Charley Casserly feels the Pats got off easy

I agree with Casserly that the Pats got off easy. IMO, Brady should have been suspended for eight games: four for his role in trying to gain an illegal advantage and four for not cooperating with the investigation. If Browns GM Ray Farmer gets a four game suspension for texting the sideline during the game, then why is Brady only getting a four game suspension when he had two violations? Also, Sean Payton was suspended for a year even though he had no knowledge of Gregg Williams' bounty program, but Belichek gets nothing, especially since it's been the second time the Patriots were caught cheating. That is a double standard!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/0ap3000000492237/Casserly-Patriots-got-off-easy

ill attempt to work through what i think probably happened here.....

1) Sean payton, given the nfl decided they believed that the saints program was openly discussed regularly by atleast half of the roster, and coaching staff, if not more, makes it a lot harder to say "i didnt know" than a single player and 2 ball boys, which is all the nfl felt they had to work with here.

2) Farmer as a GM being suspended 4 games is not nearly as impactful as brady being suspended 4 games. it seems you think there should be a 4 game per infraction standard, but im not sure where thats based out of.

Edited by NoSaint

I see how this information is unrelated to the existing threads on the punishment of the Pats. I am glad it is contributing to their being more threads on the Pats than the Bills on this board. I appreciate your diligence.

NoSaint, I based that off of what Ray Farmer got as well as athlete's being suspended for using PED's to gain an illegal advantage. Also, in regards to penalties to multiple infractions, I feel if any employer that tells their employee to fully cooperate with an investigation and they refuse, then there should be penalties levied against that employee.

1) Sean payton, given the nfl decided they believed that the saints program was openly discussed regularly by atleast half of the roster, and coaching staff, if not more, makes it a lot harder to say "i didnt know" than a single player and 2 ball boys, which is all the nfl felt they had to work with here.

2) Farmer as a GM being suspended 4 games is not nearly as impactful as brady being suspended 4 games. it seems you think there should be a 4 game per infraction standard, but im not sure where thats based out of.

Good attempt.

In all fairness, Farmer's texting didn't give a competitive advantage. He was *annoying* his OC. And he didn't assemble a ridiculous charade trying to defend it without admitting to it.

Pats got off with a light slap on the wrist IMO.. A huge message to the entire league should of been set. They should of suspended Brady for the year, and Fined the Pats way more than a measely million

Instead it still pays to cheat... so sick of the leagues BS way of handling everything they do

In all fairness, Farmer's texting didn't give a competitive advantage. He was *annoying* his OC. And he didn't assemble a ridiculous charade trying to defend it without admitting to it.

+1

Pats got off with a light slap on the wrist IMO.. A huge message to the entire league should of been set. They should of suspended Brady for the year, and Fined the Pats way more than a measely million

Instead it still pays to cheat... so sick of the leagues BS way of handling everything they do

+1

I agree with Casserly that the Pats got off easy. IMO, Brady should have been suspended for eight games: four for his role in trying to gain an illegal advantage and four for not cooperating with the investigation. If Browns GM Ray Farmer gets a four game suspension for texting the sideline during the game, then why is Brady only getting a four game suspension when he had two violations? Also, Sean Payton was suspended for a year even though he had no knowledge of Gregg Williams' bounty program, but Belichek gets nothing, especially since it's been the second time the Patriots were caught cheating. That is a double standard!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/0ap3000000492237/Casserly-Patriots-got-off-easy

I agree they got off easy.

The fine is actually ok since it was the biggest ever in nfl history.

The draft pick should have been just the 1st rounder. A 4th was stupid.

Brady getting 4 games is too little. With the possibility that they have cheated for the last few years, 4 games is a joke.

All qbs like their balls a certain way. Soft, broken in, IN TB's case, DEFLATED.

He's had an unfair advantage for 7 years. At minimum, it should have been an 8 game suspension.

And on top of everything he lied, was not candid, didnt hand over phone.

Cheater got off way easy.

This is my fear:

Krafty Bob will have "secret dinner party" at his mansion sometime before the appeal process/hearings start. Guests will include Brady, Billicheat, and Goodell. Next thing you know, Goodell is appointing Tedy Bruschi as the arbitrator.

In the end, Brady is suspended for the first two preseason games of 2015.

Fine is reduced to to whatever the cost was to reinflate the balls.

They lose a 6th round compensatory pick - the year is TBD.

I feel like we are agreeing that farmer got a lesser punishment for a lesser offense, ultimately. Dude will go watch college games, tape around league and his 2nd in command might cycle some guys on the roster that aren't planned to be active (and probably will have some instruction from farmer despite the suspension. Brady is out a month. The gm equivalent is being suspended Friday of the draft or week 1 of free agency. Brady got the stiffer sentence despite them reading similarly.

