think that a lot of this "on the down low" info coming from the team and being filtered by reporters is possibly meant to put a burr in EJ's saddle to see how he handles it. EJ being cut or traded is far fetched IMO, but it doesn't hurt for EJ to think this might be true because it only serves as some serious "ticked off" kind of motivation to focus like a laser on getting better and proving the doubters wrong.

:beer:

He talked about Kujo a lot - said he's still an unknown quantity, but they liked what he did in the offseason to strengthen his lower body.

The kid does seem to want to work, and appears embarrassed about last season. We can only hope it pays dividends, because another adequate OT on this roster would be great.

If our 3rd string QB is play whether EJ, TT or Tuel, we are not making the playoffs. End of story

the Cardinals were in a similar situation last season. Carson Palmer is better than Cassell, but he's no longer an elite QB. They lost QB after QB to injury and their defense still got them there. The point is IF we are heavy into the playoff race and Cassell gets hurt, we want to have the best chance to make it and not throw up our hands. The Cards were so deep into their QB stock, they started Ryan Lindley in the playoffs. Edited by YoloinOhio

the Cardinals were in a similar situation last season. Carson Palmer is better than Cassell, but he's no longer an elite QB. They lost QB after QB to injury and their defense still got them there. The point is IF we are heavy into the playoff race and Cassell gets hurt, we want to have the best chance to make it and not throw up our hands. The Cards were so deep into their QB stock, they started Ryan Lindley in the playoffs.

this, and don't overlook the Texans, 2011 was it? they went to the playoffs with TJ Yates after Schaub and Leinart went out. So yeah, teams go to the playoffs with scrub QB. Win there, no. Go there, yes, if the D is awesome.

The only way I see this is if EJ shows progress and looks promising, like he can play, but Taylor (the Dark Horse) just blows people away in preseason and carries that into the season. Then, if another team has injuries and offers the Bills something substantial, yeah, I could see a trade - because then it would look as though we have potential top-tier QB.

I don't get the logic "if EJ isn't the starter he's gone either cut or traded for kibble". It wouldn't make sense unless he just looks awful, no progress at all, we'd rather have Tuel - and then, who would want to trade for him?

Bit of a catch-22 there, no?

What evidence do you have to back up this statement? Everything I've seen so far says that EJ is a total class act. He would of course be looking for a new team, but no one wants a crybaby who has as yet proven nothing on their team, so he would only be hurting himself if he were given that role and less than gracious about it.

I would also be interested in your definition of "suck", it would appear to be somewhat non-standard.

this, and don't overlook the Texans, 2011 was it? they went to the playoffs with TJ Yates after Schaub and Leinart went out. So yeah, teams go to the playoffs with scrub QB. Win there, no. Go there, yes, if the D is awesome.

TJ Yates actually did win his playoff game by the way :P If I remember correctly he beat Cincinnati to clinch the playoff berth and then beat them again in the playoffs.

TJ Yates actually did win his playoff game by the way :P If I remember correctly he beat Cincinnati to clinch the playoff berth and then beat them again in the playoffs.

yea - "cant win a playoff game" is silly talk. cant string together 3 road playoff wins and then the SB is fair but any 9 or 10 win team COULD win a playoff game.

And good grief, did he need to strengthen his lower body. He looked like a newborn giraffe out there last preseason.

He probably won't ever have the foot speed of an elite OT, but IMO if he can learn to position himself properly and get more efficient with his footwork to cut down the number of steps he takes on the field, he may become a quality RT.

I still have my doubts, but let's hope there's moldable clay there.

Roadsodas weighing in...

@KevinMassare: Tyrod Taylor is very highly regarded in the QB room for the Bills right now.

I know it's way too early to make a call, but when I hear snippets from press conferences, they seem to keep stressing that TT is in the thick of it. Most national writers have been spinning it was EJ vs Cassel, but I have a sneaking feeling that I can't explain telling that Tyrod is going to take it.

Maybe it's just me reading too much into it, but that's the vibe I get.

I know it's way too early to make a call, but when I hear snippets from press conferences, they seem to keep stressing that TT is in the thick of it. Most national writers have been spinning it was EJ vs Cassel, but I have a sneaking feeling that I can't explain telling that Tyrod is going to take it.

Maybe it's just me reading too much into it, but that's the vibe I get.

its possible that he is the type of Qb (with his speed) that they think will be successful in the scheme that they prefer to run ... But it's too early to know how he will perform when the pads go on. If he doesn't look like a starting caliber QB but Cassell and/or EJ look best, they will alter the scheme to fit their strengths. Edited by YoloinOhio

did everybody miss the part about ultimate meritocracy? i'm guessing that means that where, when and by whom a qb was drafted , traded for or found on a desert island, the decision to start, sit or get cut will be based on performance. based on ej's previous performances, i can't see how that is cause for optimism in his camp.

did everybody miss the part about ultimate meritocracy? i'm guessing that means that where, when and by whom a qb was drafted , traded for or found on a desert island, the decision to start, sit or get cut will be based on performance. based on ej's previous performances, i can't see how that is cause for optimism in his camp.

are his good performances not factored into said meritocracy?

Bingo.

are his good performances not factored into said meritocracy?

They've said everything in the past will be left in the past.