Deflate-gate investigation complete

I am not sure that past performance will guarantee future results in this instance.

I think this is a bit unusual and special. I also believe the penalty this time will be worse than in the past precisely because of Spygate, not despite it.

And to repeat: a fine is not a penalty at all. Not when you are dealing with billionaires.

Of course a fine isn't a real penalty, that's why I think Brady will receive a fine. He's one of the faces of the NFL. The Patriots are "America's Team" (along with the Cowboys). They bring in big money to the league. I'm actually surprised the NFL investigated this in any serious way, and I'm more surprised they allowed the results to be brought to light. So hey, maybe I'll be surprised by the penalty.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are saying Patriot sanctions for this offense will amount to more than nothing this time around, I completely agree with you.

But how severe? That is the question.

If I were the NFL?

I would suspend Brady for a half a season. Possibly more. Those lockerroom attendants and their immediate supervisors would be banned from ever working in the league again. Take a 1st rounder + away and fine the organization $1 Million in light of repeat offender.

I would allow them to get away with only this, if the league is permitted to install independent auditors who will have full access to team activities to ensure they aren't cheating.

The real key to what the NFL is all about will be the suspension versus the fine. For a player like Brady, a suspension is huge and a fine is virtual nothing. Not even a slap on the wrist. If the NFL fines Tom Brady $5million he will never ever notice it and it will have absolutely zero affect on his life (other than fans saying he was fined $5m). if he's suspended a game or two or four or any number, that is an actual punishment.

I don't think spygate was necessary for them to win games. Just like it wasn't necessary for Bonds to take steroids; he would have been the best of his era without them. That's my point. The Patriots were already better than everyone. They didn't need to cheat and I don't believe the cheating helped them win.

My take is the exact opposite. They won exactly because of the necessary advantage they got from systematic cheating. There's no doubt in my mind that for years Brady knew (or still does) the defensive call as he stands at the LOS

See? That's all you had to do. Actually provide some insight. You attacked posters for attacking posters and then said they should do something productive like talk about what the NFL should do. But you didn't. You just told people what to do. Twice. Without doing anything yourself.

If you would have just put this above with your original post I would have totally agreed with it. ;) That's pretty much my take, too. It should be at least two games.

Kiss and make up?

If you are saying Patriot sanctions for this offense will amount to more than nothing this time around, I completely agree with you.

But how severe? That is the question.

I think Roger will make an example of this situation and suspend Brady for at least four games.

He almost has to after what he said before the Superbowl, otherwise the media will put so much heat on the NFL that it will hound him out of the office....

"Goodell said two days before the Super Bowl: “We want the truth. That’s what I think our fans want. That’s what our clubs want. And so what we want to do is make sure that we find that truth. If there are violations of the rules, we take them seriously, particularly when they deal with the integrity of the game and the rules.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/05/06/deflategate-wells-report-concludes-more-probable-than-not-patriots-violated-league-rules-tom-brady-aware-of-activities/

Edited by Lurker

lets keep this in mind.

arrogant prick

He's back to hemming and hawing now. Legal speak for "we still didn't do it, but for the sake of everyone involved we'll let you persecute us without any hard evidence and we can all move on and let by-gones be by-gones". (Memo to Bill - stop getting caught!)

Of course a fine isn't a real penalty, that's why I think Brady will receive a fine. He's one of the faces of the NFL. The Patriots are "America's Team" (along with the Cowboys). They bring in big money to the league. I'm actually surprised the NFL investigated this in any serious way, and I'm more surprised they allowed the results to be brought to light. So hey, maybe I'll be surprised by the penalty.

I could see two games, only because it would give fans their pound of flesh, and probably not jeopardize a Patriots season. Win-win.

I think Roger will make an example of this situation and suspend Brady for at least four games.

He almost has to after what he said before the Superbowl, otherwise the media will put so much heat on the NFL that it will hound him out of the office....

"Goodell said two days before the Super Bowl: “We want the truth. That’s what I think our fans want. That’s what our clubs want. And so what we want to do is make sure that we find that truth. If there are violations of the rules, we take them seriously, particularly when they deal with the integrity of the game and the rules.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/05/06/deflategate-wells-report-concludes-more-probable-than-not-patriots-violated-league-rules-tom-brady-aware-of-activities/

He almost HAS to. So he won't.

He'll get suspended.

The question is how long? Knowing the league's treatment towards us and seeing the Patriot's Bills match up in week 2, it will probably only be a 1 game suspension.

if it's only one game, I'd rather he not be suspended at all. He's going to be so pissed off and on a mission for our game, just like he was in the SB and just like he was in that Cincy game after the pats got blown out by KC. Edited by YoloinOhio

He almost HAS to. So he won't.

But how many black eyes can the NFL owners take??

This is the biggest of them all, IMO, since it affected the AFC championship game and, ultimately, the Superbowl. There has to be a sacrificial lamb (GOAT) at some point, as the NFL is too media-savvy to just keep brushing these events aside...

I think that it is a virtual certainty that he will get at least 2 games. 1 for the incident and 1 for lying about it. It could be up to 8 I would think when you look at bounty-gate. I am pretty confident that he will not be playing in Buffalo week 2. Is the NFL is going to kickoff the season with Brady on the sidelines though? I really think that they have no choice..

For people suggesting a 2 game suspension: does that number come from anything other than the fact that we play them week 2? I feel like it needs to be around 4 games. That seems to be the typical number from the NFL.

4 games works for me as well.

To be honest, if the NFL feels they have definitive proof that the Patriots willingly engaged in breaking the rules and modifying the balls beyond the rules to suit their liking, the only appropriate response is to deem the result of the game in which the infraction occurred "false". I.E., you go back to the game where the infraction occurred and deem NE to be ineligible.

You want excitement and publicity? How about the NFL repeating the relevant portion of the playoffs from last year, prior to the start of this season, minus the Patriots as of the point when they cheated?!

I.E., a "playoff" involving Baltimore vs. Indianapolis. Winner plays the Seahawks to determine the winner of LAST YEAR'S Superbowl.

You don't think that would generate interest, excitement, and enthusiasm for the NFL?

You'd have people watching those games who have watched 3 games in the last decade.