LSJ OL La'el Collins has a meeting scheduled with the Bills

And that these days you usually have to pay some form of income tax in every state in which you play that has an income tax.

I believe that, even if he signs with Miami, he'd have to pay income tax in NY on an eighth of his earnings (Buffalo and Jets - and the Giants this year, so 3/16.) I forget which states have those asinine laws, but I know some do.

4 out of 17 if Miami squeaks into the playoffs and has to play in Buffalo.

EDIT: the Jets and Giants play in New Jersey, not NY.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will likely be other teams involved, too. I think if he is all about football we have a pretty good shot. If he is a lot about football but wants to live the South Beach lifestyle and hang with his buddies, then the Fins have the upper hand. I don't see what Sheppard adds to that, he stinks plus they may have spent one year hitting each other in practice four years ago.

Sheppard may be there to tell him that Buffalo sucks as a place to live.

Overall, my sense is which NFL tean do you play in is probably overwhelmed by other factors such as:

1. Are the owners and coaching staff a plus, a wash, or idiots.

The sense I get is that most teams are a wash but there are a few idiots out there that players either want to avoid or are attracted to them because they are stupid (Oakland). In general, I think the Bills are a wash (Miami I think has developed a rep for things approaching idiocy after the Incognito breakdown). Nice weather in Miami though.

2. Can this team win?

Bills are pretty suspect in this regard, but new world post-RWS and with Ryan provides hope. The team has acquired a ton of good players though.

"nice weather in Miami".

I don't know. I would guess that 300 lb linemen with lots of padding etc might prefer to play in a more moderate climate. I went to the Jets at Miami game this year. The heat is brutal. Just saying.

I just don't buy the whole "murder for hire" angle. If he was responsible, why choose this timing that hurt him so much? That would only make sense if she was blackmailing him and threatening to hurt his reputation ahead of the draft, somehow more than this did? If this was pre-meditated by him, I just don't get it. Heat-of-the-moment might make sense, but he wasn't there.

KW would be there to shut that BS down quickly.

After all, if I were to take any LSU alumni's word on Buffalo who played for the Bills - it certainly wouldn't be Kelvin.

To me this would be a bad ploy

Unless Collins is a complete mental midget he would see that the trade netted Buffalo one of the best pass rushers in the league for peanuts......and that DE just had the brinks truck backed up (Terry was driving/Kim was riding shotgun)

This is not the same bills team......they might be operating in Siberia (just kidding...:) but they are opperating like a big market team.

There will likely be other teams involved, too. I think if he is all about football we have a pretty good shot. If he is a lot about football but wants to live the South Beach lifestyle and hang with his buddies, then the Fins have the upper hand. I don't see what Sheppard adds to that, he stinks plus they may have spent one year hitting each other in practice four years ago.

for all we know, shep might go back regularly.

everyones going to give strong pitches just by nature of getting 1st round talent at league minimum.

for all we know, shep might go back regularly.

everyones going to give strong pitches just by nature of getting 1st round talent at league minimum.

Agreed. Sheppard is a Georgia kid though. Not a Baton Rouge kid. But I agree he probably went back to LSU quite a bit considering his pro career was in the crapper. ;)

It's going to be a tough choice for the kid. Miami offers a lot to him. I'm not sure how many teams would seriously be in the running, and I doubt any single team has a better than a 50% shot. Who knows. Rex may have wowed him. Or he might already have his mind made up for the most part on the Fins. We also may not find out for a week.

So does this suggest the meeting never took place? I thought we were going to have a "sanctioned" meeting on Tuesday...

Edit:

First time I've seen the Cowboy's name mentioned as well:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000491057/article/lael-collins-meets-with-bills-coach-rex-ryan

Edited by Lurker

The whole "no state income tax" is the most ridiculous argument. Do people who live in those states not realize State income tax is deductible on your Federal taxes so you net to zero?

And that states with no income tax make up with higher sales tax and much higher property tax. And a I bet a million dollar home in Buffalo is not the same as a million dollar home in Southern Florida...

Someone catch me up on the story.

La'el Collins was a great OL prospect, a likely top 10 pick, but fell out of the draft because his ex-girlfriend was murdered - right?

The authorities are saying he's "not a suspect".

What am I missing? Why is Collins suddenly persona non grata in the draft if he had nothing to do with the homocide?

The only thing I can figure is that in spite of what the authorities are saying officially, there must be strong suspicision of his involvement, but they don't yet have the evidence to indict. The investigation officers must have indicated to the NFL that Collins actually IS more than a person of interest, otherwise, I'd have thought at least 1 of the 32 teams would have taken a chance on him in the draft.

Anyone know how he's being tied into the murder?

Nice. Again, what some of us have pieced together is that the Bills have a formal meeting with Collins today, sometime after the Dolphins formal meeting with him. Rex slipped in the informal meeting last night, which hopefully swayed the kid and his family to some degree.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

And that states with no income tax make up with higher sales tax and much higher property tax. And a I bet a million dollar home in Buffalo is not the same as a million dollar home in Southern Florida...

home owners insurance is probably extremely high in Florida compared to Buffalo due to Hurricanes.

Rex just HAPPENED to be in Louisiana for an unsanctioned dinner last night. With a private flight that took off at 530. After being at OBD all day and meeting with Carrington. Coincidence.

Gotta love Pegula having that jet at the team's disposal