The two employees who cooperated have been suspended indefinitely, and I would think will never work a game again.

Brady stonewalled and only gets 4.

The lesson: refuse to cooperate with an NFL investigation.

The lesson is be a super bowl map and not a ball boy. If you are disposable, you will very possibly be disposed of when things hit the fan.

3) Brady's conduct was (a) more impactful on the game (i'm sure Browns coaches were like "stfu" to the GM "dont tell me what plays to call"),

and (b) was done for a much much much longer time period.

Edited by maddenboy

3) Brady's conduct was (a) more impactful on the game (i'm sure Browns coaches were like "stfu" to the GM), and (b) was done for a much much much longer time period.

I'll post the same answer- Brady did worse and was punished worse.... So? I'm not sure the goal of your reply unless you are of the thought that week 1-4 is as big for a gm to be in his office as a qb with the team and they were punished equally Edited by NoSaint

That is the lesson. Brady is above everyone else and knows it... Which is why he knew there would be very little consequence to his refusal to turn over responsive documents.

If any other player had refused such a request, it easily would have been a year ban. Imagine if a guy like Greg hardy refused a request like that in the course of his issues.

Well, my point was that the ball boy is disposable more than Brady got special treatment. heck, didn't the pats kicker also decline to turn over records? I swear I remember reading that in all this.

Penalty is too short for Brady. Should have been at least 8 games because they will cave and reduce the sentence. And they should make Brady pay those two staff members $1M each because he basically ruined their careers. What were they supposed to do - not bid Brady's orders and get fired? They are real "Patsies" and should have seen this coming. They should have gone to the league and got Brady what he deserved instead of taking the fall in the end.

You conclusively prove it you can go for a year. How is losing a number one pick and your franchise player for four games a slap?

The two employees who cooperated have been suspended indefinitely, and I would think will never work a game again.

Brady stonewalled and only gets 4.

The lesson: refuse to cooperate with an NFL investigation.

This, it's ridiculous that two regular employees following orders are taking the fall for this. The millionaire, high profile guys just get a slap on the wrist whilst the two no-names will end up collecting cans off the street. If I were a lawyer I'd reach out to those guys and sue the hell out of the Patriots**(**) and the NFL.

Just wait until they reduce the suspension to 1 or 2 games. This place is going to erupt

Agreed. Those are the facts.

This, it's ridiculous that two regular employees following orders are taking the fall for this. The millionaire, high profile guys just get a slap on the wrist whilst the two no-names will end up collecting cans off the street. If I were a lawyer I'd reach out to those guys and sue the hell out of the Patriots**(**) and the NFL.

If nothing improper happened, why did the Cheaters suspend them? Doesn't make sense.

brady and belichick should both have gotten 1 year.

the fine is not a deterrent.

the loss of draft pick is a minor deterrent, as the salary cap money that would have been used on a first round draft choice can still be used on an UFA.

brady and belichick should both have gotten 1 year.

the fine is not a deterrent.

the loss of draft pick is a minor deterrent, as the salary cap money that would have been used on a first round draft choice can still be used on an UFA.

yea, but the quality of FA that you sign for 4 years 7m is usually closer to a bust than a pick you hit on. so its not like its a good replacement at that cost.

Exactly. What is Brady going to do?...prove his innocence now? If he was innocent he would have explained himself before the suspension.

we will see. the other side of the bounty-gate coin was that without substantial new evidence introduced the players got suspensions overturned after a long and ugly process (overturned, then nfl put them back in place anyway, then overturned again).

i dont know that any of us know the CBA well enough to know if thats possible here. i surely wouldnt expect it, but i wont say impossible.

I believe sending a guy into a bathroom with game balls and pin has got to be one of the most cheatingest things ever in the history of sports. Anyone arguing that this wasn't an advantage needs to realize that if the advantage wasn't there, they wouldn't be doing it. Every aspect of the Pats game plan benefits from flatter balls (short passes, low air yards, power run game, tight ends, no fumbling allowed or you're benched (now we know why Ridley was benched for fumbling vs us. He couldn't even hold on to a deflated ball).

yea, but the quality of FA that you sign for 4 years 7m is usually closer to a bust than a pick you hit on. so its not like its a good replacement at that cost.

as an example, the pats just signed TE Scott Chandler, a proven veteran , for 2 years / $5.3 mil, which is about what they would spend on a first round pick.

as an example, the pats just signed TE Scott Chandler, a proven veteran , for 2 years / $5.3 mil, which is about what they would spend on a first round pick.

their first rounder this year will be 4 years and likely sub 7m.

so a savings on total value, but half the length and probably not as good as a late 1st round TE.