Deflate-gate investigation complete

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An argument can be made that deflated footballs helped them win the championship game. That's way more serious than videotaping a practice...

Just like Jimmy Johnson seeing the Bills practice the shovel pass video taped during practice on news report in the days before SB 27....that had zero affect on that game :wallbash:

Like clockwork the chance for an interesting conversation goes into the toilet with petty fighting among users.

I guess that's what internet chat forums are for.

Anyone care to actually discuss the topic at hand?

What is the NFL prepared to do about this? That is the only relevant topic right now.

And like clockwork, you complain about something without providing any insight or following your own rule.

puzzling why a guy on a bills message board would go to such lengths to defend his point about of all teams, the patriots. principles aside, common sense should prevail. let it go watkins.

He does seem to be personally and deeply invested in this. Hmmm, I wonder what he thinks of our WNY hotels?

Tommy is put in front of a two-way mirror and forced to watch a randomly selected Bills fan give Giselle a thorough shagging.

not sure he would care honestly he watches Bill do it all the time. what are friends for anyways

Edited by 3rdand12

Like clockwork the chance for an interesting conversation goes into the toilet with petty fighting among users.

What is the NFL prepared to do about this? That is the only relevant topic right now.

I dont know.

a few things make me slow to dismiss this

The NFL likes to handle things in-house. New England took things out of house with their deniability tour and Kraft went as far to demand an apology from the NFL

Spygate. You have to think the NFL gave the Pats an off the record warning along with sweeping that under the rug. Repeat offenders.

NOPE.

I NEVER said they didn't cheat. I knew it was a possibility. I just don't think it's that serious of a transgression.

A fine, a short suspension. That's fair to me.

Stripped of Titles? A year suspension?....Bitter loser talk.

Bullschitt. I appreciate how you maybe like to see yourself as the only reasonable person evaluating this, but you can't just randomly assume those of us calling for a year's suspension and a title loss to be bitter losers.

Let's all gather our children together, okay? Let's tell them how the Patriots** have a history of being "proven" cheaters. Then let's tell all the children that cheating to win is simply not that big of a transgression and you can cheat and still be revered and rich and glorified.

Is that your plan? Really?

Cheating is cheating and if you try to qualify it simply so you can portray yourself as the only reasonable thinker in the room, you're pretty much doing the opposite.

I think you are too strict. it will come around in time.

seems you are criticising some of us, hmmm.

: )

Bullschitt. I appreciate how you maybe like to see yourself as the only reasonable person evaluating this, but you can't just randomly assume those of us calling for a year's suspension and a title loss to be bitter losers.

Let's all gather our children together, okay? Let's tell them how the Patriots** have a history of being "proven" cheaters. Then let's tell all the children that cheating to win is simply not that big of a transgression and you can cheat and still be revered and rich and glorified.

Is that your plan? Really?

Cheating is cheating and if you try to qualify it simply so you can portray yourself as the only reasonable thinker in the room, you're pretty much doing the opposite.

Actually you just nailed it. The punishment for the Patriots* should simply be they and the NFL simple have to put an asterisk on any official mention of the Patriots* or Tom Brady* which to me would be fair. Then, when kids would ask their parents why the Patriots* or Brady* have the asterisk after their names, the parent could then explain that they were chronic cheaters and go tell them to read "The Scarlett Letter."

What has the NFL done to players/teams that cheat in the past? Spygate resulted in a fine. Tomlin was fined for interfering with a play. What about players that have been caught cheating? I can't recall any major stories.

Edit: About to browse through this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suspensions_in_the_National_Football_League#Player_suspensions

Looks like suspensions are only for players who commit crime, go against conduct policy, or do something violently illegal on the field. Nothing for players who do other things to change the outcome of the game.

I'm sticking with my prediction of a fine.

Edited by Dorkington

I dont know.

The NFL likes to handle things in-house. New England took things out of house with their deniability tour and Kraft went as far to demand an apology from the NFL

Spygate. You have to think the NFL gave the Pats an off the record warning along with sweeping that under the rug. Repeat offenders.

lets keep this in mind.

arrogant prick

I don't think spygate was necessary for them to win games. Just like it wasn't necessary for Bonds to take steroids; he would have been the best of his era without them. That's my point. The Patriots were already better than everyone. They didn't need to cheat and I don't believe the cheating helped them win.

Not sure what point you are making but the same argument can be made by any number of sportsmen caught for cheating. If they truly believed they were better than everyone else, why do it ? We have no idea of the impact of properly inflated balls would have on their playoff game. Were there other games in which they used this or other tricks to enhance their chance of success ? It is entirely conceivable that one or more games lost without said advantage could have changed the course of the playoffs and the Superbowl. It has now been proven time and time again that the Pats* will stretch the rule book or even try to see what they can get away with, just to gain advantage. Pretty much what every cheating sportsman did.

And like clockwork, you complain about something without providing any insight or following your own rule

Atta boy! Keep attacking anonymous strangers on the internet! You must be a really fun human being to be around in person! May I suggest developing some productive hobbies?

Insight? I believe Tom Brady will be suspended. I believe the NFL has chosen (for some reason) to dump this mess at his feet. Not sure why they won't attack the franchise as a whole, the owner, or the coach, but I believe they will not. I believe they will go after Brady to send a message.

Removing Brady from games is the single best way to hurt the Patriots as an organization. Fines don't mean anything to billionaires.

I guess my question is how many games will Brady get, and will it at least be 2? That would mean he misses the first game against the Bills, and that means we win that game.

I'm interested in that. Otherwise, this story isn't all that interesting.

The report is pretty incriminating. They basically had everything short of "we have these guys doing it on video tape". I can't see how it's just a slap on the wrist, especially the way Brady publicly denied everything and this report rips his denial to shreds. Add in Kraft publicly demanding an apology and they are daring the NFL to take significant action.

I dont know.

If you are saying Patriot sanctions for this offense will amount to more than nothing this time around, I completely agree with you.

But how severe? That is the question.

Atta boy! Keep attacking anonymous strangers on the internet! You must be a really fun human being to be around in person! May I suggest developing some productive hobbies?

Insight? I believe Tom Brady will be suspended. I believe the NFL has chosen (for some reason) to dump this mess at his feet. Not sure why they won't attack the franchise as a whole, the owner, or the coach, but I believe they will not. I believe they will go after Brady to send a message.

Removing Brady from games is the single best way to hurt the Patriots as an organization. Fines don't mean anything to billionaires.

I guess my question is how many games will Brady get, and will it at least be 2? That would mean he misses the first game against the Bills, and that means we win that game.

I'm interested in that. Otherwise, this story isn't all that interesting.

See? That's all you had to do. Actually provide some insight. You attacked posters for attacking posters and then said they should do something productive like talk about what the NFL should do. But you didn't. You just told people what to do. Twice. Without doing anything yourself.

If you would have just put this above with your original post I would have totally agreed with it. ;) That's pretty much my take, too. It should be at least two games.

For people suggesting a 2 game suspension: does that number come from anything other than the fact that we play them week 2? I feel like it needs to be around 4 games. That seems to be the typical number from the NFL.

What has the NFL done to players/teams that cheat in the past? Spygate resulted in a fine. Tomlin was fined for interfering with a play. What about players that have been caught cheating? I can't recall any major stories.

Edit: About to browse through this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suspensions_in_the_National_Football_League#Player_suspensions

Looks like suspensions are only for players who commit crime, go against conduct policy, or do something violently illegal on the field. Nothing for players who do other things to change the outcome of the game.

I'm sticking with my prediction of a fine.

I am not sure that past performance will guarantee future results in this instance.

I think this is a bit unusual and special. I also believe the penalty this time will be worse than in the past precisely because of Spygate, not despite it.

And to repeat: a fine is not a penalty at all. Not when you are dealing with billionaires.